Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I think that there are two things that bother me. The first is complaints that complex stories, especially ones that adhere to continuity are too hard to understand. And the inability to appreciate any kind of nuance or complexity or shades of grey in characters. I also dislike the fact that most SH villains have to be foaming at the mouths sociopaths to be appreciated.
    Im personally disappointed by the lack of Alan Moore style ambiguity in comic stories. I mean, there are still ambiguous moments in comics (last issue of Batgirl for example) but it just doesn't make you think the way something like V for Vendetta did. I don't blame readers for this, I think readers are willing to accept challenging stories. I think writers need to be a bit more fearless with their work.

BANNED

I guess I can't complain about Hollywood, since it's likely the only thing keeping the industry going. But basically... yech! I also feel revolted at people who's entire culture is all Hollywood and A-List celebrities. So I am not a fan of that fandom in general. Of course, some of them bring good things, I welcome their $$$ and a lot of things I liked as a kid were likely lazily lifted straight off TV just the same. It just feels so unoriginal like they have no lives to write about.

BANNED

I also forgot to add that one of the things that bug me about comic book fans are the fans who are more interested in seeing themselves be represented in comic books. As opposed to good storytelling and well developed characters. I am a Black female and I read about books from all across the spectrum.

I collect comic books for inspiration, escapism and to read about qualities I admire in men and women. If I wanted to only see people like myself, I would go sit in the food court at the mall. Or just tune in to American tv. I have admired people from across the spectrum. Race, age, gender, sexual orientation, nationality etc. means nothing to me. What counts to me is what is on the inside of the person and whether or not they can step up to the plate like a big boy or a big girl when it counts, and show some kind of dignity, fighting spirit and intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Im personally disappointed by the lack of Alan Moore style ambiguity in comic stories. I mean, there are still ambiguous moments in comics (last issue of Batgirl for example) but it just doesn't make you think the way something like V for Vendetta did. I don't blame readers for this, I think readers are willing to accept challenging stories. I think writers need to be a bit more fearless with their work.
    A good well written comic book is akin to performing calisthenics for your brain. That being said, I am all for writers being fearless, as long as fearless does not mean. Let's just throw in cuss words, gratuitous sex and weirdness for the sake of being weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I hate that superhero comics and spank material have become so intertwined that Catwoman no longer displaying so much cleavage we should see areolas started a 19 page thread of a guy whining "But mah titties!"
    Ha !

007 girl.

I hate over-exposure of characters, like seeing Wolverine everywhere.

Although I don't mind over-exposure of Batman, so woe is me.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    I hate over-exposure of characters, like seeing Wolverine everywhere.

Although I don't mind over-exposure of Batman, so woe is me.
    I feel the same way. I guess I wouldn't mind if the character was a favorite of mine, but my favorites are never over-exposed.
    My husband loves seeing Batman in everything, too.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I feel the same way. I guess I wouldn't mind if the character was a favorite of mine, but my favorites are never over-exposed.
    My husband loves seeing Batman in everything, too.
    The worst thing about being a Batman fan... it's harder on the wallet than being a fan of... let's say Klarion the Witch-Boy or Amanda Waller

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Too often, fandom entails getting sucked into disputes you don't really want any part of.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Too often, fandom entails getting sucked into disputes you don't really want any part of.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    And that may start off having something to do with comics, but then eventually ends up being NOTHING about comics.
    And then you walk away with a new list of people to completely avoid for the rest of your life.

But that might just be me?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Comparing power levels (= dick measuring): Who's stronger Hulk, Supes, Sentinel etc. who's faster, smarter?
    I have never understood the appeal at all. Maybe in a Rumbles thread, but there is nothing I find less interesting than massive debates about how some issue or movie is terrible because Thor should totally be able to kill the Hulk with his hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I hate that superhero comics and spank material have become so intertwined that Catwoman no longer displaying so much cleavage we should see areolas started a 19 page thread of a guy whining "But mah titties!"
    I only really noticed when someone complained about Ms. Marvel's costume and their specific criticisms were that it wasn't sexy like the classic Ms. Marvel's and that it covered up too much skin. I was wondering why you'd even care about a teenager not being sexy enough.

Please tell me the person had their characters mixed up and was really complaining about Captain Marvel, and not Ms. Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Please tell me the person had their characters mixed up and was really complaining about Captain Marvel, and not Ms. Marvel.
    Sadly, nope, it was the new one. Erik Larson also whined about it while going on a rant about how DC and Marvel keep giving heroines ugly costumes to appease feminists.

I don't think I've read anything about Kamala Khan in that thread. All I remember was about the evolution of Carol Danvers's costumes IIRC.

I must add that I was more than saddened when I read the post about the misogynist attacks addressed to you, Cold Water.

EDIT : Holt, I trust your memory... I obviously only remember the discussion about Cockrum Ms. Marvel costume...
    Last edited by Abe; 03-15-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I don't think I've read anything about Kamala Khan in that thread. All I remember was about the evolution of Carol Danvers's costumes IIRC.

I must add that I was more than saddened when I read the post about the misogynist attacks addressed to you, Cold Water.

EDIT : Holt, I trust your memory... I obviously only remember the discussion about Cockrum Ms. Marvel costume...
    Aww. Thank you.♡
    But that was not here.
    If it were to happen here, I would report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Sadly, nope, it was the new one. Erik Larson also whined about it while going on a rant about how DC and Marvel keep giving heroines ugly costumes to appease feminists.
    Just...ew.