Default Martian Manhunter #8

Some obvious spoilers incoming.

So, apparently "Giant Martian Mech Warrior Battle" is/was a thing in Mars. Top reason to save Earth? Biscuits and raisins.

Couple of theories:

a) Anyone else thinks that this series is going for some sorta paradox where ritual that was supposed to save Mars is actually responsible for its destruction in the past?
    b) Mars child, can he be young J'onn?

All in all it continues to be an entertaining read.

Always Rakzo

Uggghhhh, I keep trying to get invested in this but there's something about Williams' style that is so forced that seems unreal even if we're talking of a story about aliens.

Maybe is the dialogue, maybe is how the story is being told, maybe is the desperate desire to try to be different but everything is just unnecessarily pretentious.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I dropped this title at #6.
    I wanted to like it. It's not likable. I miss the Ostrander run even more now.
    DC, please make that run from the 90's an Omnibus soon.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

I know i might be in the minority here,but I don't like that jonn can split himself up in to different ppl like he has in this book,I would rather he have 1 form,that he controls down to the smallest atom,with telepathy.is that to hard to ask for?

Oh and quick question to MM fans,what would you rather have him have the Superman powers (strength,speed,durability,flight,martian vision,supersenses),or giving him telekinesis,to do most of that and look different (like YJ show martians)?

DanniloSan

What I do like in the Martian Manhunter is how versitile his powers can be,he has a superior intellect,he can use his pisquic abilities,he has shapechanger capalities wich make him an excellent infiltrator,he can be a bruiser and smash his way through,various possibilities...
    I prefer that J'onn use all his powers haha,not be a green superman (In powers),and not only be a psiquic shapeshifter as in injustice...J'onn J'onzz is all powerful,but he never show that,because he belive that is not necessary!Wise man...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I know i might be in the minority here,but I don't like that jonn can split himself up in to different ppl like he has in this book,I would rather he have 1 form,that he controls down to the smallest atom,with telepathy.is that to hard to ask for?
    You are not alone. I'll be surprised if this title makes it past #12.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

a) Anyone else thinks that this series is going for some sorta paradox where ritual that was supposed to save Mars is actually responsible for its destruction in the past?
    Hadn't thought of that -- that's a really interesting suggestion.

Couple of things that did occur to me after I read it:

1) that last page looked/sounded like something Morrison would write -- just a complete embracing of the genre. It made me chuckle and think "cool" simultaneously. Well done.

2) DC really needs to explore their cosmic side much more fully than they have (and I know they've tried, but it just doesn't seem to get off the ground). You've got Mars, Krypton, Thanagar, Rann, Oa, Qward, Czarnia (or the remnants of it), Tamaran, Daxam, Colu, and the Citadel, just to name the major planets or races off the top of my head. There's so much there to explore -- they really need someone to come along and just tell a universe spanning tale that makes these places as interesting to read about as Marvel has done with their own cosmics: a sort of DC version of Annihilation that reinvigorates the whole line and doesn't simply focus on the usual suspects or revolve around Earthlings. Do something with Starro, for instance, instead of Darkseid or the Anti-monitor, and that doesn't focus on the Earth or the JLA. A "Neo-Sapians" book that plays off of what Morrison set up at the end of his Action Comics run would be a potential vehicle for this (rather than the rather flat JLU effort that they recently tried).

Anyways, enjoyable issue. Can't wait to see the mecha throwdown.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 01-22-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    But he, and every split, seam able to do that. Its just that some had trouble "awaking".

BANNED

I love this title, and have since the (relatively) recent #1. It's one of the few titles from DC and Marvel I won't miss an issue of. One of the best out there imo.

Mr Biscuits single handedly makes this book, we need a spinoff!

Another great issue, one of my favourite books DC is putting out right now.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    But he, and every split, seam able to do that. Its just that some had trouble "awaking".
    The point was that I don't like that he has "splits" in the first time.1 body,he controls,with a powerful mind,and a deep and wise soul