Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

They're getting close, honestly. Every month that Hawkman's absent from DC's solicitations disappoints me that much more. I adore the DC Universe, but Hawkman is central to my fondness for it, and his current absence makes it a lot less interesting of a place from my perspective.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Some places are worse then others but that does seem to be the case. I know it is the case in most of the fandoms and hobbies I'm involved with.
    Yeah, it's definitely more prevalent in "nerd" hobbies. Tabletop/TCG gaming can get real awful. Video gaming not so much, but it's up there too. I'd still say comic fandom seems to be the worse, imo.

I mean it doesn't surprise me, per se, car enthusiasts, hardcore cooks, gardeners, etc may all have their share of ppl who quit the hobby/product and still go out of their way to troll decades later. I guess I'd just expect it to be 1 out of 100000s
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 01-20-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely more prevalent in "nerd" hobbies. Tabletop/TCG gaming can get real awful. Video gaming not so much, but it's up there too. I'd still say comic fandom seems to be the worse, imo.

I mean it doesn't surprise me, per se, car enthusiasts, hardcore cooks, gardeners, etc may all have their share of ppl who quit the hobby/product and still go out of their way to troll decades later. I guess I'd just expect it to be 1 out of 100000s
    "Nerd hobbies"? I think I like that phrase. May have to steal it from you.

Anyway other then CBR I tend to stay away from forums that deal all the other fandoms I'm involved with because a lot of the time the "nerd rage" is off the charts. I even have to leave CBR on occasion when it gets bad here but it's not yet been bad enough for me to leave completely so that's something I guess.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I totally understand.
    A few years ago, I was moving 50 miles away... in a truck... in the rain...
    And one load was just comics.
    And... that was after giving a friend of mine a few boxes.

Since then, I've pared it down to three or four boxes of "important" books. Mostly things I haven't replaced in digital, yet.
    I look forward to the day where I'll have everything in digital with a few runs I cherish in print (like Allred's Madman and the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI).
    In the process of doing this now, pairing down comics. When I got to my New 52 craze it was easy. Wow, so many bad titles. I bought 2 of every number one of New 52 and kept buying most titles until issues 7 or so. I donated them to the library where future readers will be introduced to the world of comics with titles like Leifeld's Hawk and Dove, Our Army at War and Resurrection man.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    In the process of doing this now, pairing down comics. When I got to my New 52 craze it was easy. Wow, so many bad titles. I bought 2 of every number one of New 52 and kept buying most titles until issues 7 or so. I donated them to the library where future readers will be introduced to the world of comics with titles like Leifeld's Hawk and Dove, Our Army at War and Resurrection man.
    Hehe...

There's two ways to look at it...
    Either it'll scare them away from comics early and save them from the curse of eventually being a disgruntled comics fan or it'll make everything they read after look like Watchmen and they'll be easier to please.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

I guess I'll stop buying DC comics if they ever stop publishing Superman comics. But 'til then....

I haven't regularly since 2001. I read for 25 yrs though & have such an attachment to comics that I'll always check into these boards just to see how things are. I still buy old comics occasionally so I'll always have a connection to the industry. I don't see myself buying monthly books though. My library has loads of trades so when I get an itch, I'm covered.

I was just bored with comics when I stopped reading. I was already down to maybe 3 or 4 books. I hadn't read heavily since the late 80's. Nothing at the time interested me. "Our Worlds at War" bored me & the Dark Knight sequel did nothing for me. When I've ventured back into a shop, the prices are a turn off. I started reading when comics when they were $.30 so paying $4 for a book is tough to swallow. My max weekly budget back in the day was maybe $15. That's not going to get many comics now. I grew up reading most DC & Marvel books. Now, I'd probably only buy 3 books a month.

I've been away so long, the characters are so different. I'm fine just visiting the characters through library trades & staying connected with the message boards.

I am 33 years old. I started collecting comics back in 1992/1993 when I was 10, the Knightfall storyline in the Batman books was what really got me hooked. I stuck with only the Batman books throughout the 1990s, then in the early 2000's I added Superman and Green Arrow, and by the mid 2000s (around the time of Infinite Crisis and 52) I was adding a LOT of other DCU books and a few Marvel and independent books to my pull list. I probably peaked around 2008 or so when I was pulling about 40 books a month. (Shout out to Elite Comics in Overland Park, Kansas, they are a great shop and I start going there in 1994.) Also around the mid to late 2000s, in addition to my monthly books I also went crazy buying up lots of older comics on eBay and trade paperbacks on Amazon.

I was really disappointed with the existence of the new 52, I felt like all of the characters and storylines that I had been investing in for years was all being wiped out, but I gave the new books a try for a couple years. I started cutting titles in 2013 just because I was getting bored with a lot of the writing, I thought the quality of the books wasn't there like it used to be. I have also had a lot of personal things going on the last couple years ( I just got out of a bad relationship). I am just at the point where I feel like I need a break from new comics, because I was having a hard time keeping up with the few remaining ones I was buying, and I already have enough comics to go back and re-read. The last series I was collecting was Batman 66, and that just ended last month so I am done for now. I have no current plans to start picking up any new titles but I am not ruling anything out for the future.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 01-21-2016 at 05:11 AM.

It would take DC not producing any comics I want to buy.

That or killing babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I haven't regularly since 2001. I read for 25 yrs though & have such an attachment to comics that I'll always check into these boards just to see how things are. I still buy old comics occasionally so I'll always have a connection to the industry. I don't see myself buying monthly books though. My library has loads of trades so when I get an itch, I'm covered.

I was just bored with comics when I stopped reading. I was already down to maybe 3 or 4 books. I hadn't read heavily since the late 80's. Nothing at the time interested me. "Our Worlds at War" bored me & the Dark Knight sequel did nothing for me. When I've ventured back into a shop, the prices are a turn off. I started reading when comics when they were $.30 so paying $4 for a book is tough to swallow. My max weekly budget back in the day was maybe $15. That's not going to get many comics now. I grew up reading most DC & Marvel books. Now, I'd probably only buy 3 books a month.

I've been away so long, the characters are so different. I'm fine just visiting the characters through library trades & staying connected with the message boards.
    I'm pretty much the same except that I come back every couple years and buy a ton of comics and wind up following only a few titles and then I eventually lose interest again. Right now only Justice League, Titans Hunt, and Batman are worthwhile reads to me. I haven't gotten Omega Men, which I'm sure is great, because I never cared for the characters and I don't know King's work. Maybe I'd love it. I've never really gone for the cosmic stuff whether OM, Rann, Thanagar, New Gods, or even (for a pretty long time now) the GL stuff. Maybe I'd love Midnighter too. I don't care about the character (I like that he's a prominent gay character but I don't know him otherwise) so I haven't tried it. The other very popular series here is Grayson and I'd think I'd love that since Dick Grayson is in like a five-way tie for my very favorite character but I read the first issue and the spy stuff was boring to me. I read DC for superheroes and if I can't have Dick Grayson as Robin I'll take Nightwing.

All-New Member

I don't think anything can make me stop reading DC completely. I love the characters and the DCU too much. I am not always happy with the decisions they make or certain story directions but I have been reading comics for over 20 years and almost exclusively DC so I expect to see highs and lows.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

When they cancel Aquaman,Grayson, Red Hood & Aresnal,Titans Hunt,and Superman:Lois & Clark
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm down to just Aquaman.
    I was a huge 20+ DC monthly buyer in the 90's
    In the '00's was at about 8-10
    Nu52 hit and I tried hard core, boosted up to 16, cancels hit and some titles the direction was off putting(Firestorm), editorial choices(changing Wally West)

Aquaman hits #50 in a few months...we'll see.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It would take DC not producing any comics I want to buy.

That or killing babies.
    You do know Black Manta killed Aquaman's son right?
    I have no beef with Vegans

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Wasn't there an issue of Demon Knights that included an infant sacrifice?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime