Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Top female supervillian

Ok Marvel experts, I need to know who is the top female supervillian from the Marvel Universe. The female analog to Dr Doom, Apocalypse, Kang.
    This isn't a simple question. This question can be answered in several levels:

Is she the most powerful/smarter/resouceful?
    Is she the most feared among the marvel characters?
    Is she the most famous in her ranks beyond the comics world?
    Which was her greatest feat?
    Who can fullfill these requirements?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Marvel has really dropped the ball in this area. Emma Frost could have been a great super villain. Black Widow and Elektra should both be totally evil.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Mystique is more of an anti-hero than a villain nowadays. Back in the 80's, there was no question she was a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Ok Marvel experts, I need to know who is the top female supervillian from the Marvel Universe. The female analog to Dr Doom, Apocalypse, Kang.
    This isn't a simple question. This question can be answered in several levels:

Is she the most powerful/smarter/resouceful?
    Is she the most feared among the marvel characters?
    Is she the most famous in her ranks beyond the comics world?
    Which was her greatest feat?
    Who can fullfill these requirements?
    SUPERIA (she just needs a better agent)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Deidre_...28Earth-616%29

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Actually it is Morgan Le Fay, but in the first times of Marvel it was The Enchantress but on last years she was so diminished until some writer returns her to glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Marvel has really dropped the ball in this area. Emma Frost could have been a great super villain. Black Widow and Elektra should both be totally evil.
    That's why I'm asking. I started to think about who was the most relevant villianess but I could pin anyone. Most of the potential characters ended in grey zones.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Jean Grey / Phoenix (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Mystique is more of an anti-hero than a villain nowadays. Back in the 80's, there was no question she was a villain.
    I think you got it backwards. In the past, Mystique had her sympathetic moments and you could almost understand why she was doing what she did. Nowadays, she's essentially written like Marvel's answer to The Joker: a psychotic and murderous witch who pretty much spends all her days betraying and slaying people for the most petty of reasons, and ALWAYS getting away with it.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Actually it is Morgan Le Fay, but in the first times of Marvel it was The Enchantress but on last years she was so diminished until some writer returns her to glory.
    I pretty much agree with this. Back in the eighties Selene was up there, but I don't know what's been done with her since.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Many classic female villains are now good gals or anti-heroines.

Some popular female villains are Madame Masque, Enchantress, Viper, Dark Phoenix, Selene, Deathbird, Lady Bullseye, Lady Deathstrike, Alkhema, Lady Mastermind, Madelyne Pryor, Morgan le Fay, Moonstone and Typhoid Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    SUPERIA (she just needs a better agent)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Deidre_...28Earth-616%29
    I would like to see evil women geniuses like Superia, Nightshade and Monica Rappaccini used more. Those ladies could do with a boost.

Umar was powerful, but never read much with her in.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Truly. As far as I know Morgan Le Fey is the only one that has had some significant appearances for a while. She won a round against Doom in a spell fight in Dark Avengers.

Seems like a lot of the females that start out as being villains get reformed. Medusa was a real femme fatale in the begining but soon changed. It's like the writers are afraid to make them truly bad on a Doctor Doom level or maybe they are afraid to deal with the possible issues of sexuality.

I keep thinking of this kind of obscure movie with Gary Oldman called Romeo is Bleeding where Lena Olin played a really ruthless assassin who even cut off her own arm to escape some handcuffs. That kind of character would have made great comic book supervillain.

Amazing Member

Superia was being set up as a global threat, but that has been derailed. One of Marvel's problems is that they seem to have set "magic" as the only place for upper level ongoing female villains. Umar, Enchantress, Morgan LeFay. Another angle is needed, and it should not be "femme fatale" either. I'm pretty sure its not OK to imply that the pathways to power for women are limited to sex or magic.

Superia, Madame Hydra, and that's it, right? How about a leader of a country, similar to the Queen Bee at the DC? Political Power. How about upgrading Moonstone, I can think of few things more terrifying than a villain with a Captain Marvel level of super-power, backed by the ability to get inside her enemies' heads like a psychiatrist. Against any hero with self doubt, which is almost all of them in Marvel, she could be formidable.

Look at the archetypes for the world class supervillains. Find some niche, write it well. Avoid the femme fatale, woman scorned, and secret crush tropes, and all the others that female villains (and heroes) get written into.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Some popular female villains are Madame Masque, Enchantress, Viper, Dark Phoenix, Selene, Deathbird, Lady Bullseye, Lady Deathstrike, Alkhema, Lady Mastermind, Madelyne Pryor, Morgan le Fay, Moonstone and Typhoid Mary

I would like to see evil women geniuses like Superia, Nightshade and Monica Rappaccini used more. Those ladies could do with a boost.
    Madame Masque - promising, but not "big time"
    Enchantress - gets a pass because of how long she's been around, but she's magic, sex, and woman scorned. no
    Viper - OK
    Dark Phoenix - plot device, not a character
    Selene - magic, sex, no
    Deathbird - promising, but limited
    Lady Bullseye - derivative of a world class male villain
    Lady Deathstrike - promising, but limited, no "big time" aspect to her character
    Alkhema - derivative of a world class male villain (bride of Ultron)
    Lady Mastermind - derivative of a male villain
    Madelyne Pryor - poster girl for Woman scorned, plus sex, plus magic, wow.
    Morgan le Fay - classic
    Moonstone - excellent potential
    Typhoid Mary - great character, not a "big time" possibility.

How many of the above "strong woman characters" have lingerie or worse as a defining costume choice.

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldWestPaladin View Post
    How about upgrading Moonstone, I can think of few things more terrifying than a villain with a Captain Marvel level of super-power, backed by the ability to get inside her enemies' heads like a psychiatrist. Against any hero with self doubt, which is almost all of them in Marvel, she could be formidable
    Moonstone doesn't need a power upgrade, she's plenty powerful already. She just needs to be used more.

I miss Thunderbolts
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong