Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why does everyone consider British cuisine to be terrible?

Around the world, people praise French and Italian cuisine as some of the best culinary creations in the world. But then there are cuisines that aren't apparently held so high.

I know we have people around the world who say negative things about American cuisine such as that it is nothing but a collection of fast food and is therefore trash... but having always been told that all things "British" was to be of sophistication, elegance, and high class, I have always heard that the one thing about Britain that isn't to be admired so much is none other than their cuisine.

Looking at pictures of British cuisine on wikipedia, some of the food looks absolutely attractive in my eyes, such as the Full English breakfast and English afternoon tea. And I kinda love Fish and Chips. Also, I only been to London (and then straight to Paris on the same trip, where I saw edible snails for the first time) once when I was very young and don't remember much of the food I ate there, but I must ask why is British cuisine reviled and shunned by food critics and food enthusiasts so much? What's wrong with it?

Extraordinary Member

Its not the most elegant I admit. However I am a Northener, and the cuisine isn't amazing but I still love it. Nothing beats chips with gravy or beans for me.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Because we love stereotypes. It's easier that way.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I am reminded of the Canada joke...

"Canadians could have had French food, English culture and American government. Instead, they ended up with French government, English food and American culture."

I like English food. I certainly don't think it's any worse than the other European countries.

Asian food is my favourite though. Real Chinese food in China (as opposed to the crap you get in most Chinese restaurants in England) is incredible.

One thing I will say for English food though is we have the best puddings. There's no country in the world with a pudding as good as Rhubarb Crumble, Suet Pudding or Treacle Tart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I am reminded of the Canada joke...

"Canadians could have had French food, English culture and American government. Instead, they ended up with French government, English food and American culture."
    I think that joke is a little over a month past its sell-by date.

1. Fish N Chips
    2. ?
    3. ?

Can't think of anything else that's well known. I know about bangers N mash & blood pudding but that's from dating a couple of British girls. Their food is really not complex at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Their food is really not complex at all.
    Compared to what? Most people's fast food or daily regulars are fairly simple, no matter the nationality. There are complex, involved recipes in British cuisine just like anyone's.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

This is really interesting for me, because I am a Brit living in Italy right now (on tour). And so I am having a crash course in the contrast of the cuisines. And I can categorically say, when it comes to breakfasts, the Italians do NOT rule the school. I think British food is very simple, but simple can be good. Steak and Ale pies (pies in general, really), fish n' chips, a Sunday roast; and GOD I miss avocadoes. Ohhhhh avocado on toast in the mornings, with pancetta. Yum yum yum.

I will say the quality OF THE PRODUCTS in Italy is better, and the pasta really is stunning (and I now am addicted to white pizzas). But British food is comforting; and I would say we do lunches better than most (America rules for breakfasts, and France or Italy for dinner). Also, Italian Chinese take-away... eh.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mushy peas with mint sauce. You can't beat it.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think that joke is a little over a month past its sell-by date.
    I have never claimed my jokes were funny. Actually, no one else has either.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Compared to what? Most people's fast food or daily regulars are fairly simple, no matter the nationality. There are complex, involved recipes in British cuisine just like anyone's.
    Yet somehow you neglected to give us examples of complex, involved British cuisine? Please enlighten us.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I would say it's because it doesn't have as much flavor/flash/flair as Italian or French cuisine. It's not bad perse, but if you asked me if I would rather eat at a British themed pub or an Italian restaurant I would pick the Italian restaurant hands down. But that's just me.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Yet somehow you neglected to give us examples of complex, involved British cuisine? Please enlighten us.
    Some of the best curries in the world are, in fact, English curries.

Bara brith takes some effort and time.

A Sunday roast can be very involved and very fancy, if one so desires.

Chicken tikka masala.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Some of the best curries in the world are, in fact, English curries.

Bara brith takes some effort and time.

A Sunday roast can be very involved and very fancy, if one so desires.

Chicken tikka masala.
    Chicken Tikka Masada is British? For the life of me I thought Indian.

Also, Angus steak, the most popular beef gene in the world comes from the UK. Other countries who "have" Angus steak are really only getting like 75%. Alot of popular stews, pot pies, roasts are generically British based recipes.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom