Page 28 of 277 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Retired

Maybe Rip is a procrastinator like Hamlet.

Look at all the things Hamlet does while putting off the inevitable. He writes and directs a play, he watches a general go off to war, he escapes his abduction to England and conspires to have Rosencrantz and Gildenstern killed there, he digs through bodies in a graveyard, he yells at his mother and kills Polonius, he drives his girlfriend mad to the point where she kills herself. If Hamlet had just killed the king, he would have never created all this other drama.

Rip might know what he is destined to do to ultimately destroy Vandal Savage, but in putting off that final act he's getting a lot of other things done.

Amazing Member

Didn't Rip recruit these particular people because they were inconsequential in history? How about Palmer being instrumental to Savage's rise. Makes no sense... (Yes, I'm typing this as I watch the episode, so maybe there's some twist coming my way).

I am starting to wonder if Vandal Savage is the head time master...
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Is it me or was Falk Hentschel at his best in last night's episode? He seems to do much better as an actor when he's not in tough-guy mode for some reason.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

It was good to see Hawkman again. I gather that Falk Hentschel isn't just sitting at Starbuck's waiting for his phone to vibrate to get the call for more work--he must have some kind of contract. So maybe he will be making a surprising return to the team-- a la Rory.

I don't understand why Kendra has to die for Carter to return, but if that's what it takes . . . Clara Renee looks better in all the other wigs than the one with the streaky hair. And if she reincarnates as a new woman all over again, what will that do to her relationship with Ray?

Time to cue "Torn Between Two Lovers."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Clara Renee looks better in all the other wigs than the one with the streaky hair.
    I didn't care for last night's wig at all. If I had to pick her best look, it probably would be '50s Kendra, but her usual streaky hairstyle would be a close second. Of course, she's so pretty, she's never going to look bad in whatever hairdo she has.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Didn't they say that Rip Hunter was not his birth name just to prevent another time traveler from killing him?

Also, it's now been established that Savage first met Rip in the 1970s, so is it even possible for them to meet at an earlier time? Timey whiny!

I like the team, but time travel is too complicated for a show like this. Get rid of Rip and go back to 2016. Not sure what they'd do about Captain Cold and Heatwave being wanted criminals. But it would be a lot more interesting.
    It was actually established that they first met in ancient Egypt, when Rip went back, solo, to try and kill Savage (presumably before he became immortal). It was after that that he decided to form the team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Snart doesn't have the strict no-kill code that Captain Cold has in the comics, and is generally kind of a scumbag, but you'd think he'd draw the line at killing a kid. That seems too over the line even for him.
    I think Snart's rules on killing revolve more around "why" than "who." Rory kills because he gets off on violence and pain, but Snart considers himself a professional. Unnecessary killing is messy and leads to potential complications in the plan, but if killing is unavoidable or required to get the job done, he'll do it without flinching or remorse, regardless of who the target is. In this case, killing the kid was the most direct, logical way to get the job done, so he had no problem with it.

Y'know, for a story about anti-heroes, this show has had the most traditionally superheroic message of them all. It's miles more traditionally heroic than Arrow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Y'know, for a story about anti-heroes, this show has had the most traditionally superheroic message of them all. It's miles more traditionally heroic than Arrow.

Well Arrow has changed dramatically starting in season 3. It is much more a teen romance type show than an action one much less a super hero one. I mean you don't need a hero just a special blonde snowflake with a lamp(to take out a robot bee construct)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Arrow wasn't designed to be "traditionally heroic." In season one, when he returned to Starling City to take out the names one his dad's list, Ollie was essentially an assassin, not a hero. I think many of the show's problems the last couple of seasons can be traced by the too sharp turn from the very dark (and, IMO, more interesting) tone that they started out with towards the too light tone they veered towards, in part so it would make a more suitable "sister show" to Flash. Conversely, though, I think the producers learned a lesson with Arrow that they applied well to Flash--it's easier to start light and go darker than it is to start dark and try to add light (kind of like painting).

The question of whether or not to kill a child who grows up to be dangerous is a good dilemma for time travelers. It was a relief Rip couldn't go through with it, but also kind of creepy how Per Degaton stared him down like that. A true protege of Vandal Savage. I also liked the commentary on how conglomerates have taken over the government and Jax saying that basically happened in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agree on most everything. No offense meant to Jewel, but what was remarkable about her appearance, exactly?
    That's what I was trying to figure out. Was her character even from the comics?

Though he was apparently dating someone before he left? So much for keeping his return from the dead a secret.
    Yeah, what was up with that? For a second, I thought he was talking about Felicity, but that wouldn't be possible. I wasn't sold on that whole plot or its resolution, although I did enjoy Kendra's side of the story.

I found it interesting that they kept comparing Degaton to Hitler given he's traditionally a Justice Society villain, and even as a child he's already well-on his way to becoming the cruel, power-hungry, Supervillain he is in the comics and that he's known as in Rip's future. I wasn't expecting the show to actually turn or kill off a major (at least historically) DC Supervillain like that. I wonder if we'll ever get to see adult Per Degaton?
    I'd like that, although with the time table of the virus moved up so quickly, that probably means Vandal Savage just kills him all the quicker. Maybe they'd have to stop Savage and save Per Degaton first only for him to become a threat in a future season.

BANNED

I just watched Episode 11, and it was amazing. Probably the best episode of the entire damn series. I actually think people will look back at this as one of the best episodes from the Arrowverse.

I won't spoil anything but here's my little review: Jonah Hex was absolutely amazing, I couldn't have asked for a better portrayal. His bromance with Rip Hunter was really touching and meaningful, their scenes together are some of the best of the episode.

I really liked how this episode delved into Kendra's backstory without giving us a stupid unnecessary flashback. This was actually really good, I was legitimately interested in Kendra's arc. She has a scene with Sara that is really heartfelt and genuine.

This episode was amazing because it had every character stepping up to do their thing. Every single character has their moment to shine (most notably Ray, Stein, Rip, and guest star Jonah) , and it's just wonderful. That's what you need in a team show. Don't shove characters to the side to prop up other characters. If you have Kendra, make her Hawk out. If you have Jax and Stein together, have them merge and blast people. We get all of that in this episode and more. Real teamwork, no stupid "moral dilemmas" that we have to deal with in every episode. Just the usual emotional conversation and the "you're messing with the timeline" speech. Awesome.

The one thing that caught me way off guard is the senseless murder. Four different members of the team who are not Sara straight up kill people in this episode with no remorse or anything. No second thoughts, no consideration, just boom, murder. It was so weird. You can't just kill people in the past like that. And the people who do it are people I wouldn't expect to do it at all.

Other than that this was Legends of Tomorrow's greatest episode ever. The next episode sounds like it's going to be really good too. I'm so excited for these last five episodes.
    Last edited by Elmo; 04-13-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Mighty Member

I wonder if Stein ever told Rip that kid he saved was HG Wells?

This episode of Legends was so much fun to watch, it's definitely one of my personal favorites. Episodes like these are pretty much perfect with what the show is limited to work with. Everyone had a moment, the acting was great, the action was great, etc.

The showdown was awesome and so was the fight against the Time Master posse. Ray brutally killed that one guy by flying through him, damn that's messed.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics