Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would making Wonder Woman 5,000 years old help or hinder the character for the DC Cinematic Universe ?

Given the recent interview about the character, it seems that DC and WB is trying to make Wonder Woman feel like their version of Steve Rogers, but slightly different. However, wouldn't it be a bit extreme trying to make Wonder Woman be old ?

I mean can understand that they're trying to connect her various mythos together, but isn't it all too much at once ?

I mean this is a big task for Warner Bros to pull off, and it doesn't help that they waited this long for it to happen.

Yet shouldn't they be a bit careful with putting too much into the character ?

As Wonder Woman fans: What do you think of this?

it worked fine in the Lynda Carter show. The character was 2500 years old in that show and it didn't seem to be a hindrance. I think it's better than making her 18 to be honest.

I don't think it would hinder her. It reminds me of the TV WW. If the politics of the verse they are creating are femme friendly then it will not be an issue. But if they go INJUSTICE on her it will be a **** show. It all depends on the disposition of the creative team toward the character.

It doesn't really make a difference. Sure she's older than Jesus now but does that matter? We don't even know to what extent the DCEU is aware of her existence post WWI. In the trailer, Batman and Superman may or may not recognize her. The only way her age may be a factor is if DC does indeed decide to make Wonder Woman the very first superhero in the DCEU. I personally would love to see her profile raised a bit similar to the Wonder Woman of the New 52's Earth-2 as the world's first wonder/superhero.

maybe time moves differently on Themyscira. it is kind of in it's own pocket dimension. but Diana has been portrayed as an immortal in a number of different versions.

in an interview Snyder said that Lex is kind of obsessed with meta-humans and it has something to do with Diana. i'm guessing that Lex has done some studying up on this mysterious super powered woman who has shown up throughout history to help mankind in times of great peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    maybe time moves differently on Themyscira. it is kind of in it's own pocket dimension. but Diana has been portrayed as an immortal in a number of different versions.

in an interview Snyder said that Lex is kind of obsessed with meta-humans and it has something to do with Diana. i'm guessing that Lex has done some studying up on this mysterious super powered woman who has shown up throughout history to help mankind in times of great peril.
    If that's the case, I think it's pretty darned awesome
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Incredible Member

I always assumed she was about 2000 years old anyhow.....

I'd like to see stories of Diana on 'errands' in past times.

Assuming Diana doesn't retreat to Paradise Island at the end of WWI, Wonder Woman is probably a legend that developed and evolved from her WWI exploits and she probably was present in all of the world's conflicts continuing through WWII to the present. That would help explain Diana's world weariness about mankind and yet Wonder Woman is still willing to emerge very publicly as seen in the BvS trailers in order to prevent Armageddon.

If they want her to be ancient, I'm cool with that, but five thousand years is an overshot. Three thousand years is perfect, because the Greeks believed Theseus, Herc, Hippolyta et al to have lived in the generation prior to the Trojan War, and it turns out the Greeks dated the Trojan War pretty accurately. That was the way Perez did it, and it's the way most pulp works - you take the legend pretty much at its word and then move on. Five thousand is so unnecessarily ahistorical it makes my head hurt, but hey, whatever, it's comics/comics movies.
    Last edited by Bosch; 01-26-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Spectacular Member

I love it. Make her even triple that amount old. The older she is the more awesome I think.

BANNED

As I said elsewhere, 5000 years is in my mind too old for Diana to be and still retain the hope and optimism regarding Man's World that always sets her apart from her sisters.

I've usually been ok with the idea that she is several hundred years old, maybe close to a thousand, while her sisters were generally 3000 years old. Because it gives her ample time to become the great warrior we know her as, but keeps her far enough away from the traditional Heracles-inflicted trauma her people went through that turned them all jaded.

Regarding her appearance throughout history; actually I have had the idea that it has actually been Hippolyta thats been appearing through out most of history wearing the WW outfit. Reason why she'd do this, I imagine, could be divine commandment that she'd do it or simply because she is the Queen, she has the suit and once in a while she just wants to go on an adventure when things get too boring back home.

BANNED

I think her being THAT old and retaining a modicum of faith in humankind, when I'm only a quarter of a century old and have none whatsoever, speaks to the strength of Wonder Woman's heart. She's not a Disney Fairytale Princess that sees the world through rosy-colored-glasses no matter how much cruelty, how many people she's seen being blown to bits by bombs ...she should be a colorful, forward-looking girl but keep it real, by now she would have realized that humans are all kill or get killed

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Assuming Diana doesn't retreat to Paradise Island at the end of WWI, Wonder Woman is probably a legend that developed and evolved from her WWI exploits and she probably was present in all of the world's conflicts continuing through WWII to the present. That would help explain Diana's world weariness about mankind and yet Wonder Woman is still willing to emerge very publicly as seen in the BvS trailers in order to prevent Armageddon.
    I like this A LOT!!!!

And maybe this information is misunderstood, and the Amazons are 5000 years old, and Diana is younger...200 maybe? Or, 2500 years old...with time moving very differently on PI...maybe 2500 years here is 25 years there.

Or, maybe 5000 years here is 25 years on PI
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I don't understand the 5000 years old logic too. So she been around since the pharoahs and they say she's seen it all? Meaning? Did she just come out with Steve in WW1 and why did she go back? I hope it is some form of exile and she didn't just give up or got too sad because that does run counter to who Diana is and why she came to our world. Was she here for WW2? Be a shame to leave that out because it is very significant to her origin. Also this means we could get a very world weary Diana but a very experienced one...so how does this play into things ike her pov on lethal force and her experineces in war and and yes even her sexuality etc? Because a young Diana taken care of by scores of Amazon Aunts would develop very differently to a Diana who is on PI for 5000 years as an adult trying to convince her fellow Amazons they should be outside which is what I think they mentioned. I do think a Diana who is 5000 years old...ie very wise, experienced...makes her the Obi-Wan, mentor, mother figure...which could be good but limited. She's there to be den mother and correct everyone. One of the problems with WW has always been the fact the character does not get humanized often and is too perfect and lacking relatability ie some flaws. Giving her all the wisdom and experience so soon...yes they could run into playing it too safe because they don't want people to complain too much. So we get more icon on a pedestal than character growth. Hope I am wrong though. Hope it is a pocket universe as someone mentions and we get to see her journey and her grow too.
    Last edited by hellacre; 01-27-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I don't understand the 5000 years old logic too. So she been around since the pharoahs and they say she's seen it all? Meaning? Did she just come out with Steve in WW1 and why did she go back? I hope it is some form of exile and she didn't just give up or got too sad because that does run counter to who Diana is and why she came to our world. Was she here for WW2? Be a shame to leave that out because it is very significant to her origin. Also this means we could get a very world weary Diana but a very experienced one...so how does this play into things ike her pov on lethal force and her experineces in war and and yes even her sexuality etc? Because a young Diana taken care of by scores of Amazon Aunts would develop very differently to a Diana who is on PI for 5000 years as an adult trying to convince her fellow Amazons they should be outside which is what I think they mentioned. I do think a Diana who is 5000 years old...ie very wise, experienced...makes her the Obi-Wan, mentor, mother figure...which could be good but limited. She's there to be den mother and correct everyone. One of the problems with WW has always been the fact the character does not get humanized often and is too perfect and lacking relatability ie some flaws. Giving her all the wisdom and experience so soon...yes they could run into playing it too safe because they don't want people to complain too much. So we get more icon on a pedestal than character growth. Hope I am wrong though. Hope it is a pocket universe as someone mentions and we get to see her journey and her grow too.
    5000 years can have a toll on somebody. Especially one who came into the world naive and hopeful only to see it get worse and worse. Though it will be interesting if she reminds Bruce she's seen worse than him.