Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Since the OP resurrected this thread, I would remiss not to mention the publications of Jack Chick.

I confess I never read any of them, so I can't recommend them one way or the other. But they are famous, or at least infamous.
    Ah, Jack Chick, the Uwe Boll of religion, aiming for 100% serious, but laugh out loud hilarious, especially when writing about something he had no knowledge, like RPGs.

They're all legally online here: https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I would assume that many of the Christians making comics intend their comics to be acceptable to/enjoyable for a Christian audience. I'm not sure Chuck Dixon is deliberately spitting in the eye of his religion or something. Christopher Priest or Ethan Van Sciver. Al Hartley.
    Ethan Van Sciver isn't a Christian's arsehole.

I would assume that many of the Christians making comics intend their comics to be acceptable to/enjoyable for a Christian audience. I'm not sure Chuck Dixon is deliberately spitting in the eye of his religion or something. Christopher Priest or Ethan Van Sciver. Al Hartley.
    I seem to remember something about Van Sciver, but what Christian comics did Priest and Dixon do?

Mike Baron's BADGER flirted with religious subjects off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    What are some comics for christians besides kingstone comics?
    I was hoping to get a comic for a christian friend.
    Question, what do you concider a Comic for Christians ?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Question, what do you concider a Comic for Christians ?
    Something that does not blaspheme the christian God, and does not have too much sex in it.

Try:
    - Little Nemo
    -Tintin

Something that does not blaspheme the christian God, and does not have too much sex in it.
    Well, I was going to suggest Jason Aaron's The Goddamned or Cullen Bunn's Dark Ark, both of which I found to be really well done and I consider myself a Christian Fundamentalist. Both books series have very interesting takes on The Flood event and while not at all Biblically accurate, they were entertaining nonetheless.

I think you'll find the vast majority of comics do not blaspheme the Christian god or have too much sex in them.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I think you'll find the vast majority of comics do not blaspheme the Christian god or have too much sex in them.
    Preacher blaspheme the christian God. Hellblazer does not paint a positive picture of God, either.
    Lucifer shows God in a rather negative light.
    Many comics today does blaspheme against the christian God.

Preacher blaspheme the christian God. Hellblazer does not paint a positive picture of God, either.
    Lucifer shows God in a rather negative light.
    Many comics today does blaspheme against the christian God.
    Well, don't read those three then.

I had found kingstone comics to fit my criteria for christian comics.
    Posting this for all who wants to read christian comics.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

John Ostrander's SPECTRE run is largely written from a Judeo-Christian perspective.

That said, it's not a fundamentalist take. There might be things some Christians would find offensive. But I'm a Christian and it's one of my absolute favorite comic book runs ever.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I like Elliot S! Maggin's technique of breaking down religious connections for characters, but not bringing them up explicitly, as far as the DCU goes. It informs the writing without affecting the cosmogony of the world.
    Elliot S! Maggin's approach to Superman in his prose novels is fascinating. They feel very religious, but in a universal sense. I think people from various religious traditions could appreciate the texture. I'm not sure I'm doing it justice the way I'm describing it.

The old Spire comics were mentioned. My favorite growing up was God's Smuggler.

One that I have not seen mentioned is the Tullus series, circa 1950s-1970s. The series is set shortly after the death and resurrection of Christ and is about a young Christian Roman who travels all over the ancient world and has various adventures. It was originally published as a comic strip in a Sunday School newspaper, then collected into a series of pocket-size graphic novels:

Tullus and the Vandals of the North
    Tullus and the Deadly Whirlpool
    Tullus and the Kidnapped Prince
    Tullus and the Ransom Gold
    Tullus and the Dark City
    Tullus and the Monsters of the Deep

I have a couple of these, they are really good.

After googling I saw that there was a 2016 reprint of some of the material available on Kindle. And also there seemed to be a revival of sorts in the early 1990s, with some reworked floppies having been made. I haven't looked into either of those personally.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    [B]I seem to remember something about Van Sciver[/B], but what Christian comics did Priest and Dixon do?

Mike Baron's BADGER flirted with religious subjects off and on.
    He is pretty right wing to the point to still thinking the cold war is happening. He got into a long debate with people on here in these exact community forums from what I remember. I don't know if he did any Christain comics. Though, rightwing doesn't always mean you are a Christain.