Fantastic Member

Default Has anyone seen the new Lucifer show?

I really liked the series by Carey, but I have the impression that the similarities between the comic and the show end at the fact that Lucifer has left Hell and has a Club in L.A. and that the show is just another procedural. Is that indeed the case, or is the show closer to the comic series?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

The show is Lucifer in name only. I enjoyed the pilot so interested to see where it goes.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    The show is Lucifer in name only. I enjoyed the pilot so interested to see where it goes.
    bammer 10ch

I hope it's not rude to repeat what I said in an earlier thread - this looks like the better thread choice for it.

I watched the pilot last night. I wasn't impressed. Mainly the writing wasn't good - certainly when compared to the character as presented in the SANDMAN and LUCIFER comic books, which were brilliant. In the comics, Lucifer had a deep-seated world-weary manner (which was the basis of his decision to leave Hell) to go with his droll sense of humor; in the TV show he just seems like a debauched, pun-flinging funnyman. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that.") The other characters - Maze (who is apparently all we get for Mazikenn), Amenadiel, even Chloe Decker - were given no personality at all. The suspects - rich producer, gangsta rapper, movie star - were just types, not even characters.

The case-of-the-week was unengaging. And I have to say that having a "consulting detective to the LAPD" who (a) is immortal, and (b) can make practically anyone blurt out the truth just by asking - well, that sounds (and came across as) a little boring.

I had this strange reaction when I saw Chloe wake up in the hospital bed after being shot and almost dying: "Why is her hair and make-up absolutely perfect?" Is this an additional power of Lucifer's that he used while saving her life?

It may shape up, but my expectations are low.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

As a random network show it was entertaining, i guess. The lead actor had charm but wasn't the comic book character.

I'll keep watching since it's on after the X-Files.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I hope it's not rude to repeat what I said in an earlier thread - this looks like the better thread choice for it.

I watched the pilot last night. I wasn't impressed. Mainly the writing wasn't good - certainly when compared to the character as presented in the SANDMAN and LUCIFER comic books, which were brilliant. In the comics, Lucifer had a deep-seated world-weary manner (which was the basis of his decision to leave Hell) to go with his droll sense of humor; in the TV show he just seems like a debauched, pun-flinging funnyman. ("Not that there's anything wrong with that.") The other characters - Maze (who is apparently all we get for Mazikenn), Amenadiel, even Chloe Decker - were given no personality at all. The suspects - rich producer, gangsta rapper, movie star - were just types, not even characters.

The case-of-the-week was unengaging. And I have to say that having a "consulting detective to the LAPD" who (a) is immortal, and (b) can make practically anyone blurt out the truth just by asking - well, that sounds (and came across as) a little boring.

I had this strange reaction when I saw Chloe wake up in the hospital bed after being shot and almost dying: "Why is her hair and make-up absolutely perfect?" Is this an additional power of Lucifer's that he used while saving her life?

It may shape up, but my expectations are low.
    Ok. I have to ask. Are you fucking serious? It's the PILOT for gods sake! How much character development did you expect in the first 40 minute episode? I mean c'mon, to fit everyone in for long stretches of time and show them as real characters and not just types the thing would have to be several fucking hours long. I mean good lord, I'd understand this kind of stupidity in a review of a show that's at least half a season in, but 1 episode??

You can say all you want about the premise, and the writing, fine, that's fine, but don't act like tv shows ALWAYS show off exactly who a character is in a hundred percent detail in the first episode. I mean god.

Also. Maze IS Mazikeen. It's called a Nickname. Dick Grayson's full name is Richard Grayson. Just because everyone calls him Dick doesn't mean that's what's on his birth certificate.

I don't think I'll be watching it. The comic was better.

You're a very angry person. I really don't have any reason to discuss this with you. Be well.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

I didn't read the book but I did watch the pilot.

I really enjoyed it; the show looks like fun!

Let's remember that what works in comics does not work on television and vice versa.

While it wasn't bad, it didn't hook me. I hadn't read the source material, so I have no idea how true it was. I enjoyed some of the banter, but otherwise it didn't leave much of an impression positive or otherwise
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

I never read the book but I did enjoy the show. Hopefully some more episodes will help get out the kinks that I seen with it. Should be a interesting show to watch!