Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Can Civil War 2 be a bit more balance than the previous Civil War event in showing the two sides ?

Despite the success of the event and the splitting of the fan base over it, can anyone say that Civil War was a bit unbalance in a way to showcasing the two sides ?

I mean any fan was rooting for Captain America to win and even the writers were doing the same thing and had a difficult time making Iron Man's side sympathetic. I mean to this day, even I have a hard time seeing Iron Man in a favorable light given his actions of Civil War.

As Fans of Marvel comics I ask you this: Can Marvel find a way to make both sides look balance and not have the sequel to Civil War seem like a one-sided event ?

Considering that this is Bendis writing this, and his portrayal of Gold team when he was writing X-Men, I wouldn't hold my breath. More than likely, he'll write whoever it is that he favors (most likely whichever side Tony is on) as the one's who are right while writing the other side in a negative light writing them as either incompetent or the ones who aren't doing anything to help whatever the problem is.

I was actually rooting for Iron Man even though both him and Cap were badly written. In this kind of conflict there is always going to be the ¨favorite side¨, I don´t think it´s a good idea to have Civil War 2 they clearly want to cash in on the movie but at what cost? It can go either way and those characters they so hard tried to push have the risk of having negative characterizations, they really should not divide the fans right now. It will still sell though and that is frustrating.

Mighty Member

I just re-read Civil War this morning, and while I admit that Iron Man's actions were kind of extreme, IMO people have blown things a little out of proportion.

Sure he was kind of a jerk, but they had to portray him that way because Registration totally makes sense, and if everyone acted normal, everyone would be pro registration.

Well, given that he wrote AvX, this event is going to end with everyone looking like a bunch of #%&/&%&%, and people discussing which side was less of one.

I think it surely will. I mean, it's not like that was hard at all since the first one was COMPLETELY partial. I don't think Marvel wants do create a bad image for Carol and of course, Tony was damaged enough in the original CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I just re-read Civil War this morning, and while I admit that Iron Man's actions were kind of extreme, IMO people have blown things a little out of proportion.

Sure he was kind of a jerk, but they had to portray him that way because Registration totally makes sense, and if everyone acted normal, everyone would be pro registration.
    It was the tie-ins that portrayed the pro-Registration side as working for villainy. The Stamford Incident was caused by an executive of Damage Control slipping MGH to Nitro. Civil War: Front Line wasn't exactly flattering to Tony Stark either.

Keep in mind around this time Marvel was asserting that the Bruce Banner Hulk had killed no innocent civilians during any of his rampages, so what seems obvious about how the heroes can control their powers is not necessarily so.

Well, I don't have any faith this will turn out good. I think Marvel should go back to the good guys actually fighting bad guys instead of each other.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Marvel doesn't really care if it turns out good or not because it will sell well regardless of that.

My biggest thing about registration was always that the story had to have us ignore that the Marvel US government, when not portrayed as Evil and Corrupt, had always been portrayed as incompetent and easily infiltrated by evil. As if to prove my point they then handed Norman Osborne an insane amount of power.

Hopefully the new Civil War doesn't require the same kind of amnesia medicine.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

That's just a by product of these event story arcs. After the first Civil War the government handed Stark an insane amount of power.Then Stark fell from grace after Secret Invasion and that insane amount of power went to Osborne.After Siege, Osborne was discredited and the government handed his insane amount of power to the previously disgraced Rogers.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    My biggest thing about registration was always that the story had to have us ignore that the Marvel US government, when not portrayed as Evil and Corrupt, had always been portrayed as incompetent and easily infiltrated by evil. As if to prove my point they then handed Norman Osborne an insane amount of power.

Hopefully the new Civil War doesn't require the same kind of amnesia medicine.
    The second quoted post rebuts the first perfectly. Registration would only make sense in a setting where the government hadn't already proven itself inclined to use registration chiefly as a means of more efficiently exploiting and imprisoning superhuman individuals. When it's not outright evil and corrupt, it's all too easily subverted by those who are evil and corrupt, and allowing such an unreliable and morally bankrupt entity access to the identities and records (and services) of the multitude of superhuman individuals within the nation would only be a catastrophe.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sorry for the double-post.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 01-23-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Double-post, sorry.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You can make an arguement that Stark actually didn't look THAT bad in the main Civil War book (though the Clor thing and the THunderbolts were horrible horrible ideas). In a lot of instances it was the tie-ins which REALLY made him unsympathetic (Amazing Spider-Man in particular).

If this event doesn't end up as big and a million different titles don't jump in I think we'll get a slightly more even end-result. Which isn't to say it'll be completely balanced... but I think it'll at least be more consistant.

Didn't some Marvel editor say that there would be a side that is clearly in the wrong and vice verse?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    Well, I don't have any faith this will turn out good. I think Marvel should go back to the good guys actually fighting bad guys instead of each other.
    But aren't Marvel superheroes fighting Marvel villains for the most part?

Sure a lot of big events are Hero VS Hero i.e. Civil I/II, AvsX, Time Runs out and stuff. But there are a bunch of events that are about hero vs villain, Infinity, Secret Invasion, Secret Wars, Secret Wars (2015), Infinity Gauntlet. And then you get down to monthly titles where the vast majority are Hero Vs. Villain.

Marvel has problems, but the use of Hero vs Hero is down on that list.