Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

We love Gambit and Deadpool. We don`t need this rip off.

Ultimate Member

Because he's a horrible excuse for a character that Marvel is still trying to force down our throats time and again despite how many times that they fail miserably at it...

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    We have Gambit. We have Deadpool.
    This right here.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    A cheap cliched self insertion character he's a rip off of an existing character called Fantomas. So it's a stereotype, unoriginal and off x-theme.
    LOL so was the Hellfire Club.

Is Fantomex really all that much like Gambit and Deadpool? I don't see why those characters can't co-exist. In fact, I think they'd all benefit from a team-up.

Fanbases really shouldn't feel threatened by another character being close to their lane. # MFan #stillloveFrenzy

It is this generation's Boom Boom vs. Jubilee vs. Dazzler.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 01-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    We love Gambit and Deadpool. We don`t need this rip off.
    The Gambit elements are pretty obvious but what are the Deadpool ones besides wearing a mask 24/7 for some reason?
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    don't see why those characters can't co-exist.
    I think that's the problem here. Fantomex gets put into book after book while Gambit is basically spending his time in Limbo. Besides that one issue of Uncanny Avengers there is nothing in-continuity with Gambit in sight and there is no good reason or explanation for it.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    The Gambit elements are pretty obvious but what are the Deadpool ones besides wearing a mask 24/7 for some reason?
    Gun totting wise cracking assassin and yes, wearing a mask.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Please, Dame Emma would not want to be associated with the filth in any way possible.

I'm sorry I had to

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post

I'm sorry I had to
    that was probably one of the only times I found Fantomex kinda okay to use. But it was meant to be kinda WTF.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    The problem is that he was meant to be a joke / parody character.

Morrison wrote him as such but everyone else either didn't get the joke or seems to have missed the memo.
    Except Morisson didn't. People keep saying that but they really need to go back and actually read Morisson's run. Even if Morrison stated in interviews that he was a parody, he just wasn't written that way. Do not mistake his humour and some kinda meta reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    His central nervous system is his only redeeming quality. EVA is awesome.
    Seconded. EVA's cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Don't hate him. Remender's Uncanny X-Force made him a great character in my mind. Before that, I really didn't have much use for him. Haven't followed much after UXF.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    LOL so was the Hellfire Club.

Is Fantomex really all that much like Gambit and Deadpool? I don't see why those characters can't co-exist. In fact, I think they'd all benefit from a team-up.

Fanbases really shouldn't feel threatened by another character being close to their lane. # MFan #stillloveFrenzy

It is this generation's Boom Boom vs. Jubilee vs. Dazzler.
    Except only Tabitha and Jubilee are similar with them just changing a few things from Tabitha to get Jubilee since Tabitha showed up first of the two by a few years and then Dazzler really doesn't fit with those two, a very different character.

As for the Deadpool thing, I think that it's partially his powers where he seems to be able to heal from anything and his basic attitude of not caring what anyone thinks about anything and doing whatever he feels like doing at the time. He's a character that writers can and have done pretty much whatever they wanted with him.

Remender made him his golden boy and threw Warren under the bus, a storyline to which Warren still hasn't come back from now what...ten years later...all so that Remender could pair Fantomex up with Psylocke...before he moved on to anyone that he met....including his female self...
    Last edited by LoganAlpha30X33; 01-21-2016 at 01:56 PM.

To be completely forthcoming, all jokes aside, I never cared for Fantomex one or another. I saw the similarities (to Gambit) in the styling and to be honest I kind of liked the character design. My first impression was that Marvel was going for a "GI Joe" type character... Then I got to know him. I learned he was French (or just French speaking), then I found out he was a professional thief. Little later I read Remender's comment after a fan asked him about using Gambit. His reply was something along the lines of:

"I just dont see the value in a character like Gambit..." but you heavily use Fantomex? The French speaking, trenchcoat wearing, womanizing, super agile, thief?

That is what had me like "WTH?" To top it off Marvel gives him (Fantomex) a Max series and dubs him "The X-Men's premier super thief". That was really the last straw for me. To make matters worse, this guy is part of the X-Men universe? With how Gambit has been basically buried in terms of use in the past 15 years, Fantomex' use is just insulting and begs to be criticized. I truly see him as Deadpool/Gambit parody, as if someone said, lets put these guys into a blender and see whats come out. The fact that Remender had Fantomex and Deadpool in the same book was just strange to me. It'd be like having classic Rogue and M on the same roster. What annoys me lately is the fact that Bunn was on the fence of between using Gambit and Fantomex but ultimately went with Fantomex because of some outside stuff (I assume editorial). My disdain for him is obviously rooted in my preference of Gambit but its hard not to feel slighted as a fan.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 01-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    Guild Member

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I agree with some others. EVA is the only interesting part of Fantomex.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================