Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default WHAT is up with Bendis and his Icon books?

So this has bugging me for a looong time. Bendis's creator-owned Powers gets delayed on a regular basis but at least it has been coming out relatively consistently compared to his other Icon stuff.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then here are some examples of the original solicits compared to the actual release months.

Brilliant #5 February 2012 -> March 2014
    Brilliant #6 May 2012 -> TBD
    Brilliant #7 August 2012 -> TBD

Scarlet #6 June 2011 -> March 2013
    Scarlet #7 January 2012 -> July 2013
    Scarlet #8 May 2013 -> TBD
    Scarlet #9 July 2013 -> TBD

The United States of Murder Inc. Annual #1 May 2015 -> TBD (Ok, so this might be one of those normal delays for Bendis)

I've been waiting on Scarlet and Brilliant for literally years now and I just want to know what's up with those books. Has Bendis decided to stop writing them because of low sales? Are the artists too busy? What.Is. Happening? It's just that it feels very disrespectful to your readers. Especially when we are talking about such a popular writer who, in theory, should be able to get his books published on time. It's not like Nate Simpson (Nonplayer) who has only a limited amount of time to work on his comic and who also has to draw all of it himself. Just wish there was more transparency on Bendis's part when it comes to his books and the delays.

/End rant.

Incredible Member

I totally forgot Scarlet and Brilliant even existed. Are there even any Icon books still coming out? I'd wager it's probably disinterest from both Bendis and the artists. It's not like Maleev and Bagley are inactive. Shoot, Bagley is working with Bendis right now on Ultimate End.

Incredible Member

If it is disinterest on their part then I'd like for them to own up to it and tell us the books are over. It's weird that Bendis and Maleev haven't jumped on Scarlet again though. The book is now more culturally relevant than it was when it debuted (all the recorded murders by cops that have been in the news).

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Are there even any Icon books still coming out?
    The United States of Murder Inc.
    I'd wager it's probably disinterest from both Bendis and the artists. It's not like Maleev and Bagley are inactive. Shoot, Bagley is working with Bendis right now on Ultimate End.
    And Maleev's been working on B.P.R.D.
    BB

There are always stuff like illness, accidents, etc. that take up some time, and which consumers only hear about in passing.

And from what I understand, a book from Marvel/DC pays your bills; creator-owned or small publisher books... don't. So if a writer or artist has books at both the Big Two and other publishers, it's the Big Two books that have priority. Simple economics. Without the big stuff, the little stuff wouldn't exist at all.

The big two books would have priority because they'd be contracted work, stuff that has to be done. Any time free after that can be devoted to creator owned work. And as Bendis has a lot of Marvel books on the go at any given time (plus being involved in the summits & such) I guess his free time is pretty limited.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    The United States of Murder Inc.
    I thought that was over? Isn't the annual all that's left?

Bendis wrote in one of his Icon books, Scarlet I think, that he got a kid that they hadn't planned/expected.

He has been doing this for years and years – it's one of the reasons why I ultimately gave up on Powers. I think, in addition to (possibly) the personal reasons mentioned above, it's simply because they don't bring in the big bucks.

Maleev has been dealing with some big personal issues and he has not had time to draw more Scarlet issues. He's a very slow artist, so he has been focused on mainstream comics. As Awwwvenger points out, Marvel does not give advance payments if you publish through Icon. Thus Maleev had to drop Scarlet in order to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    He has been doing this for years and years – it's one of the reasons why I ultimately gave up on Powers. I think, in addition to (possibly) the personal reasons mentioned above, it's simply because they don't bring in the big bucks.
    They bring money, but Icon works like a self-publishing agency. You don't get any advance payments or promotion; they just print your comics and ship it to comic stores. You only receive the money after the comic is finally in stores. That means the creative team has to work on other things or save a lot of money when they are working on the first issues. And that's the problem with Icon: they don't support you to get the issues on time. Mark Millar has been very successful with his Icon books, but he can also tell you how hard it is to launch a series through Icon.

Empty is thy hand!

Neither he nor John Michael Straczynski are professionals, and clearly aren't concerned with how/IF their work is received. The real blame belongs to the publishing houses who allow them to get away with it, while they make money off the writer's brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Neither he nor John Michael Straczynski are professionals, and clearly aren't concerned with how/IF their work is received. The real blame belongs to the publishing houses who allow them to get away with it, while they make money off the writer's brand name.
    I'd rather the guy takes care of his baby than write a comic on time. Maybe that's just me...

Incredible Member

My understanding is that United States of Murder will be ongoing, but will be trading arcs with Powers. I hope, I love United States!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    My understanding is that United States of Murder will be ongoing, but will be trading arcs with Powers. I hope, I love United States!

Any word on United States of Murder, Inc? The Annual was announced last year and continues being pushed back. PreviewsWorld currently has it releasing on March 9, but I'm sure it will be pushed back again.