Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Post #43 says it all (on this site at least): http://community.comicbookresources....ight-now/page3
    Ha! 9 people think it's great! What a great counterargument...

Nevermind the fact that more people on the X-boards have expressed displeasure with the books phoned in writing and the fact that it's already the worst selling flagship we've ever had.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Ha! 9 people think it's great! What a great counterargument...

Nevermind the fact that more people on the X-boards have expressed displeasure with the books phoned in writing and the fact that it's already the worst selling flagship we've ever had.
    Still, the list showed EXM fared better than most current Marvel comics

This is just painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This is just painful.
    The comic, the debate or just life in general? ;-p

Edit: Actaully, it could be a combo of all three.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 01-22-2016 at 07:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I love genocide and ethnic cleansing. They are some of my favorite hobbies.
    I can't read enough! Also the dark forbidden hurtful science of anthropometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This is just painful.
    Muties are serious business bub.

BANNED

this looks like another disaster of an issue i had such high hopes for lemire as his hawkeye as been great and most of his other projects have been good as well. I dont blame him completley but his first 6 issues are almost chuck austen level bad. I know storm and nightcrawler are classic x-men but there just plain boring in these first few issues, i can deal with the young jean grey and i love millar old man logan and even bendis old man logan secret war issues were good but he seems just so miscast and unnecessary in this book. Also say what you want about bendis but at least he did writer a very strong magik in uncanny she just seems off. Also colussus is so poorly written after how well he was perceived in both the short lived cable and x-force series and x-inferno a as for iceman i dont really care u want to give us a gay iceman fine but having him hook up with an stupid retarded inhuman just makes me sick. I know lemire is probably taking alot of orders from ediortial but 6 issues in this series is just plain awful ...at least we have uncanny 2 issues in which is great and hopefully can become the true flagship x book again

Looks good. Loving this book, so far...

BANNED

Double post.
    Last edited by Arya; 01-22-2016 at 10:54 PM.

BANNED

I don't think it's been awful or bad but it has been boiler plate. It hasn't been amazing. It's been mediocre maybe slightly above. His Nightcrawler is the only real letdown. His Colossus has been cute and hilarious at times. His magik has been hit or miss. His storm has been passable. If anything Lemire is only continuing the tradition started by bendis in humanizing Magik.

Compared to the last writer he hasn't written himself into a hole that only time travel or depression can get them out of. All his characters don't sound the same and let's be honest this had a plot which is more than bendis managed to do in his last two arcs.

This premise is horrible. But that's not Lemire's fault. I blame Marvel for this stupid terrigen mess.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop88 View Post
    this looks like another disaster of an issue i had such high hopes for lemire as his hawkeye as been great and most of his other projects have been good as well. I dont blame him completley but his first 6 issues are almost chuck austen level bad. I know storm and nightcrawler are classic x-men but there just plain boring in these first few issues, i can deal with the young jean grey and i love millar old man logan and even bendis old man logan secret war issues were good but he seems just so miscast and unnecessary in this book. Also say what you want about bendis but at least he did writer a very strong magik in uncanny she just seems off. Also colussus is so poorly written after how well he was perceived in both the short lived cable and x-force series and x-inferno a as for iceman i dont really care u want to give us a gay iceman fine but having him hook up with an stupid retarded inhuman just makes me sick. I know lemire is probably taking alot of orders from ediortial but 6 issues in this series is just plain awful ...at least we have uncanny 2 issues in which is great and hopefully can become the true flagship x book again
    Hawkeye is a solo book though or a duo book considering there are two Hawkeyes. Lemire has admitted himself that his work on team books has been lackluster. It's pretty clear Lemire was just supposed to be the writer of Old Man Logan but after Remender left they probably put him into that place since he is already writing OML in his solo and they don't want one writer covering two of the three team books. Uncanny sounds exactly like the type of book that Bunn would like to write. Same with Hopeless and All-New.
    So it makes perfect sense that Lemire filled a vacuum if you look at it.
    Last edited by Galerion; 01-22-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Claiming that All New just doesn't appeal to some of us on the basis that it's too 'contained' as a book is ludicrous. X-Books were for decades.
    Claming that the cast is responsible for the writing style of the author or the type of stories he decides to write is a lot more ludicrous.

Really guys? At least ask for more. Don't settle. You like the cast? Fine. But then respect the characters enough to demand more be done with them. Don't half heartedly praise the book and then call 'hater' when some of us demand more.
    Call you "hater"? You are the one who is being totaly adamant about how others should feel about the book(s). You have your opinion but you are unwilling to accept that other people may not have the same tastes as yourself.

Personally, I am not very interested by any of the current X-books and find them rather average. But when I read posts like this:

For those supporting the mutant cause by buying a book they don't seem to like...you know we have other X-titles right? You don't have to buy this one. Anyway buying Ex-Men is still kinda supporting the UnMutant cause in a way.

(Just don't buy ANXM either. The Bore5 have truly outlived their welcome. Someone give Hellion, Pixie, Rockslide, Roxy and the rest of the squad their book back! And add Amiko in - she deserves a place in the bloody franchise after Logan's death.)
    Seriously? May I PM you my pull-list so that you may check it and tell me what I am allowed to buy, pretty please?

Because a lead book has to draw in NEW readers. New readers usually want more from a book than just 'OK'. They don't have character or franchise loyalty to cling on to. You know what kills a franchise? It's inability to draw in new readers. Hard cores aren't enough to keep us going.
    Imho, Bendis ANXM and UXM were more than just "ok". It's the ending that was disapointing. You dislike the O5 but ANXM was a lot easier for new readers to start with and it was the top selling X-Book. Stop discarding the opinion of all people who were reading it. It's not because you didn't liked it or, rather, because it didn't contained the characters you wanted, that nobody else like it. And stop with that absurdity about the "O5 have stolen the book of this or that characters": ANXM didn't took the "rightfull" place of any other book: It was a new book pitched by Bendis. That's what he wanted to write and Marvel went with it. If Bendis hadn't written ANXM, there still wouldn't have been a book with "Hellion, Pixie, Rockslide, Roxy" or any other such character that you are soo confident everybody want to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Claming that the cast is responsible for the writing style of the author or the type of stories he decides to write is a lot more ludicrous.

Call you "hater"? You are the one who is being totaly adamant about how others should feel about the book(s). You have your opinion but you are unwilling to accept that other people may not have the same tastes as yourself.

Personally, I am not very interested by any of the current X-books and find them rather average. But when I read posts like this:

Seriously? May I PM you my pull-list so that you may check it and tell me what I am allowed to buy, pretty please?

Imho, Bendis ANXM and UXM were more than just "ok". It's the ending that was disapointing. You dislike the O5 but ANXM was a lot easier for new readers to start with and it was the top selling X-Book. Stop discarding the opinion of all people who were reading it. It's not because you didn't liked it or, rather, because it didn't contained the characters you wanted, that nobody else like it. And stop with that absurdity about the "O5 have stolen the book of this or that characters": ANXM didn't took the "rightfull" place of any other book: It was a new book pitched by Bendis. That's what he wanted to write and Marvel went with it. If Bendis hadn't written ANXM, there still wouldn't have been a book with "Hellion, Pixie, Rockslide, Roxy" or any other such character that you are soo confident everybody want to read about.
    You'll notice I haven't really personally attacked you once, just the points made. You're starting to blur the line. Sad, I've always respected you.

This reply was way longer, but I took most of my reply about the O5 out. Really, we've trod this ground a million times. A debate about whether they belong in the present or not can go on in circles forever.

Also, you're getting to hung up on the ANXM line, I was being mostly facetious, but still, a different book with better plotting that mean somethings would be a better book (even you admitted that yourself). And yes, I do think the O5 need to go 'home'. Btw, I was totally on board with the idea when Bendis and co first decided to bring them in. I liked the idea of seeing the faults of the older cast through their younger selves. Unfortunately, that's not what we got in the end. A wasted opportunity and yeah, therefore not a good book in the end to have in the line-up.

Writer and cast go hand in hand to a certain extent. Characters aren't real, they don't have separate wills from they're creator. What the writer writes, is who they are in that point in story. That's what becomes canon. Not some idealised version. Saying the writer plays no role in who a character is...is...is...I don't know....a pretty unique way to look at things, I guess?

Yelling "hater" at every posters that makes a statement you don't agree with, is counter-productive. I might as well call you 'lovers'. Point stands that you're no more objective.

And yes, I'm freaking serious that people should stop buying mediocre books - which nearly everyone freely admits are mediocre. When people support a lead book that isn't up to snuff, that books stays in the lineup for ages and brings down the whole line. Btw this isn't a new idea - it's why the concept of "lead titles" exist. The main books sets the tone for the rest of the franchise. So a mediocre lead....

The faster Lemire's Ex-Men shuffles off, we can maybe get a new writer and lead that has better storytelling. What's the other option? We just stick with this for ages? How long? Another two years?

This defeatist attitude is insane. You guys act like you're the first generation to have problems with how Marvel handles the franchise. Trust me, Marvel never liked the X-Men or the fanbase, even when we made them money. This isn't the first time we've clashed heads badly, just before we took them on no matter what 'power' we had. GenX fans had nothing when we took on Hama or editorial (who actual admitted they hated us), but we were vocal as all hell. If you yell loudly enough, eventually someone notices. Otherwise, what's the point of the Complex thread? To just sit around and moan? I assumed we're trying to bring about change?

Also, loads of you hated Bendis with a passion and claimed you did so because of his writing. Well guess what? Lemire isn't any better. The base storytelling isn't any better yet, so why does this book and writer get treated differently for some reason? The same problems with the writing still exist, so I feel this warrants an equal level of response.

I've been gone a few months, but I'm now noticing a new disturbing trend where posters use the complex to defend why they buy a book. 'Oh this book is sub par, but I have to support the X-Men.' Oh bull, just be honest. You're buying the book because your fave character is in it and for no other reason. Which is totally fine and actual a valid defence. So just say so. Don't dress it up.

Ok, I'm done. Nothing more to really add here that can be productive. Everyone knows where I'm coming from. Bland writing and distasteful handling of some pretty serious subject matter to drum up hype, does not make a good X-book...it does however make me slightly cranky.

If nothing else a good conversation was had over the direction of this book and franchise. Goodnight everybody.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 01-23-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Stop fighting. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. You don't have to become unkind to one another.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

You'll notice I haven't really personally attacked you once, just the points made. You're starting to blur the line. Sad, I've always respected you.
    You are just totaly discarding the opinion of people who don't agree with you and who like the book. In fact, you are outright telling them that they shouldn't buy the books because they shouldn't support them. I agree that, imho, those books aren't the best but I am just saying that you should respect the opinion of the people who like them. Perhaps they are not your kind of books but others are allowed to like them without you telling them that they are fool, ignorant, misguided or whatever.

If you want to take that as a personal attack, fine. Even if I somehow agree with you on the quality of the books, I also take it personaly when you order people not to buy them and that they shouldn't like them.

Also, you're getting to hung up on the ANXM line, I was being mostly facetious,
    Your comments are far from facetious. When you keep bashing on a book and the cast, that's not facetious. When you call them the Bore5, state that they "outlived their welcome", "that they are just middle class white male and so, can't be interesting", that's not being facetious. You are entitled to your opinion but please stop claiming that everyone think the same or should agree with you.

Writer and cast go hand in hand to a certain extent. Characters aren't real, they don't have separate wills from they're creator. What the writer writes, is who they are in that point in story. That's what becomes canon. Not some idealised version. Saying the writer plays no role in who a character is...is...is...I don't know....a pretty unique way to look at things, I guess?
    Maybe you don't understand what I wrote. You are the one that claimed, or at least implied, that a book was bad because of the cast and not because you don't like the writer's style or the kind of stories the author wrote. If a writer want to write soap and you don't like that style, it won't matter what the cast is.

Yelling "hater" at every posters that makes a statement you don't agree with, is counter-productive. I might as well call you 'lovers'. Point stands that you're no more objective.
    You must be confusing me with someone else. I refrained to post in this thread until I got really sick of seeing you flaming anyone that even suggested they may like this book.

You may dislike that book, and others, all you want. That's prefectly fine. I even agree with some of the criticism about it. But how I feel about this book is not the point: What I can't stand is how you disregard people who like it. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Some will like the book and others won't. That's not a reason to be disrespectful to people that don't agree with you.

This defeatist attitude is insane. You guys act like you're the first generation to have problems with how Marvel handles the franchise.
    See, you continue to be contemptuous.

If you yell loudly enough, eventually someone notices. Otherwise, what's the point of the Complex thread? To just sit around and moan? I assumed we're trying to bring about change?

Also, loads of you hated Bendis with a passion and claimed you did so because of his writing. Well guess what? Lemire isn't any better. The base storytelling isn't any better yet, so why does this book and writer get treated differently for some reason? The same problems with the writing still exist, so I feel this warrants an equal level of response.

I've been gone a few months, but I'm now noticing a new disturbing trend where posters use the complex to defend why they buy a book. 'Oh this book is sub par, but I have to support the X-Men.' Oh bull, just be honest. You're buying the book because your fave character is in it and for no other reason. Which is totally fine and actual a valid defence. So just say so. Don't dress it up.
    This as strickly nothing to do with my posts. So maybe you should write this in an answer to me and, by association, try to attribute me those saying/idee especialy when most are contrary to my own point of view.

- I am not calling anyone "hater" and never will: Everyone has his/her own tastes. Someone may dislike what someone else may like. There is no "right or wrong" but different tastes. We may argue about the "quality" of something, based on technical/artistic criteria without being emotional about it. But you can't just tell someone that he/she is "wrong" to like (or dislike) something.

- I don't care in anyway how Marvel handle the franchise. I have no attachment, whatsover, to Marvel or to a franchise. If they publish something that interest me, I will buy and read it. If they don't, I will buy and read something else. It's as simple as that. I have an interest in X-Men books only as long as they interest me (and yes, that's nearly a tautology)

- You are assuming wrong if you think I am trying to bring change: If things change for the better, fine. If they don't, I won't cry over it. There is plenty of other comics, books or other hobbies. I am not going waste time and energy into something useless: far easier to pick something that suit my tastes than exepect to change Marvel's politics on how they handle their books.

- I don't hate Bendis. Quite the contrary: I like his writing. I am only very disapointed with how he resolves his plots (he doesn't) and how he concludes his stories.

- I don't know about Lemire's stories: Imho, it's a little too early to say yet: Some stories start slow and build toward something. But currently I find it rather "bland". Not bad but not special either. Imho, the interaction between some of the characters is well done (different from Bendis but still good) but the plot itself has nothing special.

- I don't feel any need to justify or to defend why I buy a book. I am not ashamed of my tastes.