Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StaticShock99 View Post
    Cosigning this.

This too.
    I third this, though I expect I will like Gal's WW very much.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    WOW! For some reason DC is really determined to drive readers away, aren't they? Another relaunch this soon is completely unnecessary. You want the Wonder Woman comic to be more like the movie? Then change the outfit and start drawing her more like Gal (It's not like they don't change Wonder Woman's outfit every 15 minutes anyway and Wonder Woman in Justice League is basically Gal's outfit already). Still, the one that gets me is The Arrow-verse. So does that mean they're going to redo Black Canary again? At the end of 52 they systematically tore away everything they had spent years building for that character, they launch the New 52 and she's a completely different character in The Birds of Prey, they finally give her her own book and start building her back up to what she was before Andrew Kreisberg did everything he could to ruin her pre New 52 and now they may change her to the Arrowverse version where she's a third tier character they they all but ignore...SWELL! Can't wait!
    You got me worried there ... Really but really worried there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    This isn't a reboot. Its just a renumbering and renewed focus on their properties which are getting the most limelight right now outside of comics. I mean, there's always the chance of some retcons here and there, but the continuity is going to be the same. We'll still have essentially the same Wonder Woman, she's not going to turn into the cinematic WW overnight or anything. I wouldn't count on any substantial history changes.
    How do you know all of this? How can they justify giving a book a new #1 after only 52 issues if they're not going to change anything.

Right now its mostly word from the grapevine that says no continuity reboots. I tend to believe it because it makes far more sense. As to how you justify it without any major reboot, well, look at Marvel. They do it all the time, its just a blatant short-term shot in the arm because consumers flock to them, basically.

I mean, they always push some sort of differing feel on an atompsheric level with a spiffy tagline, and in some cases there are some differences, but pound for pound it will be the same thing. Major changes likely in store for the hopelessly failed ideas though, like Teen Titans, like Superboy, things of that nature.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    They may win me back as a reader if they restore the Amazons' honor and civilization, and bring back the utopian elements that make Wonder Woman.
    im sorry to have to be the cold heartd person to say this, but i liked the way the amazons where depicted in azz run because it does have a certain mythical/historical accuracy

the groups and tribes from the iron age and before it were raiders, (like the spartans and the dorians they descended from. the romans is another example of a raid group origin) even moreso knowing that their society stagnated for millenia. honor at that time was closelly tied to pride and glory, slavery was as normal in that time as it is to have a smartphone in this day and age. they may have fighted against many "injustices" (this is still relative to the cultural aspect of that especific age) there, but they still were a byproduct of their time. so yes i liked not because of the bloodbath but because it does makes sense acording to the time portrayed in the mythos

If this actually creates a baseline and consistent personality as well as limitations and ideas for the character so that it isn't bounced around for the sake of story in future Comics I'm all for it.

And I'm hoping Gal is the shining example of all of that and that the comics will follow suit so that we'll finally ACTUALLY have a CONSISTENT Wonder Woman in the comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    im sorry to have to be the cold heartd person to say this, but i liked the way the amazons where depicted in azz run because it does have a certain mythical/historical accuracy

the groups and tribes from the iron age and before it were raiders, (like the spartans and the dorians they descended from. the romans is another example of a raid group origin) even moreso knowing that their society stagnated for millenia. honor at that time was closelly tied to pride and glory, slavery was as normal in that time as it is to have a smartphone in this day and age. they may have fighted against many "injustices" (this is still relative to the cultural aspect of that especific age) there, but they still were a byproduct of their time. so yes i liked not because of the bloodbath but because it does makes sense acording to the time portrayed in the mythos
    I completely agree; the changes Azzarello made to the Amazons is not an issue at all; the real issue is that Wonder Woman's character is so different from the other Amazons; they need to reboot to make a more Frank Miller version of Wonder Woman where she has the traits similar to the other Amazons. The mistake that Azzarello made was when he sort of admitted that Dr. Psycho was on his short list when he instead went with First Born; so, correct it by now turning to Dr. Psycho, first, than a random injection of a character from her rogues gallery; basically, replace the current heavy emphasis on Greek Mythology with an emphasis on Dr. Psycho, where it's easier to bring in her rogues gallery and focus on other stories, where I prefer sci-fi. I want to see Dr. Psycho, her colleagues in the Justice League, and her random interactions with Man's World be the explanation for why she's different from the other Amazons, but, this process is going to take dozens of issues, where, she'll never really get to her current stage where she can actually lecture the other Amazons on accepting men onto Paradise Island. They can get ride of the past relationship with Steve Trevor and the current relationship with Superman, as well; make her interaction with Steve Trevor more something akin to what Marston produced, but, with her less focused on Steve Trevor.

Than, bring back all of her weaknesses, where Aphrodite's law applies again, where she usually uses her wit to get out of situations; basically, Marston style stories, just more mature and realistic; Wonder Woman needs to sweat a little more and the reader needs to get a sense that's she's in real peril and can either win or lose. Dr. Psycho’s powers are fully effective against her.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 01-23-2016 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Go back to the basics that Marston set up and work with that.
    Those have not exactly been used much since Kanigher took over the book...

BANNED

I am not sure I like this idea tbh. The TV shows might be fine, but they are extremely limited simply by what they are; the poor and stretched out version of what a movie is. And by the looks of things, trying to make the comics more like the TV shows haven't exactly done Green Arrow or Flash comics any favors, I have to doubt trying to make things more like the movies is going to end up any better.

I like the Arrowverse a lot but it's too soon to say if I'll like the cinematic version of Wonder Woman or not. I would just be happy if DC retconned everything from "The Odyssey" storyline until present. No Cheetah and Giganta as Amazons, no Zeus-daddy origin, no mass-murdering Donna Troy. Go back to the basics that Marston set up and work with that.
    I'd say if anything was to be lifted from the Odyssey storyline other than it's Dr. Psycho, it was Cheetah and Giganta as Amazons since it finally provided an actual connection to Diana other than having been on the receiving end of her fist or boot at one point.

Azzarello did go back to basics with the Amazons btw, the basics Marston himself used.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am not sure I like this idea tbh. The TV shows might be fine, but they are extremely limited simply by what they are; the poor and stretched out version of what a movie is. And by the looks of things, trying to make the comics more like the TV shows haven't exactly done Green Arrow or Flash comics any favors, I have to doubt trying to make things more like the movies is going to end up any better.

I'd say if anything was to be lifted from the Odyssey storyline other than it's Dr. Psycho, it was Cheetah and Giganta as Amazons since it finally provided an actual connection to Diana other than having been on the receiving end of her fist or boot at one point.

Azzarello did go back to basics with the Amazons btw, the basics Marston himself used.

While I think Giganta could use a stronger connection to Wonder Woman in the New 52, I thought that Johns gave a sufficient connection in Justice League between the Cheetah and Diana. Barbara Minerva was Diana's 1st female friend in Man's World and used her to get information on mythical artifacts.

As for Azzarello going back to the basics of Marston, I'm interested in hearing how you came to that conclusion as I feel that Azz did exactly the opposite of that by making the Amazons anti-tech, bitter, and murderers.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

While I think Giganta could use a stronger connection to Wonder Woman in the New 52, I thought that Johns gave a sufficient connection in Justice League between the Cheetah and Diana. Barbara Minerva was Diana's 1st female friend in Man's World and used her to get information on mythical artifacts.

As for Azzarello going back to the basics of Marston, I'm interested in hearing how you came to that conclusion as I feel that Azz did exactly the opposite of that by making the Amazons anti-tech, bitter, and murderers.
    Well, I just dont think that 2-3 pages of them talking and one box saying they were friends is enough to actually make that friendship real. I know it's there but I haven't actually seen any of it. But that kinda just fits into Johns slap-dash approach to just about everything from his early JL days. The story could have worked if Johns had bothered putting some time and effort into actually showing this friendship before Barbara was transformed.

Marston took the mythological Amazons and made them into his very specific version. Azzarello took the same mythological Amazons and went in a more generalized direction.

This is certainly...interesting news. I'm not really a fan of re-boots and re-launches, but at this point I'll take anything that would potentially remove the current creative team from this book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well, I just dont think that 2-3 pages of them talking and one box saying they were friends is enough to actually make that friendship real. I know it's there but I haven't actually seen any of it. But that kinda just fits into Johns slap-dash approach to just about everything from his early JL days. The story could have worked if Johns had bothered putting some time and effort into actually showing this friendship before Barbara was transformed.

Marston took the mythological Amazons and made them into his very specific version. Azzarello took the same mythological Amazons and went in a more generalized direction.
    telling the barbara and WW friendship via flashbacks is anticlimatic and dumb way. It has zero impact on reader

Incredible Member

First of all, can. Wonder woman stop being the god of war and go back to being an ambassador of peace?
    Can DC also understand the difference between training a civilisation to defend themselves, and a race of blood thirsty warriors
    Let's pretend the superman/wonder woman thing never happened
    Less focus on the Greek mythology, more focus on Diana the super hero
    Her classic rouges gallery

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    First of all, can. Wonder woman stop being the god of war and go back to being an ambassador of peace?
    Can DC also understand the difference between training a civilisation to defend themselves, and a race of blood thirsty warriors
    Let's pretend the superman/wonder woman thing never happened
    Less focus on the Greek mythology, more focus on Diana the super hero
    Her classic rouges gallery
    agree on everything.

liked you