Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I have a very reliable friend who by some miracle or mysterious means has seen the Last Jedi and from what he has told me........my only response is that I have a very bad feeling about this. I'll see it to judge it for myself but something tells me, that for me this movie will be the straw that breaks the Star Wars Camel's back, even in spite of the Hope Rogue One re-established with me and the Disneyfied Star Wars Saga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I’ve read all the spoilers.

People are going to be VERY divided on this movie,

Personally, I’ve dropped my expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I wasn't initially thrilled about certain points. The more I thought on it, the more I came around to what they were trying to do. But yes, I've spoken with a few people today and it is very divided. Although, they only disliked it because of one reason. Which you can probably guess what it was.
    I truly, genuinely don't know what any of you could be talking about. This is a Star Wars movie that takes risks, yes, but I can't see any single thing that would cause such a divide.

Though, at this point, I do wonder if any new Star Wars movie by anyone would ever come even remotely close to pleasing some fans.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

"divide" as in entitled fans who think they know better

I saw this on a webcomic last year

"Some Star Wars fans are just mad they've been making payments on it for 30 years and they still don't own it"

its a very accurate statement IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    "divide" as in entitled fans who think they know better

I saw this on a webcomic last year

"Some Star Wars fans are just mad they've been making payments on it for 30 years and they still don't own it"

its a very accurate statement IMO
    Haha, yes it is!
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

And here it is. My utterly spoiler-free review of the film.

Check it out here if you're so inclined.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post

Though, at this point, I do wonder if any new Star Wars movie by anyone would ever come even remotely close to pleasing some fans.
    Same with DCEU.

If you're a STAR WARS or DCEU fan, you basically live an online life fighting with other fans.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

From what I can tell, EU purists will only grow increasingly pissed. But, there's nothing anyone could ever do that would make them not pissed outside of movies that were direct adaptations of all those novels.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-14-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    From what I can tell, EU purists will only grow increasingly pissed. But, there's nothing anyone could ever do that would make them not pissed outside of movies that were direct adaptations of all those novels.
    good

I love it when they are mad

This movie is better than anything the EU could have come up with.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Same with DCEU.

If you're a STAR WARS or DCEU fan, you basically live an online life fighting with other fans.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Except I despise the DCEU outside of Wonder Woman and, to a much much lesser extent, Jutsuce League. Yes, I don't like the way they have handled the characters (specifically Superman) but, fundamentally, my main issue with them isn't a sense of proprietry so much as that they are simply terribly made films. Yes, they're terrible DC movies, from where I'm sitting at least, but I genuinely have no idea how anyone could think jumbled messes like BvS or Suicide Squad are remotely good just as films.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Ah well, i'm probably going to watch it next week or something.
    I'm pretty close to just deciding to wait for the DVD.

AFW didn't do it for me (story and villains were weak). Rogue One didn't. Prequels didn't (except for Ian McDiarmid and his Palpatine arc). I get neither a special "want to see this more than once" movie apart from accuracy considerations, and then I get things about the universe and its history that don't comport or just suck or underwhelm.

But the problems with SW movies aren't just limited to them, but major blockbusters (especially franchises) altogether nowadays. Bloated, padded safe sterile affairs that just don't compel enough like some of the better blockbusters of the 90s and before. We've shifted so much to longer movies and it really hurts quality IMHO. And there's often not enough focus on doing a great discrete film in a franchise (you see too much looking at a film as a part and less something that needs to stand on its own to more degree).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-14-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    And here it is. My utterly spoiler-free review of the film.

Check it out here if you're so inclined.
    Having just seen it.....100% agree with everything you said.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It's great. I will need to see it again to really take everything in and mull it over a bit more, but, right now, I feel like this is the best Star Wars movie, hands down. Yes, better than Empire Strikes Back.
    Ditto. None of the films have had such complex characters or such an emotional punch.

sooooon

4 more hours
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Avoid spoilers. You'll be happier.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Just got back from it, and...I'm mixed. On the one hand I can see why Mark wasn't to thrilled with what happens in regard to Luke and various things. Sadly, because I've seen most of the films that Rian was pulling from I kind of knew beat by beat certain points of the movie (Poe's story with Holdo was telegraphed if you've seen Twelve o'clock high with Gregory peck) and some of the moments didn't feel as fleshed out as they could have been. Like certain characters that show up in the end and really only play a small role. Also I'm kind of getting tired of the shipping wars but that's part and parcial of this fandom all the way back to the first one.

On the other hand I really liked Billie Lords role in this, Carrie was amazing and I'm so sad to see her not get to reprise this role. Mark, even though he disagreed with things turns in a great performance, and for all the talk of Reylo I didn't quiet see that existing. I did however see a very interesting thing in regard to the use of Poe and maybe where the series is headed in the end. After all they chose to build him up in this one and the comics for a reason.