Default Appreciation discussions, images and thread titles. Please read!

I'm very heartened by the fact that the first batch of new threads on the forum are 'Appreciation' threads as it shows a lot of folks like the positive new direction. Posting anything that isn't 'appreciative' in those threads will be considered trolling and trollers will be permanently banned first time out, no warnings given.

That being said, please feel free to start threads that *do* allow for differences of opinions, but be mindful of the new forum rules regarding behavior on the forums. If you are not contributing to the discussion in a meaningful fashion, either by derailing threads, repeating the same opinion ad nauseum, or poking those with opposing views with sharp verbal sticks, you will be banned.

I cannot stress enough - this does not mean you cannot have a negative opinion on a subject. You just need to express that opinion in a mature fashion and not beat people over the head with it. If you dislike something (or even if you like it), please provide sound reasons for your opinions and discuss it in a civil manner.

To further clarify - An 'appreciation' thread is a place to go to post positive things you like about the subject, be it pictures, discussion, etc. However, what an 'appreciation' thread is not? It's not a refuge or an excuse to post entire discussions on comic book issues or previews and the like without opposing opinions. For example, a five page preview is released for a book and you like how a character is portrayed in a panel or two, feel free to toss them into the Appreciation thread. You want to discuss the entire preview? Make a new thread about it and an open discussion will follow.

Also, we know images are important in sharing appreciation for characters and to make observations. However, to keep load times speedy, we request that you please limit image sizes where possible. In general, if it's so big that we have to scroll down to see the whole image, it's too large. For example, a cover image probably doesn't need to be big in order for people to see it/remember it/understand it, and probably could just as easily be linked to instead of embedded. However, a page where you're trying to showcase dialogue or minute artist details would need to be big enough to make those items readable or viewable.

We as moderators may shrink or remove images and may send out reminders should large images be a continued problem.

Appreciation threads are not a private members only club to exclude people with opposing opinions from expressing their viewpoint, and there will not be two separate threads, one for people who liked Issue 30 and those who want to discuss it with all points of view. This forum will not be segregated in such a fashion.

Also take note of the rule that says do not use 'discussion,' 'thread' or 'official' in any thread titles. I've had to edit a large number of those today as we settle in, but if folks continue to ignore this rule, warnings will be issued (believe me, I don't want to issue any warnings!)
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Cool. I like the appreciation threads. Truth in advertising and all that!

Cool. Noted and thanks, Gaelforce.

BANNED

gotcha gael

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Roger that!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Thank you!

Retired

I don't mind the "appreciation" threads--I just think the overuse of the word "appreciation" for every topic makes the forums seem bland. I encourage fellow posters to be a little more original in their topic titles--and that might invite more interest in your threads. Howabout: The Jimm Olsen Fan Club; I Love Lois Lane; Superboy's Hall of Fame; The Wonderful World of Supergirl; Krypto: It's a Super-Dog's Life; In Praise of Superman & Wonder Woman; A man, a cigar, a newspaper: Perry White; The Fortress of Solitude Trophies; On the Edge with Morgan Edge; etc.

As an old Superman editor used to say--B.O.--be original.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't mind the "appreciation" threads--I just think the overuse of the word "appreciation" for every topic makes the forums seem bland. I encourage fellow posters to be a little more original in their topic titles--and that might invite more interest in your threads. Howabout: The Jimm Olsen Fan Club; I Love Lois Lane; Superboy's Hall of Fame; The Wonderful World of Supergirl; Krypto: It's a Super-Dog's Life; In Praise of Superman & Wonder Woman; A man, a cigar, a newspaper: Perry White; The Fortress of Solitude Trophies; On the Edge with Morgan Edge; etc.

As an old Superman editor used to say--B.O.--be original.
    Good idea

But if you want nothing but positive comments and no debate, use 'appreciation' in the title.

I'd like to see less of them as well to be honest, and if people abuse it too much then I might revoke the 'hands off' policy.

And there will *absolutely* be no 'Appreciation' threads for individual issues or previews or discussion topics.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin

Added this blurb at the top:

Also, we know images are important in sharing appreciation for characters and to make observations. However, to keep load times speedy, we request that you please limit image sizes where possible. In general, if it's so big that we have to scroll down to see the whole image, it's too large. For example, a cover image probably doesn't need to be big in order for people to see it/remember it/understand it, and probably could just as easily be linked to instead of embedded. However, a page where you're trying to showcase dialogue or minute artist details would need to be big enough to make those items readable or viewable.

We as moderators may shrink or remove images and may send out reminders should large images be a continued problem.

We've both been experiencing some lag when loading the forums and various threads and this is one tool we can use to combat it. Plus if we're experiencing lag, there's no telling how many other readers and posters of this forum are, too, and we want everyone to be able to appreciate their favorite characters.

UPDATE!!!

Appreciation threads have gotten so long that they are (in part) causing the forums to crash and/or slow down to a crawl.

As such, many of them across a lot of forums have been locked and new threads started.

That being said, it is time to stop with the petty 'my longer thread proves my favorite hero/couple/team is best' nonsense. Not only is it childish, but spamming these threads is just causing the same problem all over again.

So post with moderation, post multiple pictures and links in one message and not just one picture per post, and don't just copy and paste all of the pics from the previous thread.

Spamming of Appreciation threads in this forum will be deleted as a preventative to further technical difficulties for the entire board.

Use some common sense, folks and enjoy and celebrate your favorites with moderation!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin