Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Preacher. Its about a minister who has lost his faith, has fallen into alcoholism, and his journey to set his life back on track and find God.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 04-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Surely most comics are for Christians???? Or do you mean a comic that specifically explores Christianity?
    As a Christian I tend to have more pangs of conscience than non-christians do so I can't just read, watch or listen to everything. The more I guard my heart and mind, the easier my life as a Christian will be (not saying that it will ever be easy, just easier).

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    As a Christian I tend to have more pangs of conscience than non-christians do so I can't just read, watch or listen to everything.
    Ah, yes, because only Christians have conscience or presence of mind.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Ah, yes, because only Christians have conscience or presence of mind.
    Actually, it's because people have different standards. For example, maybe John Doe can look at nudity with no issues at all but my conscience won't allow me to. It's not a judgement against him. What he does is his business as long as it doesn't involve me.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Actually, it's because people have different standards. For example, maybe John Doe can look at nudity with no issues at all but my conscience won't allow me to. It's not a judgement against him. What he does is his business as long as it doesn't involve me.
    "John Doe" is an everyman, potentially anyone.

As a Christian I tend to have more pangs of conscience than non-christians do
    Has nothing to do with "I have more pangs of conscience than some people." You're saying that you have more of a conscience,, more "issues" of conscience, than all non-Chrisitians, because you're a Christian.

You have to know that's not true. And, insulting. "It's not a judgment against him." Yes, it is. It might not be a condemnation, but it's certainly a judgment, and a condescending one at that. Framing "looking at nudity," as an issue of conscience that you have and John Doe does not, alone, is a judgment call.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

i saw a book in target or something called action bible, it seemed to be the bible stories but animated as a comic book

BANNED

Those old Spire Christian Archies are pretty fun, too. Good art by Al Hartley, although the characters can get scarily glassy-eyed when they're really feeling the Holy Spirit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    "John Doe" is an everyman, potentially anyone.

Has nothing to do with "I have more pangs of conscience than some people." You're saying that you have more of a conscience,, more "issues" of conscience, than all non-Chrisitians, because you're a Christian.

You have to know that's not true. And, insulting. "It's not a judgment against him." Yes, it is. It might not be a condemnation, but it's certainly a judgment, and a condescending one at that. Framing "looking at nudity," as an issue of conscience that you have and John Doe does not, alone, is a judgment call.
    Sorry, I'm struggling to find a way to frame my words so that you won't be offended. I can't find the words. I don't have the words. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to express myself in a non-offensive manner.

As a Christian I tend to have more pangs of conscience than non-christians do so I can't just read, watch or listen to everything. The more I guard my heart and mind, the easier my life as a Christian will be (not saying that it will ever be easy, just easier).
    I too am a Christian; and I pretty much can read anything. Different strokes As for GOOD comics is 100% recommend the OP's friend read Young Avengers. Simple to buy in one big omnibus, award winning/critically loved, GORGEOUS art; super easy to just read without any context. It has no Christian exploration, though (if that is indeed the focus).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I too am a Christian; and I pretty much can read anything. Different strokes As for GOOD comics is 100% recommend the OP's friend read Young Avengers. Simple to buy in one big omnibus, award winning/critically loved, GORGEOUS art; super easy to just read without any context. It has no Christian exploration, though (if that is indeed the focus).
    Thank you. I've read a lot of Young Avengers (I'm a big Cassie Lang fan - no pun intended). All I know now is that most of the YA have moved on to better things and I'm kinda (VERY) disappointed with Cassie's development. BUT that's a topic for a different thread.

BANNED

Didn't Rob Liefeld create some bible comics?

Actually, it's because people have different standards. For example, maybe John Doe can look at nudity with no issues at all but my conscience won't allow me to.
    Is it because you have trouble viewing nudity in a non-sexual manner?

Not having a crack, I'm genuinely curious.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Is it because you have trouble viewing nudity in a non-sexual manner?

Not having a crack, I'm genuinely curious.
    I guess I should have said nudity that's obviously meant to make you think a certain type of way. You know? It's not that I can't look at the naked human form but when a character is just like "look at my sexy body" I have to say no to that. And I can look at provocative art without trouble sometimes but I would rather not because it could put images in my head that I know I shouldn't entertain. That "knowing" I guess is what I would call my conscience, and my conscience is built on what the bible tells me is God's desire for my way of life. So if looking at certain images causes me to lust after someone, my conscience kicks in and tells me I'm acting against the words of Jesus Christ. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Others may not take those words so strictly but as for the way I live my life, I try to adhere to them. I think it pays off. Being careful about what I watch and listen to keeps me from thinking about certain things, and potentially avoiding the temptation to do something that could hurt me or someone I love in some way, shape or form. I don't have time to worry about what other people are doing, much less think I'm better than anyone else (which would be wrong as well).

BANNED

I guess I should have said nudity that's obviously meant to make you think a certain type of way. You know? It's not that I can't look at the naked human form but when a character is just like "look at my sexy body" I have to say no to that. And I can look at provocative art without trouble sometimes but I would rather not because it could put images in my head that I know I shouldn't entertain. That "knowing" I guess is what I would call my conscience, and my conscience is built on what the bible tells me is God's desire for my way of life. So if looking at certain images causes me to lust after someone, my conscience kicks in and tells me I'm acting against the words of Jesus Christ. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
    That does not mean that you should not look at naked women (or images of such). It means you shouldn't do so with the intent of lusting after her.
    It basically means "look at whatever you want but keep your mind out of the gutter". Looking at nudity with the intent of reading a great story seems perfectly fine.
    Nevermind that there's tons of nudity in the bible.

If somebody can't look at nudity without lust then the issue is not the nudity but the person, and not looking at nudity is not going to make this person any more or less sinful.

Others may not take those words so strictly but as for the way I live my life, I try to adhere to them. I think it pays off. Being careful about what I watch and listen to keeps me from thinking about certain things, and potentially avoiding the temptation to do something that could hurt me or someone I love in some way, shape or form. I don't have time to worry about what other people are doing, much less think I'm better than anyone else (which would be wrong as well).
    I can dig that. I've found myself that the best way to resist temptation is to avoid it.