Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

This will probably sound strange, but I'm here because the comments from the people who post on CBR are often more interesting than the comic books themselves. CBR is an excellent site. And my name happens to be that of my favorite DC character. :-)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, if you stopped reading comics in 1987, before the internet was even really took off, what possessed you to create an online profile on a comic book website?
    There is no rule that says he can't look around is there?

i guess this question is for those who still buy the comic books on a regular basis.

i started collecting when i was a kid, and kind of stopped in college. i still check out the titles once in a while, but got just back when dc released nu 52. it was fun for a while, but lately i've found my pull list reduced to a couple of titles (the two justice league titles).

so anybody out there with the same predicament? i still enjoy reading the justice league titles, but the previous titles i collected has been discontinued, while those that remain seem to be not that interesting anymore.
    I realized why should I rush to the store to buy a book that the public library will have in a few months?

Trades read
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Batwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Blue Beetle
    Firestorm
    Aquaman
    Teen Trainwreck
    Batgirl
    Katana
    Catwoman

I want to read I Vampire but the waiting list is long. Someone keep stealing Harley, Static and Supergirl trades.

Another reason is why should I bother buying these books at cover price when I can wait for them to pop in dollar bins?You know there is an issue when books that just come out are in dollar bins two days later.

So I discovered the art of waiting.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

what will it take for you to stop buying dc comics?

Apparently April's solicits.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Either a price raise or they screw up Milestone again. Kinda hope the latter doesn't happen again. It's not so much that I'm stopping with DC. It's that there's a lot of quality out there right now, so I would rather spend more money on books from other companies, read webcomics, catch up on stuff I missed the first time around, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    what will it take for you to stop buying dc comics?

Apparently April's solicits.

Retired

I pretty much quit everything--all new comics, not just DC--when DC did Flashpoint and restarted everything. They were practically holding open the door for me and telling me this is your chance to get out with no regrets.

Since then, I still spend a good deal on getting back issues of vintage comics.

Lately, though, I've been doing a massive clean-up and organizing everything, to create more living space--so my books and comics don't have more room than me. Now while there are some books and comics I dearly love and they bring back good memories, the enormity of it all is such that most of it seems to be paper. That's it, just a lot of paper. I've spent a good many years amassing a large pile of paper.

I think many of us will reach this point, where there is just so much stuff and you'll never have time in your life to read it all again. And buying more of it just adds to the weight. And it's that--the great burden of it--that drives a person off accumulating any more.

I'm pretty close to it now. I only buy a few books a month. It always has to do with how they treat the characters and whether I like it. Back in the 90s, I dropped everything DC for a few years after the double combo of Emerald Twilight/Zero Hour villified Hal Jordan and wiped out the JSA. The New 52 had much the same effect, though I still found a book or two to keep reading.

Really I just take breaks when I get bored. There's any number of reasons as to why I could get bored.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

LOBDELL ON TITANS HUNT.

I will get JL and JLA #50 and then I'm out. It's not the only time in my 40+ years of reading and loving only DC Comics that I've stepped away for a while but the way Teen Titans and JSA were just shunted to the side really rubbed me wrong. Titans Hunt was a wonderful salve for that fan-wound. And now I'm not even going to buy it. I'm done with DC Comics.

Thank goodness there is the DC "extended universe" to look forward to. I'll be getting my DC fix at the movies and only at the movies for a while I'm sorry to say. It's good timing, given that we're about to embark on the most incredible DC on film year ever, by miles, but I'd like to be reading the comics. I really would. In as much as funny books matter (not enough to get upset about) Lobdell on Titans Hunt is insult to injury. And it's a good jumping off point when I was down to only three books I much liked anyway and Titans Hunt was chief among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I pretty much quit everything--all new comics, not just DC--when DC did Flashpoint and restarted everything. They were practically holding open the door for me and telling me this is your chance to get out with no regrets.

Since then, I still spend a good deal on getting back issues of vintage comics.

Lately, though, I've been doing a massive clean-up and organizing everything, to create more living space--so my books and comics don't have more room than me. Now while there are some books and comics I dearly love and they bring back good memories, the enormity of it all is such that most of it seems to be paper. That's it, just a lot of paper. I've spent a good many years amassing a large pile of paper.

I think many of us will reach this point, where there is just so much stuff and you'll never have time in your life to read it all again. And buying more of it just adds to the weight. And it's that--the great burden of it--that drives a person off accumulating any more.
    I totally understand.
    A few years ago, I was moving 50 miles away... in a truck... in the rain...
    And one load was just comics.
    And... that was after giving a friend of mine a few boxes.

Since then, I've pared it down to three or four boxes of "important" books. Mostly things I haven't replaced in digital, yet.
    I look forward to the day where I'll have everything in digital with a few runs I cherish in print (like Allred's Madman and the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Probably budget and if there's absolutely nothing I want to get (which I don't imagine will happen).

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    LOBDELL ON TITANS HUNT.
    Wait, wat?

It's not usually the best idea to hire the guy who made the wound to perform the surgery...
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 01-19-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Bob Harras remaining as DC's EiC and Eddie Berganza as the Supeman group editor for another year.....

But even then I would probably still buy Batman as long as Snyder was on it, Sinestro as long as Bunn was still on it, and anything that Tom King had going on at the company.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

As long as they have decent writers and artists writing and drawing characters I like, nothing will probably make me drop the entire line.

Well, unless they turn into explicitly greedy trolls like Marvel.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Since DC screwed John Stewart over with 2 cancellations that had nothing to do with sales and put him back in the background for Guy Gardner in Edge of Oblivion, then I decided not to purchase no more DC comics titles. DC really loves spitting on John Stewart fans.