Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: What Have Comics Fans Done To Deserve The "Lucifer" Pilot?

Damned by its own sinfully stupid choices, Fox's "Lucifer" is bad, not wickedly entertaining.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

Oh.I forgot about this show.Looks like that was a good thing

Ugh. Sounds as awful as I thought it would be. Hopefully Gaiman and Carey got a payday out of this, because that's the only upside I see to this hack job.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

It wasn't bad all. I quite enjoyed it. Just watch this show as a tv show and not an adaption it's Lucifer in name only.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

In other words, just another police procedural/buddy cop show.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Holy ****... first Shadowhunters, now this? Not gonna lie... I kinda enjoy watching really bad supernatural shows. The genre just really isn't my thing, but when it's done badly, I love them

Honestly thought this show would be good and I could ignore it. Sad, considering how loved the source material is
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

come on, OP, don't tell people what to do. It's a decent, entertaining show. Sure, it's not the Lucifer we all wanted, but a supernatural crime drama, or however you people label this stuff these days, is a good addition. Hey, maybe it'll change its direction after the first few episodes, you don't know that.

If anything, let people decide for themselves, since pilots can be very deceiving these days.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-19-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: rude

Incredible Member

The author pretty well sums up my feelings about this when I saw the pilot. Pretty bad.

That said, I think that the lead, at least, would have been at least serviceable- if not downright good- in the role of the Lucifer character if they'd stuck more closely to the source material rather than trying to change this into yet another semi-procedural, and one with the most cursory of script treatments. Ms. Puchko is spot-on when she talks about the dialogue, which is hackneyed and clichéd.

BANNED

Generally speaking, there's nothing wrong with a review comparing the subject to similar works by way of analysis, but I found this reviewer's use of the technique pretty off point, in a way that made me doubt the overall analysis. I find it hard to believe that the reviewer actually thinks that there's any real suspense to be derived over wondering whether Carter will make it through a fight unscathed. As with Lucifer, she's the star so, as with Lucifer, of course she will. And iZombie is probably my favorite comic book-derived TV show right now, but I have rarely found any significant dramatic tension generated by Liv's fear of discovery.

That aside . . . I wasn't expecting much from this, based on the trailers, so I'm hardly surprised by the verdict. But I find it hard to believe that it's the worst thing ever, as the review seems to be pushing. Derivative and formulaic? Sure. it's a network TV show, after all. But even those can have their moments and charms.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWithTwoCats View Post
    come on, OP, don't tell people what to do. It's a decent, entertaining show. Sure, it's not the Lucifer we all wanted, but a supernatural crime drama, or however you people label this stuff these days, is a good addition. Hey, maybe it'll change it's direction after the first few episodes, you don't know that.

If anything, let people decide for themselves, since pilots can be very deceiving these days.
    The problem with that is these days you can't get away with bad pilots. Audiences will punish you for it. It amazes me this was even green lit based off this pilot. Three episodes tops and this is canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    The problem with that is these days you can't get away with bad pilots. Audiences will punish you for it. It amazes me this was even green lit based off this pilot. Three episodes tops and this is canceled.
    Well, I definitely can't be the only one who liked the pilot. I really liked the supernatural element and the familiar character(-s) and setting are a big bonus for me. There were angels, there will be demons, all sorts of way where this show can go (if you read the books you probably know it already). Why isn't the cop lady falling for his charms? What's going on in Hell? What about the Heaven? I wanna know all that just from the pilot episode. That's why I think it has a lot of potential, and people should give it a shot, by looking past the procedural cop drama. I do not think the entire show will be like that.

And from another point of view: Imagine you're a showrunner or a writer and you have this big scheme all planned out across the whole season. You start off slowly to build things up, to get to that payout in the end, but then a bunch of people on the internet start screaming "THIS IS NOT THE CONSTANTINE WE WANTED!!!" Of course it's the numbers that killed the show, but whose fault is that? Point is I don't want the same to happen to Lucifer.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-19-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: rude

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    That aside . . . I wasn't expecting much from this, based on the trailers, so I'm hardly surprised by the verdict. But I find it hard to believe that it's the worst thing ever, as the review seems to be pushing. Derivative and formulaic? Sure. it's a network TV show, after all. But even those can have their moments and charms.
    Well, worst thing ever is a bit too dramatic, but I personally can't stand police procedurals. And seeing a beloved comic book being turned into one is salt on the wound. But who knows? Maybe they will slowly change the show to become more like the comic, or at least more interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Narciso View Post
    Well, worst thing ever is a bit too dramatic, but I personally can't stand police procedurals. And seeing a beloved comic book being turned into one is salt on the wound.
    Not every cop/detective show is automatically a police procedural; the name refers to a specific subgenre with certain characteristics . I haven't seen the pilot, but nothing in that review makes it sound anything like an actual procedural.

Generally speaking, there's nothing wrong with a review comparing the subject to similar works by way of analysis, but I found this reviewer's use of the technique pretty off point, in a way that made me doubt the overall analysis. I find it hard to believe that the reviewer actually thinks that there's any real suspense to be derived over wondering whether Carter will make it through a fight unscathed. As with Lucifer, she's the star so, as with Lucifer, of course she will. And iZombie is probably my favorite comic book-derived TV show right now, but I have rarely found any significant dramatic tension generated by Liv's fear of discovery.

You can't keep telling everyone how awesome Agent Carter is unless you worm it into everything you can, regardless on how pointless the comparison is. Everyone knows this..

Fantastic Member

Not every cop/detective show is automatically a police procedural; the name refers to a specific subgenre with certain characteristics . I haven't seen the pilot, but nothing in that review makes it sound anything like an actual procedural.
    Well, I hate those shows that have a cop or detective and every episode is a different crime they're solving. Whatever they're called, I find them very dull. However, I manage to look past it if the show has fantasy/sci-fi genre elements that are very well done, like X-Files in the first seasons. Lucifer doesn't sound like the fantastic elements make up for the dull bits.