Super Moderator

Default "Supergirl" Recap: Politics Not Quite as Usual

Racism, genocide, regrets, revenge, work-life balance, flirting, and the value of click-bait: is there anything "Supergirl" didn't cover tonight?

Full article here.

Loved this episode. Could do without the typical xenophobic politician story that we've seen way too much of this past election season. But I loved that J'onn/Hank got a major role in the story. I think he really shined here in that we got to see what happened to his people. Given how he's not as well-known as Supergirl, I think this was a great way to show who he was to audiences who might not be familiar with him. But the highlight of the show for me was the subplot with Adam. That moment had all the right feels.

I still have mixed feelings about liking Cat Grant. But every time she gets a sub-plot, she reveals something about herself that makes her more complex. Her interactions with her son felt so genuine and emotional. I really enjoyed that moment and I hope Adam sticks around. Pretty sure Kara's hoping the same thing.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I have to say that I really liked the Adam subplot. Mostly because it's personal. I wasn't raised by my mom. She pretty much gave me to my grandparents, because at that point in her life, she couldn't handle being a mother. Being with her would have done more harm. So I was able to understand Cat's point of view. I also felt Adam's pain because that was me. Minus the very monetarily gracious pity checks.

Fantastic Member

Indeed, the optimistic turnaround of Senator Crane was very unfortunate. it was the one part of a fantasy show that really strained credibility. In the real world, Senator Crane would have thanked Kara for rescuing her but then gone on to say that her experience only proved that everything she was saying about aliens was true, and they really were an existential threat to the Earth. That even would have been a somewhat defensible position, given her kidnapping and replacement.

The rest of the show was pretty good - it was good to see Kara and Hank cooperate in taking down the White Martian. I hope Alex doesn't get to play hostage of the week too often.

I was really surprised at how rich and complex the people of Mars were depicted. So many characters so realistically rendered. Bravo to Armen Kevorkian’ and the rest of the team at Encore VXF for their excellent graphics work

I like Supergirl, yet another show that's better than AoS (I keep watching that show hoping for competence though). For being a big shot, at a big company, Jimmy Olsen looked like he was using a budget camera. I don't like that Supergirl will be using, "for the man that has everything".

Spectacular Member

This show is really delivering in my book. Calista Flockhart is doing a fantastic job with Cat Grant's character (one I've never cared for in the comic books). What at first came across as over-acting on her emulation of Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly has slowly become one of the most nuanced character of her career.

Same can be said for Harewood's Hank Henshaw/J'onn J'onnz character. I was fooled at first thinking that Hank Henshaw would end up becoming a Cyborg Superman of sorts and I despised the character. Now with the revelation of who he really is, it was heartbreaking getting into the psyche of the great Martian Manhunter.

As for Adam and his storyline, I find it very telling that the Toyman and Adam appear on the show one after the next. The history between those two in the pre-Flashpoint DC Universe may be foreshadowing a not so pleasant outcome for anyone on this show.

Astonishing Member

Calista Flockhart deserves an Emmy nom for her work on this series. (Yes, I realize it's unlikely)

Adam's too likeable to die.

Amazing Member

I found it… intriguing? interesting? telling? effective, anyway… that the racist/xenophobist stance was from a character of color.