Page 122 of 277 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 4155

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing that bugged me about the Stein plot is that time travel means there is no real problem for Martin. They can all return to 2017 at the exact point when Lilly has her baby. This is the kind of silly premise frequently given in time travel shows, but I found it especially annoying here, because Stein should know better.

However, the episode felt like it had a few cuts. So maybe there was more to the story than we saw. There's an odd jump, where suddenly everyone who was in 2017 (Stein, Jax and Rory) are now back in the '80s on Hallowe'en night, without any exposition to cover how they got back in time to be there.

I can accept this kind of daft plot--especially on LOT--just as long as they cover it with some pseudo-science. For instance, we saw that Ray was at risk of disappearing from the timeline, but that it hadn't yet become a fixed fact. So that could have caused Martin's whole dilemma with Lily. If there's a true fear that time itself can always get rewritten--it's vital to Martin to get there to 2017, to see his grandchild, so he can retain the memory and not lose them.

But Martin might have also created a temporal quandary by communicating with Lily in 2017--that itself might have made it impossible for him to go back to the period of her pregnancy in 2017 without messing up the timeline he had already established with her, through their communications. For both of them that had already happened, so by going back to any point prior to the granchld's birth, Stein could have butterfly effected those events.
    the thing you are forgetting though is that even though Martin can visit his daughter at any time which is true, he is still aging on the time ship. It works the same way. He already has this bit about not really remembering his own daughters life since he made her. I think its easy to see that he doesn't want to miss another chance to see a child develop which in all honesty can be an even bigger accomplishment then anything he has done in the scientific field. That is what i think they are trying to achieve here. Steins head aint in it despite what he says because his life is having a deeper chance at meaning here. Even in the previous episode there was no record of what happened to the the crew of the waverider they just disappeared. This probably compacted that even more making stein think he had no influence in his grand childs life. Which also pretty much set up that those people never really have a life outside of doing what they are doing here.

Retired

I understand Martin's problem in the long term. And I wish they would have the characters talk more about how they are aging and the consequences of going back to their original timelines.

But the problem in this episode was that Martin made it seem like something that was happening any second now. That his daughter was going to have her baby at any minute. But that wasn't true for him, because he's on the Waverider. So he could have waited a day until after the situation with Ray was resolved and then gone back to 2017 in time for his grandchild to be born. The time crunch made no sense the way they set it up.

Stein leaving the Waverirder on a permanent basis to live out his life, that makes sense to me. Because that's a question of months and years, not minutes and days.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I understand Martin's problem in the long term. And I wish they would have the characters talk more about how they are aging and the consequences of going back to their original timelines.

But the problem in this episode was that Martin made it seem like something that was happening any second now. That his daughter was going to have her baby at any minute. But that wasn't true for him, because he's on the Waverider. So he could have waited a day until after the situation with Ray was resolved and then gone back to 2017 in time for his grandchild to be born. The time crunch made no sense the way they set it up.

Stein leaving the Waverirder on a permanent basis to live out his life, that makes sense to me. Because that's a question of months and years, not minutes and days.
    I dunno, I can get behind the idea of him wanting to be there as it was happening in real time. I know time is relative because they are on a TIME ship, but I would think there is something to being their in the organic moment rather than revisiting time that already happened.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Gumball learned to 'it is better to ridicule, than to be angry.'

I guess Gumball stayed home when the Dominators tried to invade Earth.

I hope we see more 'friendly' aliens in Earth-1, like in Earth-38.

Favorite moments:

-Leaving the note
    -Sara and Nate 'not crying'
    -baby Ronnie (so sweet; wonder how Caitlin will react)
    -Mick handing everyone (including the baby) cigars
    -Mick holding up the bullies

So next week, vampires? Please, please, please, please, please have Andrew Bennett appear and have the 'nerds' bug him with vampire questions.

Example:

Ray: "So are you more of an Anne Rice vampire, or Twilight vampire? I mean do you fry or sparkle in the sun?"

Nate: "Or are you more like the vampires from Preacher?"

Ray: "Right; forgot about that."

Andrew (now completely exasperated): Stop talking!

Retired

I like how Ray befriends creatures that other people would call monsters. Dominators, dinosaurs . . . If Ray ever had to fight for survival in the Amazon jungle, he would probably get along well with the jungle creatures there.

While it was nice hearing Victor Garber's voice in the intro, I think it's about time they changed the text of "don't call us heroes, we're legends" to something else.

That's a problem I often have with time travel stories. They treat other times as though they were different places instead of different times. To paraphrase Dr. Emmett Brown, "He wasn't thinking fourth dimensionally."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

While it was nice hearing Victor Garber's voice in the intro, I think it's about time they changed the text of "don't call us heroes, we're legends" to something else.
    100% agree on that, Jim.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

While the Legends due hop about in time they are experiencing their time in 'real time'. So Martin probably the approximate time of the birth and was following it in real time and wanting to be there when it actually happened. He could have just jumped forward to the exact moment by asking Gideon but maybe felt it was a little bit like cheating (sort of like jumping ahead in a movie to see how it ends and then going back to see how it lead up to the ending) and it would only have hastened his leaving the Legends earlier to become a grandfather to his new grandchild.

Astonishing Member

Oh well. Silly as it is to question it at this point I did think the whole situation was sweet.

Though was anyone else at least a little weirded out to have an entire scene with the newborn grandkid and then for the show to not show Lily whatsoever in said scene? Seems especially odd given they had the actress actually make the call to Stein only a little earlier to let him know.

Am I forgetting something but in the Arrowverse isn't someone else's kid already named Ronnie as well after the original?

Something tells me that Dominator and Nate is going to become a "Never Lives It Down" moment for Nate.

Zari dressing up as Isis really did genuinely crack me up. I can only imagine how they convinced her to dress up in the outfit in the first place.

Also I'm a bit amused that Zari in the opening scenes gives her opinions on everyone on the team but Sara and Ray.

I am also a little surprised at the way the show made a bit effort to show Ray as a "loser" as a kid considering when we met him in Arrow he was a multimillion or billionaire, pretty jacked (doing the same type of excercises Ollie does) and formerly happily married to his wife of (presumably) many years. Wonder when and if they'll ever mention his wife again and explore his story as such. He's aside from stein the only one on the team who ever got married, that we know of.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Snart or Mick were married to someone at some point. Wouldn't even put it past Mick to still be legally married and have that as a punchline somewhere.

Zari: Wait. You're married?
    Jax: You never even leave the ship?! How can you be married?
    Ray: Yeah I'm lost.
    Sara: Hmm. Interesting. I pulled up some 2017 era files and yeah. I can see that...
    Mick: It didn't take. There's only so long we could be together before one of us tried to kill each other. Or as it happened, she drove off with my loot one day. Eh. It happens.
    Stein: So...might I inquire. If you don't even see each other anymore, why not get a divorce.
    Mick: Hard to get a divorce when the other person is fleeing the state or country all the time. Plus I don't know where she is either.

BANNED

Perfect episode. Loved every moment, except for Zari very obviously hitting on Ray. Not every new character has to be part of a romance with another character. Completely unnecessary.

Retired

Was Zari hitting on Ray? I thought that was just compassion. Maybe she sees "the man with the child in his eyes."

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Perfect episode. Loved every moment, except for Zari very obviously hitting on Ray. Not every new character has to be part of a romance with another character. Completely unnecessary.
    Uh....yeaaaah totally did not get that vibe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Normally, I can pick up on these things pretty quickly. But I didn't really get that feeling between them. At least not yet. Zari got a glimpse of Ray's (rather lonely) childhood, and learned a bit more about him (he really is a big, blue boy scout).

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. Actually I did think she might've liked Ray but it's really subtle since it's definitely more in the "He's kinda cute even though he's an idiot." start than any real hitting on/hint of romance yet.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Who's the father of Stein's grandchild and why wasn't he present during the birth?