Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, don't mind Harley in this guys, its pretty clear that writer just wanted to use her quickly and set up a scenario where Harley wouldn't bother Ivy for a while and avoid "hey, where is Harley in this story?" questions from readers/Harley fans.
    Good point!

Overall, I really like the issue. The mystery part is the most intriguing and I can't wait to see the results of Ivy's experiments. Mann's art is just gorgeous, so beautiful. One part I didn't like was the "Nobody interrupts Poison Ivy", taking in third person is a little cheesy. But otherwise I like the personality and voice Amy Chu gave Ivy.

All in all, it was a very good start and I can't wait to see how the series unfolds:

4/5

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Harley is Ivy's best friend
    I mean this isn't exactly a book about Harley and Ivy but Ivy does have friends like Harley and Selina so I'd expect them to show up
    I'd rather see Selina show up, since she's a well rounded character. Harley is just a psychotic airhead with no depth. No layers. Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I'd rather see Selina show up, since she's a well rounded character. Harley is just a psychotic airhead with no depth. No layers. Nothing.
    Selina shows up in issue #3 I believe according to solicits.

Anyway really enjoyed this, and I'm not usually a fan of Ivy. One thing I wasn't clear on though was whether Ivy's work colleagues knew who she was or not. The line about "Luisa giving her a second chance" at least seemed to indicate Luisa did.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Selina shows up in issue #3 I believe according to solicits.

Anyway really enjoyed this, and I'm not usually a fan of Ivy. One thing I wasn't clear on though was whether Ivy's work colleagues knew who she was or not. The line about "Luisa giving her a second chance" at least seemed to indicate Luisa did.
    I figured it was just Luisa.

Why wouldn't they know who she was?
    Its not like Poison Ivy isn't publicly known to be Pamela Isley
    redemption really is easy for Gotham Rogues though all you have to do is get a job and boom

redemption really is easy for Gotham Rogues though all you have to do is get a job and boom
    Well, the grumpy old senior definitely did not know who she was, considering he initially thought P. Isley was a man. You'd think he would not make that mistake if he had known who Pamela Isley was. Well, actually it is weird that someone working at the Gotham Botanical Gardens would not know the real name of the city's, and possibly the world's, biggest eco-terrorist, but I guess it could be explained away that since he was a cantankerous misogynist he never took Poison Ivy seriously to notice.

I was more distracted by the fact that Harley and Ivy were largely not recognized at the bar, or no one seemed to mind that a couple of the patrons were dangerous supervillains. Unless this was a bar that allowed supervillains? I hope writers specify stuff like that in situations like this when these Rogues walk amongst the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I was enjoying this until Harley Quinn popped. If she becomes a major player in this series, then I'll be dropping the title.
    Like many have said - (I think) this initial Harley Quinn appearance was a nod to their history as friends and cohorts. Personally, I cannot stand the character (Harley) and my loathing for her dates back to...hell...the mid to late 90s. Mostly because of how Poison Ivy was all but tethered to this clown-woman until more recent times. Also, I've always found the "are they or aren't they" sexual ambiguity angle so pointless and immature. While Poison Ivy fans are legion - Harley Quinn fans are rabid and seem to throw their money and efforts at anything involving their BOINGA BOINGA queen. Her appearances in DC comic books has hit a maximum density. From her solo title(s) to guest appearances I'm always left scratching my head and wondering "why is she here TOO!" - ugh. The other day I was at Toys R' Us and while their Marvel/Star Wars sections dwarf the DC selections - they at least had the old standby characters like Superman, Batman, maybe Wonder Woman - but I noticed an obnoxious pattern. Whether it was a group action figure pack, figurines, vinyl banks an so on - HARLEY was always part of the selection. At this point I wonder if she's popular because she's "likable" or because they won't give us a break from her ever looming presence. Okay...I get it - the Suicide Squad film is coming out soon(ish) and Harley is a main player AND so much of that films "success" seems to hinge on her character filling theater seats. But it's time to give Poison Ivy her chance to shine as a solo character without this twit lurking in the shadows. If anything, I'd say there are more Ivy fans like me who find Harley's so-called "friendship" a hindrance to Isley's development and promotion.

Anyway. I liked the issue well enough - story wise there was nothing too out of the ordinary for Ivy and the art was gorgeous. Though I did get flourishes of the whole "Ivy goes back to work" thing that appeared in Gotham City Sirens.

Does Ivy still have connection to the Green in this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does Ivy still have connection to the Green in this?
    She outright says it.

Spectacular Member

I really liked the issue even though it was predictable mostly buildup. As much as I like Harley and Ivy together I was pretty happy that Harley was seemingly written out of the story for the time being as it will give Ivy a chance to really be the star of the the show as she should be in this mini. I really feel this mini is long overdue and fingers crossed it will lead to more Ivy in the future.

Well I'm not sure how many of her colleagues would readily accept working with a cold blooded killer, eco-terrorist and meta powered super villain? Let alone leave her around a class of kids!

Some stuff just seemed odd if they know who she is, like the random sleazy jerk co-worker trying to hit on her and Harley, any man who knows Ivy should know that is going to end badly.
    Last edited by Black_Adam; 01-24-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

I didn't love bu I really liked it….the art is gorgeous, i'm just happy to see Ivy as the main character and also the story seems interesting so I imagine, as it unfolds it will get even better. Hope his leads to her getting more attention too….my hope are up for the Suicide Squad movie and would love to see Pam show up there eventually.

Harley really ruined the flow of this comic, by her very presence forcing the writer to double down on stupid and the artist to double down on cheesecake. Bur whatever, if a Harley appearance means this retains readers and gets a decent run I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    However, I think that Harley received a bit of a dated portrayal since the author seems to believe that she's still obsessing over the Joker when that's not the case at all.
    Haven't you heard? "Story Over Continuity." It's your comment that's dated.

(That was sarcastic agreement, just to be clear. "On The Internet Nobody Can Hear Your Tone Of Voice.")
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Well I'm not sure how many of her colleagues would readily accept working with a cold blooded killer, eco-terrorist and meta powered super villain? Let alone leave her around a class of kids!
    Yeah, I have to wonder about this name. How does she go by her real name (in a profession she has had a long association with) and not get, y'know, arrested?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/