Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    What is people's problem with with Tynion? Everything of his I've read (mostly Batman Eternal and some scatter one-off stories) has been great. He has a nice handle on writing the teen heroes AS teenagers. And his Superman/Batman story was solid.
    General complaints I've heard about him stem from both the bad pacing of Batman Eternal and RHATO fans despising his run on the comic.

For the former, I think that was forgivable when you look at it as an inexperienced writer overseeing such a large project, which I think is clearly rectified in Batman and Robin Eternal right now, while the latter is a run I actually liked, but seems to be rejected by the majority of the online fans.

I tend to disagree with them since I thought Tynion gave us a great Cheshire and Arsenal relationship, a storyline where Ra's Al Ghul came out on top in a story featuring Image character rejects I never cared for in the first place, and my general tastes running more in line with Tynion's writing than Lobdell's. I mean, I still thought the arc was pretty flawed, but...I still felt that flawed arc was far more engaging and interesting than anything else Lobdell dropped on it outside of a few standalone issues.

Of course, I've also got a massive bias against Lobdell, since aim actually a fan of Tim Drake, Superboy, Bart Allen, and Wondergirl, and I think he, at best, was very much the wrong writer for a job that was going to be screwed over a little bit by editorial no matter what, and that his best stuff in the New 52 is piddly; I'll admit he clearly knows how to right Jason and Roy, but his plots still strike me as uninspired and generally boring, while Tynion strikes me as the opposite, favoring bigger and more interesting plots marred by a heavy handed characterization.

But hey, at least Tynion can write a Tim Drake and a Jason Todd in a fun story with a generally threatening villain. That's more than I've thought Lobdell can do.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Tyrion has just yet to really make an impact. He has no Black Mirror, or Grayson, or Batgirl even under his belt. Some of his stuff has hit while some has missed. Hes capable of doing a decent story, but he hasn't really done anything that makes u think he's gonna blow it away.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-20-2016 at 01:15 AM.

BANNED

More importantly Tynion so far has merely been Snyder's sidekick. Everything he writes is just to solidify Snyder's work,if Scott wants to tell something but doesn't want to do it himself he just calls Tynion. His one and done stories have been good but his ideas for the Bat family and his extended storylines are just bleh.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Tyrion has just yet to really make an impact. He has no Black Mirror, or Grayson, or Batgirl even under his belt. Some of his stuff has hit while some has missed. He capable of doing a decent story, but he hasn't really done anything that make u think he's gonna blow it away.
    I'd say his best work is The Woods. I liked it quite a bit (I read first 7 or 8 issues. Damn, now i kinda miss it...). But as for DC work, yeah, I don't think anything has ever made me think he'd be anything more than a serviceable writer on 2nd-tier titles for DC.

edit:
    oh yeah, duh, topic. I don't mind the change, since T&T imply they will be doing something more on Dick later.

I'm guessing he becomes the leader of Spyral...while still being an Owl. Imagine all the intrigue and subterfuge they can write w/ that setup.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 01-20-2016 at 12:00 AM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Anyone read anything from this new creative team? I saw Hacktivist getting some praise but never actually bothered to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Anyone read anything from this new creative team? I saw Hacktivist getting some praise but never actually bothered to check it out.
    Ya, the only thing I have read from these guys is their eternal stuff.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

What is people's problem with with Tynion? Everything of his I've read (mostly Batman Eternal and some scatter one-off stories) has been great. He has a nice handle on writing the teen heroes AS teenagers. And his Superman/Batman story was solid.
    Yeah I do not get it too, his recent Batman end game annual was fantastic!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    This thread's title is a little misleading as it's just a temporary change for Grayson.
    Oh thank you for that. I was really worried there for a moment!

Mainly I find something a little lacking in the emotional beats. Certainly his interpretation of a number of long-established characters doesn't gel well with the way I see them, so we're not entirely compatible as writer and reader.

He's a decent enough plotter and storyteller, and the characters he's fleshed out from scratch work well. I just don't think his strengths are within a shared universe. Original stuff - or at least original characters - would seem to be his forte.

Getting back to the subject of the thread though: I am going to be very sad in April when the Seeley/King/Janin-less issue of Grayson comes out. Though at keast there'll be Omega Men and Suicide Squad to give me a partial fix. Not sure I want to dive into a massive Superman crossover for Janin, though I'd have done it if it'd been a done in one. Sigh. At least he's done the Grayson cover. Hopefully he'll do the ones that follow it as well.
    Last edited by jules; 01-20-2016 at 05:14 AM.

I don't really know them, would not be able to say which Eternal Issues they wrote. They seemingly got a guide from Seeley and King so it probably won't be such a big change. It is still sad that they both leave, especially since a tight connection between GR-MN-SS is now not as likely anymore and King off it is a great loss because people have just started following him to other books as a writer.

I hope it really is just temporary and I hope the reason Seeley and King leave has something to do with the thing King is working on with Snyder and Johns.

Well it would be unfair to judge them on Eternal weekly either way. Nobody seams able to do their A game on these things.

When I read the solicits I thought it was just they are taking a break. Anyway see how the new guys go if it is for an arc.

Spectacular Member jdmorris1124's Avatar

Did I miss that Mikel Janin is also off the book? He posted this on his twitter and changed his profile pic to it as well (it looks amazing btw)

CZHmYMoWwAE_TVk.jpg

NM I reread April's solicitations and saw this:

SUPERMAN #51
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art by MIKEL JANIN
    Last edited by jdmorris1124; 01-20-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdmorris1124 View Post
    Did I miss that Mikel Janin is also off the book? He posted this on his twitter and changed his profile pic to it as well (it looks amazing btw)

CZHmYMoWwAE_TVk.jpg

NM I reread April's solicitations and saw this:

SUPERMAN #51
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art by MIKEL JANIN
    Talk from Twitter is that whatever is happening next in Dickland with King and Seeley, Janin will be a part of it - whether that's a return to "Grayson", a new title being launched, or some combination of the three taking over another title.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I hope they take a break to create a mindbending and brilliant Suicide Squad/ Grayson crossover.