Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    More about the written portrayal than the visual.
    Frank Miller for the ....WIN....?

That's the Frank Miller portrayal of Wonder Woman that I think is the best portrayal of Wonder Woman, given that she's an Amazon; Azzarello should have consulted this, when he created Wonder Woman, to match the Amazons; with this portrayal of Wonder Woman, she would not be lecturing the Amazons on good morals for interacting with Man's World. DC has not sufficiently addressed this area of the main Wonder Woman character yet, in her entire history.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 01-29-2016 at 08:45 AM. Reason: off topic Dr. Psycho reference removed

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    That's the Frank Miller portrayal of Wonder Woman that I think is the best portrayal of Wonder Woman, given that she's an Amazon; Azzarello should have consulted this, when he created Wonder Woman, to match the Amazons; with this portrayal of Wonder Woman, she would not be lecturing the Amazons on good morals for interacting with Man's World. DC has not sufficiently addressed this area of the main Wonder Woman character yet, in her entire history.
    Well...Frank was pretty much spoofing these characters. Superman is kind of a simp, GL is incredibly dumb, Diana a man hating ballbuster...I don't think most fans want to see these hero behaving like this in the main universe

Huh.

Are there folks who actually feel like the "Miller-Verse" versions of the League are anything except a set of characters existing in a different universe?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Huh.

Are there folks who actually feel like the "Miller-Verse" versions of the League are anything except a set of characters existing in a different universe?
    Doesn't mean it's not poorly written.

To me, that's kind of a toss up.

I accepted pretty quickly that he wasn't trying to write anything like the "Classic" characters.

Once I did that, I don't know that I really agree that it's poorly written. It's just a well written version of very weird characters.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

To me, that's kind of a toss up.

I accepted pretty quickly that he wasn't trying to write anything like the "Classic" characters.

Once I did that, I don't know that I really agree that it's poorly written. It's just a well written version of very weird characters.

So then if Miller didn't want to write the classic characters, why bother using them instead of creating new characters? Different for the sake of being different isn't always a good thing.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    So then if Miller didn't want to write the classic characters, why bother using them instead of creating new characters?
    Because the that's the job DC gave him? I get the feeling they couldn't put All Star Batman And Robin on an issue with The Midnighter inside.

Because the that's the job DC gave him? I get the feeling they couldn't put All Star Batman And Robin on an issue with The Midnighter inside.

It just seems pointless to me when a writer does it as it comes across as them being the characters in name only.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

So then if Miller didn't want to write the classic characters, why bother using them instead of creating new characters? Different for the sake of being different isn't always a good thing.
    They're no longer just characters. They're icons, close to myths.
    And creating diverging, even parody versions of them, well, most people think that's fun.

I thik it's like how most people think "Monty Python's Life Of Brian" is a really great film, while a minority who takes everything way too seriously aranged protests or had it banned locally in some places.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-01-2016 at 08:57 AM.

BANNED

It just seems pointless to me when a writer does it as it comes across as them being the characters in name only.
    for me too. At least on watchmen DC made Alan Moore create doppelgangers from the quitely characters. But for some reason they let Miller crap on their characters, no wonder DC has been better deconstructing the heroes than building them up.
    it's lie miller has the license to kill superheroes, he is the 007 of comics

I see it as exploration of the character. Rather than take a fixed in time character and making them always the same in every circumstance he's taken the idea of the character and said "what if". I don't always like the end result, but I do like that there are people out there interested enough in these characters to write them with a different lens. Would any of these stories be as thought provoking if they starred Capybara-man, Awesome-man and Supreme-lady? Who's going to read that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    I see it as exploration of the character. Rather than take a fixed in time character and making them always the same in every circumstance he's taken the idea of the character and said "what if". I don't always like the end result, but I do like that there are people out there interested enough in these characters to write them with a different lens. Would any of these stories be as thought provoking if they starred Capybara-man, Awesome-man and Supreme-lady? Who's going to read that?
    well watchmen worked. i see this as a lazy writier doing his own fanfic

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    well watchmen worked. i see this as a lazy writier doing his own fanfic
    Squadron Supreme worked too, but neither were as compelling as the original characters. In fact Watchmen was changed to original characters based on concerns of what the story would do to the Charlton characters DC had just purchased. I can't say that calling Miller "fanfic" is even remotely accurate. I don't particularly care for his work, but clearly he's got a fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They're no longer just characters. They're icons, close to myths.
    And creating diverging, even parody versions of them, well, most people think that's fun.

I thik it's like how most people think "Monty Python's Life Of Brian" is a really great film, while a minority who takes everything way too seriously aranged protests or had it banned locally in some places.

So you're fine with how the New 52 version of Donna Troy has been written?

So you're fine with how the New 52 version of Donna Troy has been written?
    That's an unequal comparison. N52 Donna Troy is a tragic hot mess (IMO) within the mainstream universe where no one else was changed as dramatically. In the "Millerverse" all of the characters are dramatically different and, thematically at least, in the same ways. Donna stands out in the main universe for how much more she changed than nearly every other character.