Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Except in the case of the MCU, a god, especially a Norse one, is simply an advanced alien that awed a few primitive humans rather than an actual deity. And so far Marvel doesn't seem to be able to decide whenever they should tread the path of mythology or go by Kirby and walk the path of technology.
    Outside sooooooooooooooooooo has a point here. The THOR: THE LEGEND SPECIAL TRIBUTE anniversary thing they did goes into great detail about his world and and the classification of the Asgardians and others. The information in there aligns with Outside's comment precisely.

All-New Member

Except in the case of the MCU, a god, especially a Norse one, is simply an advanced alien that awed a few primitive humans rather than an actual deity. And so far Marvel doesn't seem to be able to decide whenever they should tread the path of mythology or go by Kirby and walk the path of technology.
    I know although I was hoping that they would go for Earth 616 route in which they are Gods.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan54321 View Post
    I know although I was hoping that they would go for Earth 616 route in which they are Gods.
    Except they aren't, not like the Olympians are in DC, because Marvel likes to keep both the ties to the original mythology open and remain true to one of St. Kirby's greatest creations. In the 616 universe, the Asgardians are the god-like beings the Norse once believed in, but they aren't really divine. They are long-lived and very powerful, but what humans might see as magic is many times just advanced technology. Like the Destroyer is essentially just a massive robot, much of the gear the Asgardian carry have some level of science behind it, enough for Stark to understand atleast and why Asgard is normally depicted as an advanced-looking society rather than large Viking village.

The Ultimate version of the Asgardians may have been more up front with the tech and Chariot of the Gods, but the 616 version still keeps holding onto the same because thats how Jack Kirby created it.

Except they aren't, not like the Olympians are in DC, because Marvel likes to keep both the ties to the original mythology open and remain true to one of St. Kirby's greatest creations. In the 616 universe, the Asgardians are the god-like beings the Norse once believed in, but they aren't really divine. They are long-lived and very powerful, but what humans might see as magic is many times just advanced technology. Like the Destroyer is essentially just a massive robot, much of the gear the Asgardian carry have some level of science behind it, enough for Stark to understand atleast and why Asgard is normally depicted as an advanced-looking society rather than large Viking village.

The Ultimate version of the Asgardians may have been more up front with the tech and Chariot of the Gods, but the 616 version still keeps holding onto the same because thats how Jack Kirby created it.
    Actually Marvel has been moving away from the Kirby model for quite some time now. I'd say since the Simonson.

All-New Member

actually,they are Gods in Earth 616.I don't know from where are you getting that info from but they are divine.MCU is more based on Earth X or Earth 199999 in which,as you said,they are aliens but in Earth 616 Stan Lee decided to make someone stronger than the strongest person,a God who happens to be a Norse God Thor.so yeah,they are Gods even to this day.Earth 616 has their own version of Gods but they are certainly not aliens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan54321 View Post
    actually,they are Gods in Earth 616.I don't know from where are you getting that info from but they are divine.
    Because I know they are more Jack Kirby's creations than they are Stan Lee's, and Kirby helped Lee create what would eventually become the 616 universe.

Anyways I think this is veering off topic.

Mighty Member

i think its great i always loved what they did with her in the tv show i just hope they get her characterization right and all but this sounds like a good idea to me

Ultimate Member

She's the oldest, most experienced, and most "worldy" of the Trinity in the films. Not seeing how this would be a bad thing really?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually Marvel has been moving away from the Kirby model for quite some time now. I'd say since the Simonson.
    Yeah, in Kirby's time, Asgard was portrayed as a place of technological wonders with giant machines.... but tbh I suspect that's because those were just the backgrounds Kirby liked to draw It was never entirely clear that they were supposed to be technologically sophisticated aliens rather than Gods - characters like Silver Age Odin, Loki, Enchantress, etc., seemed pretty supernatural, even if Thor did spend a lot of his time interacting with aliens like the Colonisers of Rigel. The fact that Asgardians are long-lived rather than immortal is not meaningful, because they age in the myths as well, without access to the Apples of Idun.

In any event, Simonson as you say brought it much closer to the myths. I would have preferred the MCU to follow that, particularly as it makes characters like Hela/Surtur a little more potentially interesting than they are likely to be if they continue with their current "Asgardians as aliens route".

To get back on topic, 5,000 years seems OK to me. Cretan civilization goes back about that far; the Mycenaen civilization maybe goes back some 3,500 years. Anyway, 5,000 is a good, round number.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 02-21-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Bit of extra clarification

If she is that old has she met and/or fought Vandal Savage or is that something that the DCEU will avoid?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    If she is that old has she met and/or fought Vandal Savage or is that something that the DCEU will avoid?
    Maybe. But he is way older than that XD Remember he was an Old School Neanderthal before he got changed by the meteor/pool of magic stuff. So its' possible they have ran across each other. Its also possible for her to just have been dealing with mythological threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    it worked fine in the Lynda Carter show. The character was 2500 years old in that show and it didn't seem to be a hindrance. I think it's better than making her 18 to be honest.
    I can't remember what was ever stated about Wonder Woman's age in the old TV show. Was this a situation of "her age was alluded to once, in a throwaway line of dialogue, and then the various writers of the later episodes just forgot all about it, so that it never made the slightest difference how old Diana was"?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I can't remember what was ever stated about Wonder Woman's age in the old TV show. Was this a situation of "her age was alluded to once, in a throwaway line of dialogue, and then the various writers of the later episodes just forgot all about it, so that it never made the slightest difference how old Diana was"?
    Wonder Woman made the remark when the show moved to CBS and went into the 70's era. Something like 2524 years old, or something like that. Steve than remarked she didn't look a day over 25.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Wonder Woman made the remark when the show moved to CBS and went into the 70's era. Something like 2524 years old, or something like that. Steve than remarked she didn't look a day over 25.
    Wonders woman should be two thousand years old.....

I want her to lead the JSA And have period adventures. Some a throw back to her 50's 'wonder girl' stories (one of the few pre 52 elements kept by azz.), some that involve her 'sneaking off'to man's world...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    Wonders woman should be two thousand years old.....

I want her to lead the JSA And have period adventures. Some a throw back to her 50's 'wonder girl' stories (one of the few pre 52 elements kept by azz.), some that involve her 'sneaking off'to man's world...
    There is No JSA in the movie universe man. something like that happening in WW2 would be widely documented