Super Moderator

Default "Supergirl" Recap: The Toyman Cometh

Winslow "Winn" Schott Jr. spends quality time with Winslow "Insane Criminal" Schott Sr. in a tense hour that's light on action and heavy on angst

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

One thing I'm curious about: a couple times Winslow calls Winn his greatest achievement. This could be taken a few ways: that he's a proud papa (so the comment is simply meant to be at face value), that he sees his son as a glorified toy (Winslow is pretty dispassionate and perhaps sees everything in toy terms), or Winn is a toy himself. Perhaps the real Winn died in that explosion as well and Winn is a toy who thinks he's a man. If the latter, sure, Supergirl could find out easily enough, but only if she suspected.
    Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom; 01-19-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

I don't think that he's a toy, I think that he's just seeing Winn as his greatest creation, getting a little into the creepy territory of seeing his son as being the same or similar to one of his toys...as he seems to know very little about Winn past when they last met.

Really enjoyed this episode. It was dark at times, but also heavy on drama. This show is at its best when there's plenty of drama driving the plot. I'd say this is Winn's best episode to date. It finally gave him a persona beyond that of the dorky guy who couldn't get the cute girl to notice him. Now, there's a different dynamic at work with him and one that seems to be tormenting him. Kara can only do so much and I think this is going to put some distance between her and Winn on top of the distance that's already growing with her and Jimmy. It's going to make her vulnerable in ways that will probably catch up to her soon enough. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member

I liked the ep, also thinking maybe he's a robot kinda thing, but that bit between Lane and James kinda irked me.... it going something like:

Lane: I want to know what you think.
    James: (eventually) I think you should take the job.
    Lane: (angrily?) I'm not asking your permission.

Fantastic Member

Yes, the exchange between Lucy and James did not make much sense to me either. She did ask him what he thought and the conversation did seem to be around whether or not she should take the job, so did I miss something really subtle there? Her anger and her response seemed very misplaced. I also really liked that Cat summarized James' ambivalence about Lucy being at the workplace with reference to "whatever" James and Kara had going. Cat is right about that and proves, again, that she is very astute. I hope that they don't keep her in the dark about Supergirl/Kara much longer. That just wouldn't fit with how on the ball the character is.

I loved the review's point about "white privilege" and Kara and Alex's response to J'onn's concerns about revealing himself. Excellent point. Also, if J'onn "comes out" into the public, Cat will put two and two together in an instant - a shape-shifter who flies who is also friends with Supergirl? Doesn't take much to work out what happened there. I also wonder if the show will give J'onn the full range of his powers. As I recall, the MM's power range includes almost everything Supergirl can do (including eye beams) and more (such as intangibility, shape-shifting, telepathy). His fear of fire is, I hope, something that the show won't develop. The physical effect of his "mind wipe" is also an unexpected (but interesting and logical) development.

One quibble: why on earth couldn't Supergirl fly out of that vat of quicksand? No matter how strong the suction was on that quicksand, there is no way that a woman who can generate enough power to fly at several times the speed of sound as well as carry incredibly heavy items while flying could possibly be held in place by something like that. Toyman should have rigged the vat with explosives or something and said they would go off if she broke free. At least that would have made a bit more sense.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

I found myself doing Photoshop work during the episode, not a good sign if it can't hold my attention better than that.

Astonishing Member

It was an okay episode. When the focus isn't on Supergirl, it does lose something -- and that was the case last night. I did like the creepiness of Toyman though. And I like that Martian Manhunter is playing a bigger part (and that he apparently landed on Earth around the 50s). Nice change of status quo with Max learning Kara's and Alex's secrets. Times are about to get tough for the Danvers girls.

Ultimate Member

Probably right at the time in which Kara will need Winn and Jimmy the most and she's kind of burned bridges with both in some ways so that'll probably hinder her fixing things once she gets attacked...and again I don't think that Winn is a robot or a toy.

Hoshi_Reed

If Winn is a Robot though, instead of having toyman break out again, then they can go for the whole "Copy haywires and kills ADAM" story line - (As soon as they mentioned him I have been waiting to see how he dies) - and the whole "mother" in his head.
    (It would also get rid of the "Man of Steel/Woman of Kleenex issue)

It would also parallel the Flash's Snow = Killer Frost tension.