Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

The Amazons are immortal. Their lack of a "need to advance" doesn't have to apply, as a society not facing the constraints of their own mortality might act very differently. You can't sit around eating coconuts forever, and boredom and scientific curiosity could easily have driven them to make advances independent of how we know them to happen in reality.

They can go any way on this, really. I'm more concerned with how they'll approach the question of their morals. Azz's brutal savages and Perez's bloodless, irreproachable demigods were equally boring, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    In some areas yes. But in many they were no further along than the Ancient Greeks, centuries behind.

The lack of war is, sadly, a hinderance, since many such advances come from it. You also need a certain cultural mindset which perhaps the Amazons lacked. And finally there has to be a need to advance. Capatilsm drives most advances of the last 200 years but the Amazons don't have that system.
    War with other mortal states sure. But there is a blank canvas to fill there and that's assuming you'd want to have as a constraint that war must be present for them to advance.

However, I think there are other ways and a world that is not bound as ours is could grant every mind the freedom to explore the sciences and the arts in the Greek tradition. I think the challenge is to forget about making them mirror our world. Once we do that, the possibilities are limitless which was kind of the intent of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    War with other mortal states sure. But there is a blank canvas to fill there and that's assuming you'd want to have as a constraint that war must be present for them to advance.

However, I think there are other ways and a world that is not bound as ours is could grant every mind the freedom to explore the sciences and the arts in the Greek tradition. I think the challenge is to forget about making them mirror our world. Once we do that, the possibilities are limitless which was kind of the intent of the design.
    The Amazons were never Greeks. The Greeks based them on Scythian and Pontic warrior women and believed them to inhabit those regions, near the shores of the Black Sea. That's something I'd love for a reboot to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    The Amazons are immortal. Their lack of a "need to advance" doesn't have to apply, as a society not facing the constraints of their own mortality might act very differently. You can't sit around eating coconuts forever, and boredom and scientific curiosity could easily have driven them to make advances independent of how we know them to happen in reality.

They can go any way on this, really. I'm more concerned with how they'll approach the question of their morals. Azz's brutal savages and Perez's bloodless, irreproachable demigods were equally boring, IMO.
    the thing is they are a extremelly mysthical and religious society, in fact im amazed that they are not a group of fully accomplished archsorceress magibladed warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    the thing is they are a extremelly mysthical and religious society, in fact im amazed that they are not a group of fully accomplished archsorceress magibladed warriors
    That was certainly the direction Perez took them in and most stuff since has followed suit. They need not be that way, though.

The bloodless, irreproachable demigods who killed their captors?

From the sound of it, whichever Amazons will exist in the movie-verse will also be the Amazons to exist in the comics. I have to wonder which version we'll get. According to Johns, at least, it sounds to be something close to Perez.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    From the sound of it, whichever Amazons will exist in the movie-verse will also be the Amazons to exist in the comics. I have to wonder which version we'll get. According to Johns, at least, it sounds to be something close to Perez.

In recent issues of Justice League, Diana mentions how the Amazons were created to protect mankind but abandoned their mission. I believe this is also the tagline for the Wonder Woman movie Amazons so perhaps Justice League is a sneak peak at the "Rebirth" Amazons.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And then redeemed themselves for that arguably justified act by becoming bloodless, irreproachable demigods, yep.

Big piece of info here, again from BC:

Thing The Second. The article that launched this big fuss, stated that the books were looking to align with the TV and film. And while there is some truth to that, it may only be in titles only. I am told that the content will be aiming to be its own beast entirely and there will be no “lean into the film and TV stuff” aspect to the “rebirth/relaunch.”

So, expect more Supergirl comics. But not necessarily modelled on the TV show. And other stuff as well. The aim is for “the comics should lead, not follow”.
    So we're NOT to expect Wonder Woman to suddenly start morphing into the Gal Gadot incarnation. We're not going to see it revealed she was active in the WWI era or some such. She and Superman won't be categorically nixed just to sync with Steve. The comics are its own thing and really the only connection to their movie-verse selves is the fact that they get more attention in the comics because they have these movie/tv incarnations.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Big piece of info here, again from BC:

So we're NOT to expect Wonder Woman to suddenly start morphing into the Gal Gadot incarnation. We're not going to see it revealed she was active in the WWI era or some such. She and Superman won't be categorically nixed just to sync with Steve. The comics are its own thing and really the only connection to their movie-verse selves is the fact that they get more attention in the comics because they have these movie/tv incarnations.
    I'm sure they'll still change the tone and direction of the comics to be more accessible to new readers.
    Last edited by Bosch; 01-25-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I respectfully disagree in regards to the Amazons 'stagnating.'

If they were a completely isolated culture, I'd agree...to a point (immortals who may possibly be counselled by gods who are keeping up with the outside world are tricky to compare to entire civilizations, not to mention there are muses who aren't worshipped outside of the Amazons and possibly the Atlanteans...)

They aren't isolated. Hippolyta mentioned taking a weekend sojourn with Diana to the outside world in the Annual, and the Amazons come in contact the outside world a minimum of three times a century. They also have a library that, if I recall correctly, made references to the outside world (assuming Amazons bring back books on raids?) That's enough for them to see advancements in clothing, food preservation/refrigeration, weaponry, transportation methods, radio, sonar, etc.

The idea that there aren't any Amazons who would look at any of these new things and not think 'this might come in handy' is a bit appalling to me. They train for war, so anything that might give them an advantage would be explored. They have Doom's Doorway (shown in Superman/WW) so anything that might give them an edge there would have been looked into. Communication is a huge thing that the outside world has made incredible advancements in and that would be readily seen - from basic radios to satellite phones to electric lights as signals. Guns? Tell me that there wouldn't be Amazons who would love an efficient way to kill.

They aren't completely isolated, and despite the fact that in the nu52 we've pretty much only seen warrior Amazons, someone built their homes, cooks their food, tends their sick and injured. New bandages, medicines, food and materials to preserve it (foil, plastic bags), better tools (ships have toolkits), cell phones...there are so many things that the Amazons have access to (Diana is in her early 20s and Aleka is about her age, so the last raid would have been in the 90s)

They have homes they live in - now they see advanced building techniques and materials.

Add to that the culture - the art, the writings, the music. Basic photography. Ballpoint pens. Notebooks.

So many things to make their lives, even if those lives are just all about war and killing, easier and/or more efficient, not to mention there have to be *some* Amazons that are bored with living in isolation who are looking for something new.

All of this is just assuming that there are *only* 3x/century raids, but again, Hippolyta offered to take Diana out into man's world for the weekend. Clearly there is access if she chooses it, and nothing that says Amazons don't venture out from time to time.

They have the need (war, Doom's Doorway), they have the time and, I would like to think, at least some of them have the curiosity/ingenuity to want to advance their civilization.
    There is one thing that is missing - people - being an outsider that has lived in many states all the way from the East to the West Coast and back over the last 27 years in the US - I can categorically tell you that it is younger generations which are frequently the harbingers of cultural change. You can give all the know how and technology but mindsets are the most difficult of all to change. Ergo an immortal race traumatized by their experiences with Heracles would not change substantially no matter what especially if they had god given protection helping them stay isolated

I'm sure they'll still change the tone and direction of the comics to be more accessible to new readers.
    Quite possible. You have to justify a Marvel-like generic relaunch model, try to explain why going back to #1's makes sense for the stories and aren't just a quick sell (which is its), and a change of tone is usually how its advertised. But its just more in a long line of evidence that they're not restarting from scratch continuity wise or changing anything on a massive degree outside the couple properties that are infamously broken right now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And then redeemed themselves for that arguably justified act by becoming bloodless, irreproachable demigods, yep.
    How where they irreproachable? The entire run was about them reuniting with the world and forgiving Heracles.