Page 153 of 277 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 4155
    Retired

I love time loop stories and this one exploited all the tropes to good effect--and made sense in the end (although the set up kind of predicted that if you were paying attention).

How come no one ever references Dick Lupoff's story "12:01 PM" from the December 1973 issue of THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION or the 1993 movie of the same name (same year as GROUNDHOG DAY) plus the 1990 short film with Kurtwood Smith (there's your Star Trek connection)--the plot of which resembles the plot of this episode more than GROUNDHOG DAY.

Not only was this a fun and funny episode, it also got me deep in the feels. So much information to unpack. And the end scene with Mr. West had me cracking up. He's going to fit right in.

The episode title "Here I go again" reference checks ABBA'S "Mamma Mia" and Zari even says the line. Also Sara's outfit seems to be a tribute to Agnetha's from the video for that song. But the earworm for Mick is "Waterloo"--which won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974.

Incredible Member

While the episode turned out to be a big 'dream sequence' Zari could have with a better solution than blow herself up behind a shield so the others could escape. I was expecting her to have Ray shrink the bomb until the explosion is no bigger than a firecracker due to her and Ray shrinking earlier. But I guess she might have forgot if it's been a few dozen 'reboots' since that happened.

Ultimate Member

Or because the 1940's Vixen may have gone home after finding herself pregnant and then just never told anyone who the father was so then of course the water lady wouldn't know...

As for ABBA just watch the movie, The Martian...plenty of it there...

I also wish we could've seen the Legends on their Waterloo mission and to see what plan necessitated those outfits .

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Or because the 1940's Vixen may have gone home after finding herself pregnant and then just never told anyone who the father was so then of course the water lady wouldn't know...

Or Muriel's Wedding. Plenty of ABBA in that one, too.

Retired

I imagine getting the rights to an ABBA song would have blown the budget for the next three seasons. What was the violin piece Zari played at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I love time loop stories and this one exploited all the tropes to good effect--and made sense in the end (although the set up kind of predicted that if you were paying attention).

How come no one ever references Dick Lupoff's story "12:01 PM" from the December 1973 issue of THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION or the 1993 movie of the same name (same year as GROUNDHOG DAY) plus the 1990 short film with Kurtwood Smith (there's your Star Trek connection)--the plot of which resembles the plot of this episode more than GROUNDHOG DAY.
    There was also the 2014 Tom Cruise movie "Edge of Tomorrow", based on the book "All You Need Is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, where the hero uses events from previous loops to finally find a solution.
    The LoT episode was also more like EOT than "Groundhog Day". But I guess less people are as familiar with "12:01 PM" or even "Edge of Tomorrow" than they are with "Groundhog Day".

I would find it very hard to believe that Mari and Kuasa would never know what their grandfather looked like at all...or never knew his name. And Kuasa's mother never would have told her anything about her father (Kuasa's grandfather)? That's too huge of a stretch for me.

Ultimate Member

Then again with time travel it could be easily explained as to why she couldn't tell them, the whole telling them to much about the future could mess everything up...

Then again with time travel it could be easily explained as to why she couldn't tell them, the whole telling them to much about the future could mess everything up...
    But Amaya can go through time-traveling adventures on the Waverider, NOT be in the 1940s where she's supposed to be, potentially have a baby with a man she most likely would NEVER have met at all had she not been traveling through time, can learn that she's got two future granddaughters...can go to Detroit and SEE and WATCH Mari in action as Vixen (secretly, of course)...but she can't ever reveal to those granddaughters who their grandfather is? And in the future she can never reveal to her daughter who her father is/was? Again, I have a hard time believing all of that, even with the time travel angle.

Maybe I'm slow, but I think that if Amaya does not potentially want to mess up the future, then she should stop traveling through time and just go back to the 1940s. Because to me, just her being there on the Waverider and not in her own time period is already changing future things. Her absence from the 1940s is already changing things even if she doesn't realize it.

Plus I don't think Amaya telling Kuasa who her grandfather was when she was a kid would mess anything up because at that point Kuasa already exists, and Amaya and the grandfather had already gotten together and had Kuasa and Mari's mother.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    Gideon should do the intro every week!
    Forget about the intro, we need to see her physically every week. That woman is beautiful!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Well then again given that it's time travel Amaya can go back to the exact time in which she left and not mess anything up...time travel is funny and the laws of it are often messy...like the grandfather paradox...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This show never ceases to surprise when it comes to Heat Wave. Now it turns out Mick is a surprisingly good novelist. Also, I think Zari sporting them is the first time we've seen his goggles in forever.
    "surprisingly good? Did you hear what he wrote? Sounded like a parody of a pulp sci-fi from the 20s. Fan-fic maybe, but "novelist"?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

Ever read VENUS ON THE HALF SHELL by Kilgore Trout? I did when I was young and reading all of Kurt Vonnegut's books--and mistakenly thought that Kilgore Trout was Vonnegut writing under the assumed name of his main character in BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS (if that novel can be said to have a main character). In fact it was written by Philip Jose Farmer [surprisingly this was published originally in THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION a year after Lupoff's 12:01]. I thought of Kilgore Trout and that book, when they were reading passages from Mick's science fiction romance.

The idea that Amaya will have one big problem, when she returns to her home timeline for good, is why they should keep putting off getting her there indefinitely. As long as Amaya doesn't return yet, these questions need not be answered. It can't truthfully be said that it makes no sense, because we don't know what sense it's making--and will never know as long as she stays on the Waverider.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    But Amaya can go through time-traveling adventures on the Waverider, NOT be in the 1940s where she's supposed to be, potentially have a baby with a man she most likely would NEVER have met at all had she not been traveling through time, can learn that she's got two future granddaughters...can go to Detroit and SEE and WATCH Mari in action as Vixen (secretly, of course)...but she can't ever reveal to those granddaughters who their grandfather is? And in the future she can never reveal to her daughter who her father is/was? Again, I have a hard time believing all of that, even with the time travel angle.

Maybe I'm slow, but I think that if Amaya does not potentially want to mess up the future, then she should stop traveling through time and just go back to the 1940s. Because to me, just her being there on the Waverider and not in her own time period is already changing future things. Her absence from the 1940s is already changing things even if she doesn't realize it.

Plus I don't think Amaya telling Kuasa who her grandfather was when she was a kid would mess anything up because at that point Kuasa already exists, and Amaya and the grandfather had already gotten together and had Kuasa and Mari's mother.
    When they return Amaya to her own time they wipe her memory with that device, but don't realize she is pregnant. By the time Nate figures it out it is already one of those events that can't be changed without causing an anomaly. So she never knew who the papa/grandpapa was to tell them.