Page 18 of 277 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I felt sad for Captain Cold. He and Heatwave made a great team.

Damn that was a good episode. Everything felt right and didn't drag, there was a ton of emotional moments, and awesome action.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

It was a wonderful episode.

Great to see an old friend from my university days in Edmonton playing Jon Valor. Jon Valor was the Black Pirate long ago in early DC comics.

And another comic book reference from Prof. Stein--to the Space Ranger. Plus references to Imperiex and Kanjar Ro. And a bucket load of references to STAR TREK and STAR WARS.

So I guess this means now we're never going to get the full Rogues roster together on The Flash, if The Rogues Gang are even still a thing once Cold comes back to Flash .

It was interesting learning the origins of Captain Cold and Heat Wave's partnership/friendship, and exploring the dynamic of Mick always backing up and protecting Snart while Snart always kept Mick in line. Ironic, then, that one of the oldest and strongest friendship at the start of the series ultimately deteriorated so much over the course of the Legends' adventure to the point where Snart had to put Mick down like a rabid dog by the end.

But I guess it just goes to show the differences between Cold and Heat Wave, and how interacting with the team and being on the mission has changed them. Snart, for all his bluster of being a consummate bad guy, has standards and has actually grown attached to the team, to the point where he seems invested in the mission. Mick on the other hand, rejects being a hero and only cares about himself and his partner getting out of this.

So AtomxHawkgirl is going to be a thing. Huh. Kinda works as a weird reference to the Atom/Hawkman friendship in the comics, but you can bet they're going to milk it for drama if the Legends ever come across a past version of Carter .

But at least with all the times Ray's messed up or gotten beat up in the show, it was nice to see him score some victories, both as The Atom and romantically, this episode.

Stein going all hero mode and Ray pretending to be a Star Trek Captain was hilarious .

Couldn't Stein and Jax have just fused into Firestorm to take care of the pirates? I mean, they're actually together for once!

So both Space Ranger and Space Ghost are actual fictional characters in the Arrowverse. Neat.

We also got to see Rip's origins, both as a Time Master and falling in love with his wife, who as it turns out was instrumental in his becoming a Time Master by sacrificing her own chance with the group out of love for him. And love is what has been driving Rip's quest to defeat Savage since the beginning, and why he constantly tortures himself with the memory of his family. He wouldn't be where he is today, as a Time Master and as a person, without them. I kinda doubt it's going to happen, if only for the sake of tragedy, but it would be nice if Rip's efforts did lead to his family's survival. His wife seemed like a really cute, passionate, and fun person.

"Rip Hunter" not being his real name is consistent with the comics, but I wonder if we'll find out his real name and if it has any connection to Booster (like his last name is Carter)?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I guess this means now we're never going to get the full Rogues roster together on The Flash, if The Rogues Gang are even still a thing once Cold comes back to Flash .

It was interesting learning the origins of Captain Cold and Heat Wave's partnership/friendship, and exploring the dynamic of Mick always backing up and protecting Snart while Snart always kept Mick in line. Ironic, then, that one of the oldest and strongest friendship at the start of the series ultimately deteriorated so much over the course of the Legends' adventure to the point where Snart had to put Mick down like a rabid dog by the end.

But I guess it just goes to show the differences between Cold and Heat Wave, and how interacting with the team and being on the mission has changed them. Snart, for all his bluster of being a consummate bad guy, has standards and has actually grown attached to the team, to the point where he seems invested in the mission. Mick on the other hand, rejects being a hero and only cares about himself and his partner getting out of this.

So AtomxHawkgirl is going to be a thing. Huh. Kinda works as a weird reference to the Atom/Hawkman friendship in the comics, but you can bet they're going to milk it for drama if the Legends ever come across a past version of Carter .

But at least with all the times Ray's messed up or gotten beat up in the show, it was nice to see him score some victories, both as The Atom and romantically, this episode.

Stein going all hero mode and Ray pretending to be a Star Trek Captain was hilarious .

Couldn't Stein and Jax have just fused into Firestorm to take care of the pirates? I mean, they're actually together for once!

So both Space Ranger and Space Ghost are actual fictional characters in the Arrowverse. Neat.

We also got to see Rip's origins, both as a Time Master and falling in love with his wife, who as it turns out was instrumental in his becoming a Time Master by sacrificing her own chance with the group out of love for him. And love is what has been driving Rip's quest to defeat Savage since the beginning, and why he constantly tortures himself with the memory of his family. He wouldn't be where he is today, as a Time Master and as a person, without them. I kinda doubt it's going to happen, if only for the sake of tragedy, but it would be nice if Rip's efforts did lead to his family's survival. His wife seemed like a really cute, passionate, and fun person.

"Rip Hunter" not being his real name is consistent with the comics, but I wonder if we'll find out his real name and if it has any connection to Booster (like his last name is Carter)?
    I'll hold off on believing Mick is dead until we see a body.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'll hold off on believing Mick is dead until we see a body.
    I know, I know, especially for a comic book TV show, and I honestly hope that's the case. It would feel like a major waste to have had the Flash crew mention doing an "all Rogues" episode like the old show never got to do, without all of The Rogues and the Cold/Heat Wave dynamic.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I believe Captain Cold put Heatwave into a Cryogentic freeze and will bring him back to "life" either later on LoT or on FLASH.

The Pirate captain was named "John Valor". In the comics "John Valor" was a 1600's Bucanneer called "Black Pirate".

Was the other Time Ship Captain named, "Bonnie Baxter"? I didn't quite hear her full name.
    If it is "Bonnie" then she is from the original Rip's adventres from the 60's. Bonnie was member of Rip's team as was her
    brother "Corky".
    Last edited by signalman112; 03-04-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Incredible Member

I was going to say what Frontier said about Stein and Jax- did they forget they were Firestorm in this episode? If they'd just fused I think they would have cleaned house pretty quickly.

The whole time Mick was double-crossing the team I thought surely he had something up his sleeve and was really fooling the pirates. Nope, turned out he actually was being a total traitor. He never really fit in with the team, and though I agree that Snart might have just put him on ice for a while instead of killing him it just didn't seem sustainable for him to remain a team member long term.

Earlier in the thread I was remarking bout how Snart never lost his cool no matter how bad things got and how I'd like to see him truly rattled some time. This was as close to that as we've seen and it was compelling to see it.

One more thing- how in the world was the ATOM suit able to operate in the vacuum of space? The face mask does not look like it totally encases Ray.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

A good bottle episode. I doubt Heat Wave is dead. Johns is too much of a Rouges fan to allow serious harm come to any of them. Unless they are Owen Mercer.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-04-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    A good bottle episode. I doubt Heat Wave is dead.
    It seems like the really interesting question is not "Is he dead?". It's more like "Is he alive in the timeline prior to Rip recruiting the team?".

Retired

My question is: Does Snart leave the frozen Rory in the time period where he flash-froze him? Or does he take him aboard the Wave-Rider and they keep him on ice there?

I thought this episode showed a more logical level of writing than what we see on THE FLASH and ARROW. Rip Hunter's comment about the brig not being suited to holding prisoners for the long haul reminded me of all the metahumans being held at STAR Labs or on the island. Good to see LoT isn't going in that direction.

The subplot with Rip and his would-be wife wasn't the tortured romantic antics on those other shows. And while the flashback (or flash forward--given it was in the future) might just seem like filler, I wonder if we might need this information for later. I'm sure the team will be running into Rip's wife in the future--why else invest so much time in setting up her character?

Retired

Also the reveal that "Rip Hunter" is not the real name of Arthur Darvill's character introduces the possibility that he's not really from London and his stiff upper lip accent is a fake. Maybe he's from Birmingham in the Midlands and he had a Brummie accent before he created his Rip Hunter persona. I'd like to hear Darvill sound like a proper geezer instead of the twit he pretends to be.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Also the reveal that "Rip Hunter" is not the real name of Arthur Darvill's character introduces the possibility that he's not really from London and his stiff upper lip accent is a fake. Maybe he's from Birmingham in the Midlands and he had a Brummie accent before he created his Rip Hunter persona. I'd like to hear Darvill sound like a proper geezer instead of the twit he pretends to be.
    Regarding Darvill, it's a credit to his acting how different Rory Williams and Rip Hunter are as characters, despite the time-travel aspect of both shows. IOW, I can't imagine Rip in the Rory role or visa versa.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Given how poorly the show started off--the first 3 episodes were pretty much inert, weighted down with exposition and action with little story or character development--it's been quite a surprise how solid it's been since then, pretty much a sustained run of good episodes with nice character work. Jax, however, remains the major weak point. His character is pretty much a cipher, still, a result of being the only character who wasn't developed over multiple episodes in the source shows (Arrow and Flash). We have no idea who he is aside from being half of Firestorm, and LoT doesn't seem particularly keen on filling in those blanks.

If you people havent caught up by now.... the last episodes there are going to be just a couple of people left.
    Everyone will slowly be killed off the show.

And maybe...... just maybe! They will all come back at the very end! To reform the team.