Page 2 of 277 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Oddly enough I liked it though I'm guessing that most of this episode was trying to get them all together and show people who might not know who they all are, basically the next episodes will get better...

1975...hmm...I hadn't even been conceived yet...or my older brother, we didn't come along until 1977 and 1979, even my older sister was 2...

And it was funny how they avoided making any Time Lord Doctor Who comments or names or whatever given the Rip actor's past as Rory...

Retired

I like the Hawks better here than in their previous outing, but I think the instant wings are a mistake (not only that but they seemed to get into their costumes very quick). While it saves time, the cool thing about the Hawks in the comics were those scenes where they suited up and chose their weapons from the armoury. I want to see them putting on their wing harnesses and head dress and inspecting a wall full of weapons from the past. That's really their thing.

All I could think about during the episode was Martin selfishly drugging Jax because he's an old man who might die one day. I know that's supposed to make him somewhat sympathetic, but he's officially replaced Hawkman as my least favorite character, even if I never really liked him, anyway.

That stuff aside, I didn't realize how much I missed Sara. I love how she said that douchebag's girlfriend was more her speed, and her chemistry with Cold and Heatwave.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Mighty Member

I liked that reveal of the real reason why Rip Hunter chose everyone for the Vandal Savage mission

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I liked that reveal of the real reason why Rip Hunter chose everyone for the Vandal Savage mission
    Same here. It made much more sense than the initial spiel he gave them at the beginning.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Not bad, not great. Some of the action was a bit iffy (with the exception of the barfight) and a lot of dialogue was veeeery bad.

Having not watched Arrow (or Flash or whatever they debuted in), this was my first encounter with the Hawks. I was already dubious that the show had turned one of it's only two female characters into one of pair (romantic or otherwise), and the presence of Hawkman definitely takes away Kendra's unique place on the team). And based on this episode, I really have no idea why the creators felt the need to bring Hawkman in anyway cos that dude is dull.

On the plus side, Darvill was great and any Caity Lotz is good Caity Lotz, even if the overstuffed cast is inevitably gonna keep her screentime to a minimum throughout the series. Still, fingers crossed a couple of characters will get bumped off. Starting with Hawkman (for good this time).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like the Hawks better here than in their previous outing, but I think the instant wings are a mistake (not only that but they seemed to get into their costumes very quick). While it saves time, the cool thing about the Hawks in the comics were those scenes where they suited up and chose their weapons from the armoury. I want to see them putting on their wing harnesses and head dress and inspecting a wall full of weapons from the past. That's really their thing.
    It seems like in this version their wings are an organic part of their bodies.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Same here. It made much more sense than the initial spiel he gave them at the beginning.
    Yeah, it was a funny and poignant bit (when seen through the Atom's eyes). And it was a genuine shock given how heavily they promoted that, "Not heroes: legends" line over and over in the promos.

I look forward to seeing the team argue over what they can and can't change. I can see half the team not giving a damn whether Rip's timeline stays intact, and Heatwave might not even care about his own.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It seems like in this version their wings are an organic part of their bodies.
    Yes. Of course, if they wanted to bring Thanagar into it, then it could be some kind of Nth particles that grafted onto their bodies and binded with their DNA. That could also be the quasi-science explanation for them always coming back in the same bodies.

But I still like my Hawks to wear some sort of harness. Hawkman and Hawkgirl have that whole fetish thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, it was a funny and poignant bit (when seen through the Atom's eyes). And it was a genuine shock given how heavily they promoted that, "Not heroes: legends" line over and over in the promos.
    I read in one of the blurbs that Arthur Darvill was channeling Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN. I love THE MUSIC MAN and have lost count of how many times I've watched it on the tube, but I totally missed that note in Darvill's performance. I just thought he was over-acting in the first part where he gives those pregnant pauses--you could almost hear Barney Stinson saying "Legend--wait for it--dary." But if Darvill was going for Robert Preston then he undersold it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I read in one of the blurbs that Arthur Darvill was channeling Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN. I love THE MUSIC MAN and have lost count of how many times I've watched it on the tube, but I totally missed that note in Darvill's performance. I just thought he was over-acting in the first part where he gives those pregnant pauses--you could almost hear Barney Stinson saying "Legend--wait for it--dary." But if Darvill was going for Robert Preston then he undersold it.
    Probably the right move on his part. If Darvill started doing his version of "Ya Got Trouble," it would have been too much.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

That was pretty sweet! A lot of exposition and character introductions at first, but the time travel shenanigans are fun and I'm looking forward to more of them. I like the various character dynamics, and it's sort of a nice break from Hero + Support Staff like Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl. I loved Ray trying to impress Stein and Stein not even remembering him from class and the Hawks have an interesting way of settling arguments, but I'm looking forward to seeing more cast interaction. Will Heatwave goad Firestorm to go hotter than he's ever been before? Will Ray and Carter form the legendary friendship they have in the comics?

I liked Rip's revelation at the end, it really did serve to create the tone of the show, these are a group of people history has cast off that have a chance to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Also I wonder if they will address why Merlyn brought back Savage (at least I assume so after what happened on Arrow).
    Hopefully. It seems odd they didn't seem to pick up half the characters from where we last saw them, like Ray and Snart. And Sara was randomly in Tibet only to wind up back in Star City fairly quickly. Also, it seems some of the early footage wasn't intended to be part of the pilot at all (or maybe it was but changed a bit as the show evolved?).

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    And I really like the idea of Sara chilling with the Rogues. Hell, even if it'd be a swerve, I like the idea of Sara BECOMING a Rogue right now. Especially if she gets led into it by this adventure (Rip using her as nothing more than an assassin, Rogues bonding with her, etc.)
    I could see that, to an extent. Maybe she's not fully evil but something about acting Rogue-like helps her through her time as an assassin who just came back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    And it was funny how they avoided making any Time Lord Doctor Who comments or names or whatever given the Rip actor's past as Rory...
    Those Time Masters are kind of like Time Lords, though. I thought they made too many Star Wars references, actually. Is Chronos Darth Vader or is he Boba Fett?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael666 View Post
    My main flaw I see is that they know when Vandal was struck by the meteor and gained his powers, so they could just go back to ancient Egypt and kill Vandal then. They could kill him immediately after being hit by the meteor when he's at his weakest before he powered up by killing the Hawk's a couple hundred times. Plus that way the Hawk's still have their "immortality". Not only that, the staff they "needed" to kill him (a plotline that you can tell won't come back up) would be right there to use on him. That is going to bother me this entire series and I hope they mention some reasoning as to why they don't do this, like maybe the Egyptian Hawk's seeing their future selves would cause a butterfly effect or something.
    Thank You! This is exactly what I've been saying! They have a freaking time machine, this should be over in no time!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Can't say I was really into this first episode.

Will try a few more (like I did with Arrow) and see if it clicks. Loved the Flash instantly, whereas Arrow was very "meh" at first, and an eventual "no".

Incredible Member

Wouldn't mind seeing Hawkman Go. In the comics rip travels around with Booster Gold and Blue Beetle,(not reyes) Wouldn't mind seeing them show up.

Retired

It kind of limits the series if everything hinges on changing the Vandal Savage timeline. Maybe after this story line runs its course, Rip will find that having changed the future he's created some new crisis that needs to be resolved.