Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    That's an unequal comparison. N52 Donna Troy is a tragic hot mess (IMO) within the mainstream universe where no one else was changed as dramatically. In the "Millerverse" all of the characters are dramatically different and, thematically at least, in the same ways. Donna stands out in the main universe for how much more she changed than nearly every other character.

I don't think Donna has been changed all that dramatically in comparison to the whole of the New 52 when you consider:

- Lady Hawk(Shayera Hol formerly Hawkwoman pre-New 52) was a Thanagarian militant extremist who tried to kill her former love Hawkman.

- Green Lantern(Alan Scott) is now a homosexual and gets his powers from the Green instead of a lantern fueled by a science/magic combo made by the Guardians of the Universe.

- Flash(Jay Garrick) received his powers from the Roman god Mercury instead of a hard water accident.

- Lobo, while still a bounty hunter, has a very GQ look.

- Sargon the Sorcerer is now a woman and a complete villain.

- The android Red Tornado now has a female body and houses the mind of the Earth 2 Lois Lane.

- Lex Luthor and Captain Cold are full-fledged members of the Justice League.

Need I go on?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    So you're fine with how the New 52 version of Donna Troy has been written?
    Wait, what does this have to do with the All Star Batman And Robin characters?

I don't think Donna has been changed all that dramatically in comparison to the whole of the New 52 when you consider:

- Lady Hawk(Shayera Hol formerly Hawkwoman pre-New 52) was a Thanagarian militant extremist who tried to kill her former love Hawkman.

- Green Lantern(Alan Scott) is now a homosexual and gets his powers from the Green instead of a lantern fueled by a science/magic combo made by the Guardians of the Universe.

- Flash(Jay Garrick) received his powers from the Roman god Mercury instead of a hard water accident.

- The android Red Tornado now has a female body and houses the mind of the Earth 2 Lois Lane.

Need I go on?
    Since almost all of this takes place on Earth 2 in an alternate reality to a new universe is say yes, please try again

Since almost all of this takes place on Earth 2 in an alternate reality to a new universe is say yes, please try again

Only 3 of my 7 examples are from Earth 2.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I still don't see what any of that has to do with Donna and the All Star Batman And Robin characters...

BANNED

I could point out that Sargon the Sorcerer did exists in the New 52... but according to Constantine, his daughter killed him some time ago and took his name and powers for her own.

Need I go on?
    If we are actually going to go into the details...

- Lady Hawk: Still a Thangarian.
    - Green Lantern Alan Scott: Still actually human.
    - Flash Jay Garrick: Still human, as far as I know.
    - Lobo: Still Czarian, as far as I know.
    - Sargon The Sorcerer: Still human, as far as I know.
    - Android Red Tornado: Yep. Actually different.
    - Lex Luthor/Captain Cold: Still human, as far as I know.

On the other hand...

Donna was created during a spell where parts of Hippolyta's stone body were used. As far as I know, Donna is no longer completely human.

So yeah, Donna isn't really like any of those things, except maybe, Red Tornado.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

On the other hand...

Donna was created during a spell where parts of Hippolyta's stone body were used. As far as I know, Donna is no longer completely human.

So yeah, Donna isn't really like any of those things, except maybe, Red Tornado.
    Wow you really know your stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzMah View Post
    Wow you really know your stuff...
    I try to stay up on things.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

On the other hand...

So are you saying that Donna's biggest flaw in the New 52 is that she isn't a mystically made twin of Diana?

While it doesn't have much to do with the subject of the thread, I'd say that Donna's biggest flaw is a pretty tough call. Everything so far has been pretty goofy, to me.

Only 3 of my 7 examples are from Earth 2.
    And the other 4 are relatively obscure characters with practically 1-off names. Point is Donna Troy in N52 is a big player in a main title and has been dramatically changed in the main Earth universe. No I don't like what they did with her, I think it's a travesty. But Miller's work (or the examples you site above) don't have the same impact on the characters because people KNOW these are "elseworld" versions, no one picks up this version of WW and inserts her into the main universe. Miller's fan base opens these books up with the understanding that the characters are going to be shown from a vastly darker point of view and that they don't have any meaning to the main universe of DC. It's no different than Teen Titans Go! being super silly, no one expects those characterizations to roll on over into the main universe.

But even if these examples do run over into the main universe is that inherently bad? Shouldn't a good fictional character be adaptable for many writers? Look at Sherlock Holmes, he's currently on two vastly different TV shows with dramatically different takes on his personality with both being dramatically different than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original creation. I see no reason to think alternative interpretation is a bad thing. I may not love every version, but I love that it's possible to create them.

I certainly have my favorite versions of Diana, but I also appreciate the journey the character has gone through to arrive at where she is today.

And the other 4 are relatively obscure characters with practically 1-off names. Point is Donna Troy in N52 is a big player in a main title and has been dramatically changed in the main Earth universe. No I don't like what they did with her, I think it's a travesty. But Miller's work (or the examples you site above) don't have the same impact on the characters because people KNOW these are "elseworld" versions, no one picks up this version of WW and inserts her into the main universe. Miller's fan base opens these books up with the understanding that the characters are going to be shown from a vastly darker point of view and that they don't have any meaning to the main universe of DC. It's no different than Teen Titans Go! being super silly, no one expects those characterizations to roll on over into the main universe.

But even if these examples do run over into the main universe is that inherently bad? Shouldn't a good fictional character be adaptable for many writers? Look at Sherlock Holmes, he's currently on two vastly different TV shows with dramatically different takes on his personality with both being dramatically different than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original creation. I see no reason to think alternative interpretation is a bad thing. I may not love every version, but I love that it's possible to create them.

I certainly have my favorite versions of Diana, but I also appreciate the journey the character has gone through to arrive at where she is today.

Not counting the Earth 2 characters for argument's sake, I think that Hawkwoman and Red Tornado are as relevant as Donna Troy(Hawkwoman even more so thanks to the many TV shows & cartoons she's appeared on). I'll give you Lobo and Sargon as being more obscure than Donna though.

Incredible Member

I'm reading Geoff Johns's New 52 Justice League run right now and wow, I think the way he depicts Diana is even worse than what Meredith Finch has been doing to her. Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I'm reading Geoff Johns's New 52 Justice League run right now and wow, I think the way he depicts Diana is even worse than what Meredith Finch has been doing to her. Just awful.

Johns portrayal of Diana gets much, much better after the Trinity War issues.