Default Frank Miller's Daredevil

I am about to start reading the Frank Miller DD run and I was wondering if there are any key issues I need to check out before I start the Miller written issues or if they are mostly self contained. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I am about to start reading the Frank Miller DD run and I was wondering if there are any key issues I need to check out before I start the Miller written issues or if they are mostly self contained. Thanks in advance.
    Self contained.

Wonderful run, story excellent, artwork exceptional. I think it has probably the best super hero artwork I've ever come across.

The artwork makes the story wonderfully clear. The way that Daredevil's powers are portrayed, and the way you get a deep sense of how he moves in fights, etc are unequalled in my experience.

Great! Thank you for the info, I will start on them tonight then, I have heard that these are excellent but I had always avoided them since I never really found Daredevil appealing until I read the Mark Waid Daredevil. Thanks again for the information.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I don't think there's another superhero with more great runs tied to his myth. Try Bendis after Miller and Brubaker after Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I don't think there's another superhero with more great runs tied to his myth. Try Bendis after Miller and Brubaker after Bendis.
    Daredevil has gotten really freaking lucky in regards to writers that take him on

Miller, prime Bendis, Brubaker, Waid

lucky SOB lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Miller's run is great. What I like best about it, is that it has none of what would become Miller's tropes we associate with Miller's writing after he did Batman or Sin City. This until Daredevil #191. That is when Miller slips into his Sin City style of writing.

I've been meaning to check out Bendis' and Waid's run on DD. Waid I can find, but the trades for Bendis are so frakking expensive! Brubaker and Mack are other DD writers I need to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Great! Thank you for the info, I will start on them tonight then, I have heard that these are excellent but I had always avoided them since I never really found Daredevil appealing until I read the Mark Waid Daredevil. Thanks again for the information.
    Let us know how it goes, will be really interested in hearing how it compares for you with the Waid run, because I've never read any Daredevil since end of Ed Brubaker's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Miller's run is great. What I like best about it, is that it has none of what would become Miller's tropes we associate with Miller's writing after he did Batman or Sin City. This until Daredevil #191. That is when Miller slips into his Sin City style of writing.

I've been meaning to check out Bendis' and Waid's run on DD. Waid I can find, but the trades for Bendis are so frakking expensive! Brubaker and Mack are other DD writers I need to check out.
    The only three runs I've read are the Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker ones. As I "said" earlier rate Miller run very highly...for me one of best super hero runs ever, never mind best Daredevil run.

Really enjoyed the Bendis run, and expected to enjoy the Brubaker run even more. And thought Brubaker's first arc "The Devil in block H" (think title was something like that) was really, really good. But my own view is that Bru run gradually ran out of steam, and overall it wasn't as good as Bendis run. As always other people have opposite opinion.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The only three runs I've read are the Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker ones. As I "said" earlier rate Miller run very highly...for me one of best super hero runs ever, never mind best Daredevil run.

Really enjoyed the Bendis run, and expected to enjoy the Brubaker run even more. And thought Brubaker's first arc "The Devil in block H" (think title was something like that) was really, really good. But my own view is that Bru run gradually ran out of steam, and overall it wasn't as good as Bendis run. As always other people have opposite opinion.
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try to collect Bendis' run then.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If you like Brubaker on DD... his Catwoman is equally good, maybe better, his Immortal Iron Fist with Matt Fraction is utterly fantastic and Brubaker did really well over on Batman and Gotham Central, too. And yeah Cap. Brubaker is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Let us know how it goes, will be really interested in hearing how it compares for you with the Waid run, because I've never read any Daredevil since end of Ed Brubaker's run.
    So far I have read the first 4 issues that Miller wrote and I have to say I like it so far. It seems a little odd, when you think about it, that Daredevils most well known villain, being Kingpin, wasn't even a DD villain for so long into the series. I loved how seamlessly Kingpin turned from Wilson Fisk back into the Kingpin of Crime once Vanessa was presumed dead but you never once question his love for his wife.

My only real complaint was how ineffectual Bullseye seemed to be but I chalk that up to him getting back to normal from brain surgery but even that was a minor complaint.

A very enjoyable start, I look forward to getting farther into his run.