Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

First time Cap Marvel reader and I loved this.

I didn't like this. The writing style was irritating. The art was horrible. I get that comics are trying not to sexualize the female characters anymore, but do they have to draw her like a boy now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I didn't like this. The writing style was irritating. The art was horrible. I get that comics are trying not to sexualize the female characters anymore, but do they have to draw her like a boy now?
    If you didn't like it, that's fair. I disagree, I thought this was a magnificent debut. But if you think the art made Carol look like a boy, then you really need to look at more women. They come in all different kinds of shapes and sizes, you know. I thought Anka did a fantastic job of making the good Captain look both wicked strong and quite beautiful. I dare say, this Carol shows less skin than most, but this was among the sexiest she's ever been.

Short hair and no big boobs = OMG she looks like a man!
    Seriously,this is so stupid. In general this is just Anka's style, he drawn all women like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I dare say, this Carol shows less skin than most, but this was among the sexiest she's ever been.
    I was more referring to the scene where she was in just a sports bra and had a 12 pack and jacked arms. Even male heroes don't look so toned.
    Also, the art wasn't what made me really dislike the book, I read plenty of books with terrible art. Like, stuff my daughter could draw better than. The writing turned me off, Carol's appearance was more an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Short hair and no big boobs = OMG she looks like a man!
    Seriously,this is so stupid. In general this is just Anka's style, he drawn all women like that.
    lol, to be fair though, she has always had boobs before. Other people get mad when they make white characters black or replace male heroes with females, I guess I'm the one who gets mad when boobs get retconned. They just retconned 3 cup sizes.

BANNED

Well Carol Danvers, you actually aren't always completely horrible! I'm shocked! KSD poaching Cap Marvel's solo for years was clearly a mistake on Marvels part.

- I was weary at first, this started EXACTLY like the last time she left earth for a while (I'm blanking if that was her last series or Guardians honestly). The Rhodey also sort of falls flat for me. If this relationship EVER developed or do they just meet and pretend they've been dating off panel and we're supposed to care? I need to see them out together for it to count and I don't recall many scenes of them together with out her leaving for space.

- No sign of her stupid cat (or whatever it was). What a dumb subplot.

- No generic women warriors! Good work using Alpha Flight as her back up. Those generic aliens just didn't cut it nor did time-warped fighter pilots, who of course all HAD to be women because Carol is.

- I'll be interested to see who the villain is here. One of Carol's biggest issues is generic villains.

- Still not sold on her outfit. It gets a little better each time it's redone,but it's still somewhat generic looking. So glad the stupid helmet is gone too. And her short hair still looks like a women's haircut. Good job Anka.

- But Anka, I know it won't last. This effort was decent, but he's notorious for completely dropping backgrounds after a while and tends to get rushed. I liked the coloring today.

Overall, I liked the issue. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum.
    -
    Last edited by Complexed; 01-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.

All-New Member

This part of the review gnaws at me:

"...thankfully they have more of a purpose than "let's be Canadian.""

Speaking as a Canadian and a comics reader, representation on the global stage matters. I don't mind the idea of Ottawa offering up the team name as part of what looks like a reworking of SWORD, and seeing three of the old guard Alphans as core staff of this organization pleases me to no end...but seeing an entire super-team representing my nation in the Marvel Universe, in all that nation's expanding diversity (and they showed a lot of that in the original series' ten year run) mattered to me as a reader growing up.

And it still does.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I was more referring to the scene where she was in just a sports bra and had a 12 pack and jacked arms. Even male heroes don't look so toned.
    Also, the art wasn't what made me really dislike the book, I read plenty of books with terrible art. Like, stuff my daughter could draw better than. The writing turned me off, Carol's appearance was more an observation.

lol, to be fair though, she has always had boobs before. Other people get mad when they make white characters black or replace male heroes with females, I guess I'm the one who gets mad when boobs get retconned. They just retconned 3 cup sizes.

To be hair, has there EVER been a female character in comics without huge boobs? It's a nice change of pace.

All-New Member

Carol used to be career USAF Intelligence before joining NASA Security and meeting Mar-Vell. Despite her repeated bouts of coerced amnesia, I expect her to maintain a certain physio self-discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    To be hair, has there EVER been a female character in comics without huge boobs?
    Kittie Pride, my (and Bendis's) androgynous waifu.

Also, I want to add that I've enjoyed the last couple Carol runs. Deconnick was great, and the short Warren Ellis stint was a real treat. I'm not trying to be the one hater ITT, I wanted to like it more than I did.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 01-20-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Mighty Member

ive always liked the idea of captain marvel, but ive never really been on board with her books until now. this book blew me away in the best way.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Awesome in every way. gorgeous, sexy and super powerful. Never seen her so sexy without showing skin. Im an old fan and im proud of her and the team. WELL DONE Marvel.
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

Very good debut. Anka's art is great, and it's very impressive how well Fazekas and Butters are taking to the medium of comics after having only written for the screen.

Ultimate Member

This was really good.

Enjoyed more than any issue of KSD's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Enjoyed more than any issue of KSD's run.
    completely agree. i tried several times to get into her run and i just couldn't.