Page 162 of 277 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212262 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 4155
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The most incredible thing was that in the 1950s, in Memphis, the white church-goers were so tolerant of non-white people in their church--to the point of a white man kissing a black woman, more than ten years before Kirk kissed Uhura.

But I'm happy to look the other way on that revisionist history, for the sake of a lovely story.
    Heh. I believe both sides pf the racial divide would have had a problem with that back then.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love how it was pretty obvious it wasn't actually the Elvis actor singing the fake Elvis songs .
    I wish he had been lip-syncing to the real Elvis instead. Nobody would have gone crazy 64 years ago over the guy impersonating Elvis' voice, IMO.

Some songs, like "Amazing Grace," are probably not that expensive to cover. I don't think Elvis wrote any of his songs--and many were recorded by other artists before Elvis covered them.

The big song in this episode was probably supposed to be "That's All Right, Mama"--one of the early rockers by Elvis--but they likely couldn't get the rights. They seem to have settled for "I'm Gone, Mama"--which Elvis never covered, as far as I can find. Jim Murphy recorded that song in 1957--not 1954--and to my ear it sounds a little ahead of its time for 1954. The arrangement is much more advanced than what Elvis was doing on his early records.
    I agree, Jim. It didn't sound right at all to me. BTW, were people (like the very fictional preacher uncle of the King did in the episode) talking about rock 'n' roll back in '54?

And Maisie Richardson-Sellers has a special brand of magic. The camera could linger on her face for five minutes and I'd be entertained.
    Couldn't agree more. She is just divine.

The most incredible thing was that in the 1950s, in Memphis, the white church-goers were so tolerant of non-white people in their church--to the point of a white man kissing a black woman, more than ten years before Kirk kissed Uhura.
    I honestly kept expecting either the preacher or someone at the Church to make some kind of intolerant or ignorant comment towards the Legends, but I guess I'm glad the show held itself back on that front.

It's weird how Nate and Amaya dancing and kissing didn't make me think about the actual real-world ramifications, but Zari and Wally questioning a white preacher, in all-white church, in Jim Crow-era Mempis, did. I was half expecting the preacher to call Wally boy instead of son.

They did not have to make the whole episode about how uncomfortable white folks in the 1950's South would be with a white man and a black woman showing affection, but they definitely should have addressed it. Ditto for Zari and Wally. (I died at him dabbing)

All of that stuff aside, I still enjoyed the episode. And, man, Maisie, at the end. I think I'm in love lol

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly kept expecting either the preacher or someone at the Church to make some kind of intolerant or ignorant comment towards the Legends, but I guess I'm glad the show held itself back on that front.
    It actually took me out of the episode. The show had addressed this a few times before whenever the team entered an era filled with heavy racism. It didn't feel right this episode outright ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It actually took me out of the episode. The show had addressed this a few times before whenever the team entered an era filled with heavy racism. It didn't feel right this episode outright ignored it.
    I could be wrong, but I think I recall reading the churches Elvis went to were usually more progressive regarding race relations than the typical of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Such as the time they went to a southern plantation back in the Civil War. I was surprised just how heavy and serious that episode was considering the general goofiness of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So/ whomever has the death totem controls the dead, eh? So the legends might fight zombies? Not sure how i feel about that. I have to say this episode bothered me for a lot of reasons; i thought the whole elvis bit was a little self indulgent- then there was the subplot involving mick’s rat- the whole nature of change is making me wonder who’s next.
    But they already fought zombies in Season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Such as the time they went to a southern plantation back in the Civil War. I was surprised just how heavy and serious that episode was considering the general goofiness of the show.
    And still Nate and Amaya were able to attend a soiree without anyone really batting much of an eye .

My memory's a little foggy but I do remember one guy during the soiree commenting on their coupling. To which Nate replied that they were married in Boston, or something to that effect. It definitely should have gotten more fanfare, as well.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Well that was a cute little episode. With an interesting premise too, since it basically had no antagonist whatsoever.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    There was also the episode in season 1 when the team found Savage living in a suburb in 1958 and Ray and Hawkgirl attended a house party. I remember a old woman handing Hawkgirl her glass thinking she was one of the servants. It was a subtle bit of racism I thought the show handled well.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    But they already fought zombies in Season 2.
    Thanks for reminding me; now i definitely don’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think I recall reading the churches Elvis went to were usually more progressive regarding race relations than the typical of that time.
    A fun fact about Elvis; he grew up listening to blues and jazz, and grew up in the poorer neighborhood. Right along the border that segregated whites and blacks. He was also close friends with people like B. B. King. He wasn't one to bring up race relations (he never said much on politics in general), but always gave others their due. Including blacks that would normally be pushed into the background.

So I could see his church being more open-minded to non-whites coming in, as long as they were respectful and what not.

Slightly surprised they didn't cover Elvis being a Momma's boy more. As she was a major influence in his young life.