View Poll Results: Which is the better prequel?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rogue One

25 54.35%
  • Revenge Of The Sith

21 45.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Revenge of the Sith vs Rogue One

Technically speaking, both of these films are prequels taut leas directly into the original trilogy. ROTS is generally seen as the best of the Lucas Prequels, while RO is generally preferred as a strong launch point of the stand-alone stories.

Which do you think is better?

My buddy and I covered the idea in a podcast; I came down on the side of ROTS, he came down on RO's side. To me, the advantage of ROTS was more consistent escalation of the conflict, to my buddy, overall quality of RO was the deal maker.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/58...evenge-v-rogue
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Empty is thy hand!

Revenge of the Sith is the superior film.

BANNED

"Best of the prequels" still isn't on the same planet as "good".

iMan 42s

The thing about Revenge of the Sith is that I still watch it from time to time. It's also objectively the only prequel anyone needs to see for context regarding Anakin prior to the Empire.
    I really like ROTS and its escalation of conflict. One of the things I especially like about ROTS is Anakin himself, who is kind of awkward and as he falls to the darkside he gains confidence in himself. He's still Anakin, he can't shake that. But the longer he goes dabbling in the darkside, the more he begins to show what becomes the cool and collected later Darth Vader. Hayden when he could be Darth Vader did (at least to me) a good job at portraying a man out of his depth becoming a monster, and that really has really stuck with the character. Hard to believe it's still a thing used to build off of with stories 12 years later.

I like Rogue one, don't get me wrong. It's better made but that's also what happens when you have a decade worth of cinematic improvements to utilize and a longer time to write the script (a thing Lucas did not have). Rogue One for me falls a little short but not by much. Both are really good movies and I'm happy to have seen both.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The thing about Revenge of the Sith is that I still watch it from time to time. It's also objectively the only prequel anyone needs to see for context regarding Anakin prior to the Empire.
    I really like ROTS and its escalation of conflict. One of the things I especially like about ROTS is Anakin himself, who is kind of awkward and as he falls to the darkside he gains confidence in himself. He's still Anakin, he can't shake that. But the longer he goes dabbling in the darkside, the more he begins to show what becomes the cool and collected later Darth Vader. Hayden when he could be Darth Vader did (at least to me) a good job at portraying a man out of his depth becoming a monster, and that really has really stuck with the character. Hard to believe it's still a thing used to build off of with stories 12 years later.

I like Rogue one, don't get me wrong. It's better made but that's also what happens when you have a decade worth of cinematic improvements to utilize and a longer time to write the script (a thing Lucas did not have). Rogue One for me falls a little short but not by much. Both are really good movies and I'm happy to have seen both.
    Great post

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I've always thought it would have been great if ROTS had essentially been the first prequel, but instead of "Order 66" we had gotten two films with Vader being an all-around badass and tracking down each and every Jedi while Obi-Wan and Yoda scrambled to make plans for the future Rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I've always thought it would have been great if ROTS had essentially been the first prequel, but instead of "Order 66" we had gotten two films with Vader being an all-around badass and tracking down each and every Jedi while Obi-Wan and Yoda scrambled to make plans for the future Rebellion.
    I really enjoy the trilogy of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord. That's more of what I was expecting out of the prequels. End of the Clone Wars, fall of the Republic, Anakin turning, birth of the Empire, and the rise of Darth Vader.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I really enjoy the trilogy of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord. That's more of what I was expecting out of the prequels. End of the Clone Wars, fall of the Republic, Anakin turning, birth of the Empire, and the rise of Darth Vader.
    Yep. Instead, it feels like we missed out on the most compelling part, a relentless Vader.

We do get a glimpse of that at the end of Rogue One!

Astonishing Member

The biggest thing that always bugged me about revenge of the Sith is so many things had to happen just right for the emperors plan to work. The insanity of the opening scene where he gets kidnapped on purpose and could have died like 20 times crash landing a star shop on the planet is the perfect example.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    The biggest thing that always bugged me about revenge of the Sith is so many things had to happen just right for the emperors plan to work. The insanity of the opening scene where he gets kidnapped on purpose and could have died like 20 times crash landing a star shop on the planet is the perfect example.
    Palpatine was controlling the whole thing so the clones know not to blow up the ship he's on and the droids could be set to offer minimal resistance and in the heat of battle the Jedi wouldn't notice. That being said he probably didn't expect to crash onto Coruscant but things worked out, with half a ship, but it did work.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Palpatine was controlling the whole thing so the clones know not to blow up the ship he's on and the droids could be set to offer minimal resistance and in the heat of battle the Jedi wouldn't notice. That being said he probably didn't expect to crash onto Coruscant but things worked out, with half a ship, but it did work.
    Sure. But to put himself in that position was just silly. Also I was never clear if Anakin doesn't kill Windu is that it for palatine? That is a weird scene.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Sure. But to put himself in that position was just silly. Also I was never clear if Anakin doesn't kill Windu is that it for palatine? That is a weird scene.
    Yeah I'm not sure what led up to that in this continuity but as its framed it's just so he is in a position to goad Anakin into killing Dooku.

The scene in Palpatine's office I was under the impression that Palpatine wasn't really expecting the Jedi to show up. He was prepared if they did and could enact Order 66 when the time was right so when Mace came in its only a matter of dealing with the arrest. Palpatine was a good enough duelist he could take the Jedi, though he was almost overpowered by Mace and it isn't until he gets his second wind that he deals with him. Anakin walking in is probably by-product of the conversation they had earlier in the film about him possibly saving Padme which Anakin is desperate to do. So if Anakin shows up he could intervene (and he does) or if he doesn't it's a matter of killing Mace and branding the Jedi traitors and prolonging Anakin's fall a bit longer. Anakin didn't need to literally disarm Mace, he just had to be on the Chancellors side once Order 66 was issued.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I'm not sure what led up to that in this continuity but as its framed it's just so he is in a position to goad Anakin into killing Dooku.

The scene in Palpatine's office I was under the impression that Palpatine wasn't really expecting the Jedi to show up. He was prepared if they did and could enact Order 66 when the time was right so when Mace came in its only a matter of dealing with the arrest. Palpatine was a good enough duelist he could take the Jedi, though he was almost overpowered by Mace and it isn't until he gets his second wind that he deals with him. Anakin walking in is probably by-product of the conversation they had earlier in the film about him possibly saving Padme which Anakin is desperate to do. So if Anakin shows up he could intervene (and he does) or if he doesn't it's a matter of killing Mace and branding the Jedi traitors and prolonging Anakin's fall a bit longer. Anakin didn't need to literally disarm Mace, he just had to be on the Chancellors side once Order 66 was issued.
    Its just a position he puts himself in literally getting fried into a prune, with the hopes that Anakin is gonna turn right there. If it doesn't happen its all over.

I like RoTS but Rogue One beats it easily. I thought the Clone Wars era had a lot of cool ideas but the movies never really lived up to them like the series and some of the EU/Legends material did.

I think the only truly horrible prequel is Attack of the Clones.
    I actually really light RotS.

As for Rogue One, I love that one too, but prefer Episode 3.