Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I don't understand the logic behind creating Wonder Woman, anymore.

    How this comic can continue to ignore a supervillain, named Doctor CYBER, in an age of internet, virtual reality and artificial intelligence, just ASTOUNDS me. Seriously...it's the Information Age, and Wonder Woman is consigned to hack her way through one column of witches and krakens, after another! Has anyone on WW's creative team seen the Terminator films or the Resident Evil films, which have been so immensely popular in recent years? Can leaving a zombie-creating super assassin and a cybernetic mastermind - basically, a female Doctor Doom - be justified, in a comic that's struggling as hard, as WW has been, since WWII? Just Doctor Cyber and Bushmaster, alone, represent powerful trends in popular fiction that go completely ignored by the WW comic.

    Again, the logic...who needs Doctor Cyber and Bushmaster, when we have a library of obscure goddesses and witches for Wonder Woman to tangle with? I want so much to understand the reasoning here, but, I just can't. Lord Of The Rings and Xena are great, commercially successful fiction projects, but, Wonder Woman doesn't belong in either of them, ..because she's not Xena or Perseus and she isn't Aragorn or King Arthur.

    I'm not saying the creative team should get rid of the mythical, magical elements, like the Island and the Amazons and the witches and the gryphons and the obscure Greek gods, ..but, it should be understood that these, like Diana's myth-inspired origins, are incidentals. The authentic Wonder Woman story, if we're to go back to her pulp fiction roots in the Golden Age, is how she uses her myth-inspired stuff to save the world from the conquest and destruction created by supervillains, like Barbara Minerva, Doctor Cyber, 52 Circe, Cassandra the Mad and the Termite Queen. When the Greek gods and the magical threats surface, her battles with them should be allowed to play out in the modern, mortal world, and the consequences of them getting the upper hand should threaten that same mortal world that Wonder Woman has sworn to protect.

    The First Born conquered London with his hyena-men, but, what threat did he really pose to London or any other quarter of Man's World? Basically, he took over London and sat around in a cathedral, waiting for Diana and her Army to hand him his backside on a platter...and so what? He conquered Olympus and Paradise Island, and it was horrific, but, what was the big, unspeakable threat to Earth, when he did these things? All of his villainy unfolded in a magical, invisible bubble, without mussing a hair on our mortal heads. Shouldn't there have been some tangible, terrific adversity inflicted upon the world, as is the case with Darkseid and the other big bads, when the First Born seized power?

    Wonder Woman's supervillains have to be shown to be a relevant threat to humankind, and, too often, ..they aren't. Even Wonder Woman's battle with Darkseid played out, without any threat to Earth, whatsoever. The whole story unfolded on Paradise Island and...POOF, it was all gone...and this was her battle with Darkseid?! No threat to the Mortal Coil, at all. Can you imagine that happening in Justice League?

    Problem...
    The Resident Evil and Terminator films have been getting, at best, mixed reactions. Hell, given the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films have gotten better critical acclaim by comparison, focusing on myth and magic doesn't seem like a bad idea for WW. Plus, if you want cyborgs and aliens chances are you can find them in Superman, Avengers or some other property. This is like complaining about demons showing up in Supernatural or Buffy.

    Also, Cheetah is a serial killer. Ares almost caused WWIII. Circe caused at least two civil wars and turned all the world's male heroes into beasts. Dr Psycho torments women with his powers (he was Kilgrave on Jessica Jones before Jessica Jones existed). Seems like those are major problems for humankind.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-05-2016 at 04:57 AM.

  2. #17
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-05-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Deleted duplicate post
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  3. #18
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Resident Evil and Terminator films have been getting, at best, mixed reactions. Hell, given the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films have gotten better critical acclaim by comparison, focusing on myth and magic doesn't seem like a bad idea for WW. Plus, if you want cyborgs and aliens chances are you can find them in Superman, Avengers or some other property. This is like complaining about demons showing up in Supernatural or Buffy.

    Also, Cheetah is a serial killer. Ares almost caused WWIII. Circe caused at least two civil wars and turned all the world's male heroes into beasts. Dr Psycho torments women with his powers (he was Kilgrave on Jessica Jones before Jessica Jones existed). Seems like those are major problems for humankind.
    Good points, and I'm in agreement with some of them.

    However, ..I still think Wonder Woman's villains and Wonder Woman, herself, has to come out and play with the rest of us, sometime. What's going on in her comic has to be shown threatening the world, beyond the shores of her Island, in some demonstrative, tangible way, or what good is she? Seriously...if all of her battles with the mythical threats take place on Olympus or the Island, the story should demonstrate how Mythical Threat X is going to hurt us, if she fails to stop them, ..or her battles become entirely inconsequential.

    With the supervillains, even the ones I named in my blog entry, stories have to have high-stakes that mean something to us. I think First Born's conquest of London - big Born fan over here, BTW - is a perfect example of that. Read it again, and you'll find he didn't make much of an impact on anything, outside of that cathedral. The threat of her villains must be felt by the reader, and too often, they aren't...

    Or what's the point?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-05-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Good points, and I'm in agreement with some of them.

    However, ..I still think Wonder Woman's villains and Wonder Woman, herself, has to come out and play with the rest of us, sometime. What's going on in her comic has to be shown threatening the world, beyond the shores of her Island, in some demonstrative, tangible way, or what good is she? Seriously...if all of her battles with the mythical threats take place on Olympus or the Island, the story should demonstrate how Mythical Threat X is going to hurt us, if she fails to stop them, ..or her battles become entirely inconsequential.

    With the supervillains, even the ones I named in my blog entry, stories have to have high-stakes that mean something to us. I think First Born's conquest of London - big Born fan over here, BTW - is a perfect example of that. Read it again, and you'll find he didn't make much of an impact on anything, outside of that cathedral. The threat of her villains must be felt by the reader, and too often, they aren't...

    Or what's the point?
    Honestly the First Born is one of those few stories that have the problem you're complaining about. More than enough WW stories take place outside Olympus or Themyscira and a change in venue is needed every once in a while. One of the biggest criticisms against the Thur movies is too much time spen on Earth.

  5. #20
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    I think this comic is still wasting its best rogues, and it's had a score of chances to prove, otherwise. I don't feel sorry for the WW comic.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think this comic is still wasting its best rogues, and it's had a score of chances to prove, otherwise. I don't feel sorry for the WW comic.
    I completely agree Mel. COMPLETELY.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are no bad Wonder Villains, just unrealized ones. Maybe it's my creativity talking or the fact that I've been considering the options for so many of them for so long (or that I've read too much Morrison), but it's what I think and feel.

    I'm thankful that I see all the Wonder concepts and Wonder villains and Wonder heroes and Wonder supporting characters as one huge web of connections and intrigues (some direct and more indirect, for the former and the latter.)

    I mean, just let me get my hands on DOCTOR DOMINO when he tries to destroy Diana's city of [REDACTED].

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,490

    Default

    There is also Duke of Deception, Earl of Greed, Queen of Sharks ,Gundra, and Dark Angel
    Support IMPOSSIBLE JONES

    impossiblekickstarter.com

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I mean, just let me get my hands on DOCTOR DOMINO when he tries to destroy Diana's city of [REDACTED].
    YES!! I thought I was the ONLY one who remembered the good Doctor Domino from his one-and-done appearance waaaay back in the early '70s. (WW #205, 1973 with the "classic" cover of her tied up to a missile with her lasso.)

  9. #24
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I definitely think one of the long-time WW posters on this forum should be in the big wig’s ears influencing how WW is portrayed across various media. I would definitely trust someone like Mel Dyer as the editor of the WE office at DC. They need to see posts and opinions on this, the kind of stuff they have focus groups on and whatnot.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    To fix the Bushmaster you only need to change his name to his scientific one Lachesis (/ˈlękɪsɪs/; Greek: Λάχεσις, Lakhesis, "disposer of lots", from λαγχάνω, lanchano, "to obtain by lot, by fate, or by the will of the gods"), in ancient Greek religion, was the second of the Three Fates, or Moirai: Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    YES!! I thought I was the ONLY one who remembered the good Doctor Domino from his one-and-done appearance waaaay back in the early '70s. (WW #205, 1973 with the "classic" cover of her tied up to a missile with her lasso.)
    I mean, Diana needs to have a theatrical organized crime lord or two operating out of her city. I've got ideas and plans for Doctor Domino. I'm glad someone else remembers him and his distinctive mask.

  12. #27
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    I just saw Doctor Domino....so bizarre! I love him!
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Five Wonder adversaries that I know could be amazing with some love, care, and respect:

    1. Osira
    2. Eviless
    3. Anton Unreal
    4. Captain Wonder
    5. Lady Lunar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •