DeadGearHead

Default Azrael - JPV or ML, and does the Order of St. Dumas as it was exist in New 52

This will seem kind of dumb, but I was a huge fan of Azrael from Sword Of, through the conclusion of the first Azrael series. The past week I got really excited to see Azrael in a JPV style suit on the cover of Batman and Robin Eternal, but it looks like it is Michael and not JPV behind the mask.

I know JPV as AzBat was part of convergence, but felt half done with what was presented. Is JPV dead within New52? Did he ever exist on that earth? Does the original Order of St Dumas even exist?

Early on during the new 52 run, I thought maybe the Court of Owls was the New 52 Order of St. Dumas, and Azrael was now Talon...but no...

Help clear things up for me here...the concept and design of the JPV Azrael was awesome.

Incredible Member

As of Batman and Robin: Eternal Jean-Paul Valley is officially part of the New 52 along with the Order of St. Dumas. Personally I feel like both, or at least JPV, would have been better utilized in Earth-2: Society but DC had other plans apparently.

You basically just have to read the Azrael focused issues of Batman and Robin Eternal, because it's literally about the reboot's version of JPV and the St. Dumas.

Like literally, you lucked out in asking this question right now, because there are exactly four issues about him that basically reintroduce his character, one of which came out today.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I don't mean to bring this thread up from years ago but I have a question. How come the ML Azrael never went to digital print to buy?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

To anyone who might stumble in here:

READ SWORD OF AZRAEL!!! IT IS AWESOME!!!!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    I don't mean to bring this thread up from years ago but I have a question. How come the ML Azrael never went to digital print to buy?
    I guess the sad answer is it didn't sell well enough and with JPV back it's not a priority. It's my hope that if Watters can do another Az series it features Michael, too.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    Woah thread necro, but also Azrael is awesome!

Sadly, there's still a bunch of stuff from 2009-2011 that didn't get transferred to digital yet. It's very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    To anyone who might stumble in here:READ SWORD OF AZRAEL!!! IT IS AWESOME!!!!
    It is AMAZING! I adore that new Dan Watters/Nicholas Cizmesija series so much. So rich in faith, philosophy, scifi, and character - plus jaw dropping art!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I guess the sad answer is it didn't sell well enough and with JPV back it's not a priority. It's my hope that if Watters can do another Az series it features Michael, too.
    That would be amazing. I loved the new Sword of Azrael. I wish they would do another!