Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 3108

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,397

    Default Tomorrow comes: Legends of Tomorrow

    There was a lot of raised eyebrows when Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller were drafted onto DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW--but I thought they and Caity Lotz were actually the best thing in the Pilot Part 1. And yes, I'm surprised to hear myself say that.

    First episodes are always a bit of a slog and I'm not judging the entire series based on this pilot, but the part I enjoyed most was the scene with Purcell, Miller and Lotz. With them on board the show won't get tedious.

    Celebrating 150 Years of the Hectograph!
    1869 - 2019
    👍

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but nothing about it really engaged me, at least for most of the hour. It was mostly a bunch of exposition about Vandal Savage buttressed around 40 minutes of stuff that just happened so they could talk about Vandal Savage. Things didn't really start to click dramatically until Hunter's "confession" at the end. Speaking of Hunter, I didn't much care for the actor playing him. On the flip side, the guy playing Hawkman was much less annoying than he was on Arrow/Flash. The intro scene with Cold/Heat seems to confirm my theory about Jewel Staite's future character most likely being related to either Snart or Rory.The fact that Stein, a college professor, just happened to have some knockout drugs in his office to slip Jax raises all kinds of unsettling questions. I though Routh was the best from a character standpoint. He really projected the emptiness he felt at the realization that his life's work would amount to nothing. I felt bad for the guy.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but nothing about it really engaged me, at least for most of the hour. It was mostly a bunch of exposition about Vandal Savage buttressed around 40 minutes of stuff that just happened so they could talk about Vandal Savage. Things didn't really start to click dramatically until Hunter's "confession" at the end. Speaking of Hunter, I didn't much care for the actor playing him. On the flip side, the guy playing Hawkman was much less annoying than he was on Arrow/Flash. The intro scene with Cold/Heat seems to confirm my theory about Jewel Staite's future character most likely being related to either Snart or Rory.The fact that Stein, a college professor, just happened to have some knockout drugs in his office to slip Jax raises all kinds of unsettling questions. I though Routh was the best from a character standpoint. He really projected the emptiness he felt at the realization that his life's work would amount to nothing. I felt bad for the guy.
    Everything you said is invalid in my mind. It was the best super hero show intro I've ever seen. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.


    The Hunter actor and characterization were great, the cast was great. The only one that seems a bit forced was the non victor garber half of firestorm, but having captain cold and his hot head brother around are a treat. That bar scene was pure gold.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-22-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: rude

  4. #4
    New and Improved hulahulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Everything you said is invalid in my mind. It was the best super hero show intro I've ever seen. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment.


    The Hunter actor and characterization were great, the cast was great. The only one that seems a bit forced was the non victor garber half of firestorm, but having captain cold and his hot head brother around are a treat. That bar scene was pure gold.
    Pure gold? Hmm. To each his own.

    The acting alone is marginal; very cheesy in regards to the Fire & Ice Bobsy Twins. But I know not to expect too much from this show, having stayed true to Flash and Arrow despite those shows having the same flaws.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

  5. #5
    Incredible Member KoriandrJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    997

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but nothing about it really engaged me, at least for most of the hour. It was mostly a bunch of exposition about Vandal Savage buttressed around 40 minutes of stuff that just happened so they could talk about Vandal Savage. Things didn't really start to click dramatically until Hunter's "confession" at the end. Speaking of Hunter, I didn't much care for the actor playing him. On the flip side, the guy playing Hawkman was much less annoying than he was on Arrow/Flash. The intro scene with Cold/Heat seems to confirm my theory about Jewel Staite's future character most likely being related to either Snart or Rory.The fact that Stein, a college professor, just happened to have some knockout drugs in his office to slip Jax raises all kinds of unsettling questions. I though Routh was the best from a character standpoint. He really projected the emptiness he felt at the realization that his life's work would amount to nothing. I felt bad for the guy.
    WTF? Stein knocked out Jax and forced him to come along?!!
    Last edited by KoriandrJean; 03-07-2016 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Need answers and opinions

  6. #6
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,397

    Default

    When you think about it, almost half of the Legends have reason to be angry with the other half.

    Kendra was angry with Carter for being pressured into becoming Hawkgirl and embracing her unremembered past. She's made her peace with that (it seems) and Carter is dead for now, but still she had that chip on her shoulder.

    Rory was angry with Snart for what he saw as a betrayal.

    And Jax has good reason to be angry with Stein for abducting him on this mission.

    Sara and Ray seem to be okay with each other, but they probably resent Rip's high-handed deception in getting them to join the Legends.

    And consdering Sara and Ray, I want to see some more going on between them. After all, they have the most in common with each other. Everyone else is relatively new--but Ray and Sara are established characters from ARROW and they have all that shared background. I would think they'd be spending more time together, talking about the friends they have in common.
    Celebrating 150 Years of the Hectograph!
    1869 - 2019
    👍

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    WTF? Stein knocked out Jax and forced him to come along?!!
    Yep. And the way the scene played out made it looked like he had the whole thing planned in advance.

  8. #8
    Newbie Member Azrael666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I thought the pilot was pretty good and the show has potential. The best part is that all of the characters, aside from Rip, have already developed their backstory and origins so CW doesn't have to waste any time on that. My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times. Plus that way the Hawk's still have their "immortality". Not only that, the staff they "needed" to kill him (a plotline that you can tell won't come back up) would be right there to use on him. That is going to bother me this entire series and I hope they mention some reasoning as to why they don't do this, like maybe the Egyptian Hawk's seeing their future selves would cause a butterfly effect or something. Anyway I'm going to stick with the series because it was enjoyable and I'm going to need to fill that 8 p.m. timeslot since Heroes is over.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Black_Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    856

    Default

    I really enjoyed this, sure the start was a bit rushed (dude shows up talking up time travel and they automatically believe him), but besides that it was really fun and it had a surprising amount of heart with the "Hawk family" subplot. Can't wait to see how all these different characters work alongside one another and the relationship they forge, can already tell Heatwave is going steal the show. Only thing I found kinda odd was a team of 8 powerful superheroes running away from one guy with a laser gun.

    Also I wonder if they will address why Merlyn brought back Savage (at least I assume so after what happened on Arrow).

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael666 View Post
    My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times.
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

  10. #10
    Newbie Member Azrael666's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    That was mentioned but they jumped back 4 decades and the side effects weren't too tragic. Why don't they jump back, gradually increasing the amount of years each jump. Rip jumped 150 years with no side effects so I imagine that you grow a tolerance the more times you travel back. Even if they only went back 4 decades at a time, rested and traveled back again they would eventually get there. Based on when King Tut lived it would take about 87 jumps, at 4 decades each time, to reach ancient Egyptian times. If Rip went back alone at 150 year jumps at a time he could make it 22 trips. He could just go back alone and kill Vandal before the meteor, to hell with the Hawks "immortality".

  11. #11
    Incredible Member signalman112's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Off to a GOOD start. Solid 'B'
    Favorite scene: The Bar fight with the White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave.

    Also like the the Hawks reunion with their son.

    The Back story of Rip Hunter. The Waverider is cool looking inside and out.

    Also get to see Atom in his small size.

  12. #12
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,275

    Default

    Better-than-average pilot episode, IMO. I'm sold already.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  13. #13
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Off to a GOOD start. Solid 'B'
    Favorite scene: The Bar fight with the White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heat Wave.

    Also like the the Hawks reunion with their son.

    The Back story of Rip Hunter. The Waverider is cool looking inside and out.

    Also get to see Atom in his small size.
    When that ship decloaked I had a grin on my face from ear to ear, I looked like Ray Palmer.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    Another reason would be there's no way to know how much Savage has influenced human history and there could be major changes if he suddenly disappeared from history. Operating from the shadows he could have suggested the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (which led to WWI), whispered into Emperor Hirohito ear to bomb Pearl Harbor (prompting the US to enter WWII), or gave Lee Harvey Oswald to kill JFK.

    He also could have encouraged Leonardo Da Vinci to pursue an art career, steered Edward Jenner toward a small pox vaccine or secretly back Alexander Graham Bell in his telephone invention. Erasing Savage could cause none of these events to happen completely changing the course of history. It could even most of the heroes to not exist at all. Savage must survive past 2016 (on up to Hunter's recent past) at least to insure history remains relatively unchanged. The most the team could do is 'pull the teeth' on his world dominating plans in hopes of weakening his power for a future conquest.

  15. #15
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Another reason would be there's no way to know how much Savage has influenced human history and there could be major changes if he suddenly disappeared from history. Operating from the shadows he could have suggested the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (which led to WWI), whispered into Emperor Hirohito ear to bomb Pearl Harbor (prompting the US to enter WWII), or gave Lee Harvey Oswald to kill JFK.

    He also could have encouraged Leonardo Da Vinci to pursue an art career, steered Edward Jenner toward a small pox vaccine or secretly back Alexander Graham Bell in his telephone invention. Erasing Savage could cause none of these events to happen completely changing the course of history. It could even most of the heroes to not exist at all. Savage must survive past 2016 (on up to Hunter's recent past) at least to insure history remains relatively unchanged. The most the team could do is 'pull the teeth' on his world dominating plans in hopes of weakening his power for a future conquest.
    That right there is the best explanation of why the trivial path of going back to the point where he was created/weaker is not tenable. An immortal that has walked the earth and directly influenced events throughout the ages is the mother of all butterflies, to remove him is to essentially reset huge swaths of history.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •