Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman#2 Discussion and Spoilers

We begin with the flashback to Rogul Zarr leading a Thangarian army against the Tamerians on a planet colonised by them, we then cut to a montage of Superman averting disasters before settling in the present where he links up psychically with the other JL members to assess the situation with the Earth, now stuck in the phantom zone. We see Rogul Zarr confront someone in the Zone...it's Nuclear Man. Zarr easily deals with him, reducing him to a husk.. He spots Superman and decides he needs an army to deal with the Kryptonian. Back at the new fortress, Clark is visited by Barry (who's a redhead like Wally for some reason), Barry says he needs to pee and makes endless quips about the situation before suddenly falling ill. Batman contacts Superman to let him know he is having chest and bowl trouble (no, I'm serious) and Clark thinks to himself that he may never see his family again

I loved the super-feats on display, and I sort of knew the Nuclear Man cameo would amount to nothing but a few cool pages...but Barry was way OOC (Bendis even tries to make up for the continuity snarl by having Barry say "I forgot which Flash he was"), really thought the toilet humour was out-of-place, especially with Batman. Quite liked that there was a psychic hotline to the other JL members, gives the whole situation more scope outside of Supes' involvement.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-08-2018 at 01:14 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So, first off, Clark's opening anecdote about his conversation with Oliver was about as close to perfect Superman characterization as someone can get. No hyperbole needed.

Anyways, this is the first issue where I found myself thinking that Bendis spends the issue mostly tip toeing. There's nothing bad or offensive--it's actually pretty solid comics--but there's also no major leaps being made. But, I'll admit, this might be chalked up to the fact that we've gone from an event book to two number 1s with big openers over the span of a few consecutive weeks, and now we've gotta come up for air and do some good 'ol fashion bread crumb, long-form plotting so a competent and cohesive narrative arc can form. Only enough, my one initial hand-up about the issue is that the big "whaaaa" shock moments are being left behind in favor of real plotting and mystery, and I'm adjusting lol

Speaking of mystery, "has anyone seen Green Lantern?" is a great question. Sure he could've been (and likely is) off world, but then you gotta remember that one of his job's old bosses was involved in the Zaar/Krypton incident. Him not being there seems like a big clue given how prominent and traditional cop-like Bendis made him in MOS.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Mediocre issue, the concept alone has infinite potential but Bendis found a way to make it dull and unimportant because he's more interested in his Rogol Zarr who still remains visually unappealing and a complete blank slate of a character whose not even original.

I cant stand how he writes Barry. It came off more like Wally (except super annoying) and they even made him a redhead. Smh.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Was that supposed to be Barry? Terrible characterization and they didn't even get his hair color right. I truly don't know what editors do these days.

I also find it weird Bendis ignored the three minority JL members who aren't WW. No sign of John, Cyborg or Hawkgirl, but Plastic Man and Hawkman are around?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yes... I think we all forgot which Flash that is supposed to be, haha.

We've been seeing it here and there, but now we're in full Bendis-speak. Which I think just works against me personally having read so many of his comics. Maybe other people won't notice it as much. But once you read his text in the voice of Woody Allen, you can't unhear it. It's also coupled with decompression, which is weird because it's not like it was light on dialogue or art. It could have been a more substantial read instead of splashes with small scenes apparently light in clues or new ideas. That special guest just made no sense, though I was already sure that this would be the extent of his appearance.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Well...Superman IV is sorta canon now I guess so...yay?

As usual Superman's voice and internal dialogue is spot on and it, and Ivan Reis' fab art, are the high points of the issue.

But the rest...eh. It certainly isn't outright terrible but nothing really happened in the span of 20 pages. Plus Bendis' handle on Barry is pretty tenuous. It's like he is basing his characterization of Barry on Ezra Miller's version from JL, which was entertaining there, but it definitely doesn't work here. I'm not a Flash expert by any means but it's hard to miss how...off...his Barry is. Yeah it could be an in story reason for how strangely Barry is acting as hinted in the dialogue, but whatever the reason Bendis needs to do more research on Barry's "voice".

All in all probably Bendis' least enjoyable issue since MOS #5. A definite step down from #1 and ACTION #1001.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Mighty Member

I thought the idea was that we were supposed to think it was Barry until the hood came off. It would at least explain why he was acting more like Wally. Because he was Wally, but the Phantom Zone was making him confuse himself with Barry. But I'm not sure.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I thought the idea was that we were supposed to think it was Barry until the hood came off. It would at least explain why he was acting more like Wally. Because he was Wally, but the Phantom Zone was making him confuse himself with Barry. But I'm not sure.
    If that's the case, why didn't Superman immediately realize it wasn't Barry? You'd think he'd immediately notice the different voice and ask Wally why he was wearing Barry's suit?

I mean didn't Supes find it weird Wally was trying to pass himself off as Barry? Its as if he was suprised as we were supposed to be if indeed that was the case.

I've got a feeling the " Im getting confused which Flash I am" and the red hair are last minute editorial tweeks to explain off why Bendis Barry sounds like Wally or Ezra Miller's Barry who is basically Wally anyway.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-08-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

This is just a theory, but what if Bendis wrote the issue thinking it was Wally, Ivan sent in his pages, and then editorial caught it and told him it was meant to be Barry, so Bendis hastily wrote in a "forgot who I was" line to make up for the blunder.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It feels like Bendis' only exposure to Barry Allen is the JL movie. Btw, he writes Superman well, which is what matters most in his series.

“Wow it’s like a fortress… like a fortress of solitude.”
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-08-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Like others have said, Superman is the ONLY character that feels right. Everyone else is written very oddly. The Nuclear Man stuff was... why? I actually was excited when he was announced, but instead it was kind of a one off joke thing. I dunno. Kinda unsure if I'll be staying on beyond the first arc.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Master Hero Vladimir

Since there wasn't much in the way of narrative progression, I guess this was a character-driven issue, a character study focusing on Superman. We know Earth is trapped in the Phantom Zone, but rather than advancing the main storyline, the issue focuses on what Superman thinks about the situation and how he reaffirms his ideals in order to save the day. What this issue lacks in storyline progress, it makes up in character exploration. Again, I have problems with Bendis' quirky dialogue and the Flash's portrayal. Was that Barry or Wally? In the comic books, Barry is blonde and Wally is a redhead, but if this Flash was Barry, why does he have red hair? Was it an artistic error or did Wally somehow think he was Barry and went on to put on Barry's suit? Maybe the Phantom Zone somehow disrupted the Speed Force. Either way, this was a good issue and, in my opinion, Superman is the stronger of the two books Bendis is handling at the moment.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    If that's the case, why didn't Superman immediately realize it wasn't Barry? You'd think he'd immediately notice the different voice and ask Wally why he was wearing Barry's suit?

I mean didn't Supes find it weird Wally was trying to pass himself off as Barry? Its as if he was suprised as we were supposed to be if indeed that was the case.

I've got a feeling the " Im getting confused which Flash I am" and the red hair are last minute editorial tweeks to explain off why Bendis Barry sounds like Wally or Ezra Miller's Barry who is basically Wally anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Like others have said, Superman is the ONLY character that feels right. Everyone else is written very oddly. The Nuclear Man stuff was... why? I actually was excited when he was announced, but instead it was kind of a one off joke thing. I dunno. Kinda unsure if I'll be staying on beyond the first arc.
    Maybe this is the point. Martian Manhunter's been acting weird, Flash has been acting weird. Nothing feels quite right. Maybe it's all an illusion. Superman thinks the Earth is trapped in the phantom zone, but really he is somewhere else. And this isn't the Justice League he has been interacting with.

Or maybe the Phantom Zone is messing with them all and that's why they are acting a little off. Superman too, which is why he didn't comment on the Wally in Barry's suit thing.

Either way, Action Comics seems like the way more successful version of Bendis's Superman.
    Last edited by Sam; 08-08-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Maybe this is the point. Martian Manhunter's been acting weird, Flash has been acting weird. Nothing feels quite right. Maybe it's all an illusion. Superman thinks the Earth is trapped in the phantom zone, but really he is somewhere else. And this isn't the Justice League he has been interacting with.

Either way, Action Comics seems like the way more successful version of Bendis's Superman.
    Thank you. This has been my thinking as well. You had a child think that Superman started the fires. All is not what it seems. I'll wait and see how this plays out.