Page 3 of 277 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Didn't Rip say something like the further back in time you go the worst it is on your body? Could be that the human body can't survive a trip going back that far.
    Another reason would be there's no way to know how much Savage has influenced human history and there could be major changes if he suddenly disappeared from history. Operating from the shadows he could have suggested the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (which led to WWI), whispered into Emperor Hirohito ear to bomb Pearl Harbor (prompting the US to enter WWII), or gave Lee Harvey Oswald to kill JFK.

He also could have encouraged Leonardo Da Vinci to pursue an art career, steered Edward Jenner toward a small pox vaccine or secretly back Alexander Graham Bell in his telephone invention. Erasing Savage could cause none of these events to happen completely changing the course of history. It could even most of the heroes to not exist at all. Savage must survive past 2016 (on up to Hunter's recent past) at least to insure history remains relatively unchanged. The most the team could do is 'pull the teeth' on his world dominating plans in hopes of weakening his power for a future conquest.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Another reason would be there's no way to know how much Savage has influenced human history and there could be major changes if he suddenly disappeared from history. Operating from the shadows he could have suggested the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand (which led to WWI), whispered into Emperor Hirohito ear to bomb Pearl Harbor (prompting the US to enter WWII), or gave Lee Harvey Oswald to kill JFK.

He also could have encouraged Leonardo Da Vinci to pursue an art career, steered Edward Jenner toward a small pox vaccine or secretly back Alexander Graham Bell in his telephone invention. Erasing Savage could cause none of these events to happen completely changing the course of history. It could even most of the heroes to not exist at all. Savage must survive past 2016 (on up to Hunter's recent past) at least to insure history remains relatively unchanged. The most the team could do is 'pull the teeth' on his world dominating plans in hopes of weakening his power for a future conquest.
    That right there is the best explanation of why the trivial path of going back to the point where he was created/weaker is not tenable. An immortal that has walked the earth and directly influenced events throughout the ages is the mother of all butterflies, to remove him is to essentially reset huge swaths of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post

This explanation for the Legends not erasing Savage from history is so well thought out that I'll be kind of disappointed if (when?) the TV writers won't think to include it in the actual show.

About the bolded point though, it should actually be "messed around with Meucci's caveat in the patent office so that Bell could get all the glory". Way more villainous.

Double post
    Last edited by Powertool; 01-24-2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Double post

BANNED

Something else occurred to me about the episode that I didn't really think of while watching.

In addition to his reprehensible act of drugging and kidnapping Jax into going on the mission against his expressed wishes, there was no indication of Stein talking to his wife before deciding to go traipsing off through time. She wasn't even mentioned. You'd think she'd rate at least a name drop, if not an onscreen conversation.

I thought Hawkman remembered his past? Wouldn't he know where Savage was all those times he killed them?

Cold and Heat Wave are the best thing on this show , so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought Hawkman remembered his past? Wouldn't he know where Savage was all those times he killed them?
    I'm assuming it's not as simple as them just showing up somewhere where Savage is/was and shivving him. In order to preserve the integrity of the timeline, there likely are certain "environmental conditions? that have to exist at the point at which Savage is eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Cold and Heat Wave are the best thing on this show , so far.
    To me, they're both just chewing the scenery with how "villainous" they act. They might as well be twirling their mustaches, imo. But then the show itself is prone to bad melodrama. I hope they can find a more measured tone as things progress.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I watched this on a whim and found it fun. The Cap Cold guy needs to tone it down a bit through, finishing every line with that 1920s gangster sigh is already played out and I've only ever seen him in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I watched this on a whim and found it fun. The Cap Cold guy needs to tone it down a bit through, finishing every line with that 1920s gangster sigh is already played out and I've only ever seen him in this.

Yeah. It's almost painful. He's like that on Flash, too. It got old really fast.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It could be that Carter isn't entirely truthful to Kendra about about his past lives memories. While his memories of Chay-Ara are strong (being a constant in all his lives) details of their other past lives might be a little bit fuzzy (unless he has an eidetic memory). Take for example the Dr. Boardman. For someone who's supposed to know all about his past lives Kendra showed more concern for their 'son' then Carter. If Carter did remember Boardman as his son wouldn't he have asked him about what kind of man his son had become? Who raised him after they were gone? Why did he become a teacher?

Outside of Chay-Ara (and possibly any language or motor skill) maybe he only knows their general history and a few past life memories picking up the rest as a new smell, sound or location triggers a memory. And some of those memories are probably boring. Not every life could be the son of wealthy merchant or a Raja and his consort. Who wants to remember being sewage worker in ancient Rome or an Albanian goat herder? And who would want to keep track of all those elementary school teachers and what school and city they were at that they must have taken?

The show hasn't set down how long Carter has had his past life memories. A year, 5, since birth? I can just imagine his parents when he was a baby waiting to hear his first word like 'mama' or 'poo' and instead he says (in a baby voice of course), 'I am Prince Katar of Egypt and I am looking for my beloved Chay-Ara.' And then he starts wearing his diaper on his head like a Egyptian headress.

If I was Carter or Kendra after being killed the 3rd or 4th time by Savage I'd start keeping a secret cache of money and weapons to grab in the next life (if I happen to be reincarnated nearby) to get a jump start in the new life. Would suck a bit to start completely over every time.

Wonder if Kendra will ask Carter if they've had other children next episode?

Ultimate Member

Well if memory serves they don't just automatically remember everything when they come back, so even if they did stockpile weapons and such the weapons could be old and useless by the time that their memories came back and such, and Carter could remember a lot of things but not everything in great detail...he could see it as remembering the important things...like her...

BANNED

Stein dead wrong for knocking out Jackson

so the old white man has to knock out the black kid to get him to agree?

Retired

My memory might be off, but I think it was said that Carter doesn't remember everything. He remembers more than Kendra, but he doesn't know all the details of his past lives.

I guess Heat and Cold is an acquired taste. I love what they're doing. Clearly the scenery chewing is intentional--that's why it's entertaining. It's that contrast between them and the rest of the group that's so fun to play with. Seeing them enlist Sara as a partner in their misdemeanours was great to watch.

As long as they don't go around killing people, I can enjoy them as old school rogues. If they toned it down and acted like all the other stiffs on this show, then the series would be really boring. Hopefully, Brandon Routh will be given more funny things to do--because I think he has a lot of comedy skills when allowed to use them.