Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If you are looking for something with a double meaning...

Fair: (def) 1. agreeing with what is thought to be right or acceptable, treating people in a way that does not favor some over others
    2. : pleasing to the eye or mind especially because of a flawless quality: clean, pure

Fairest of the fair.
    Either means that she is the most beautiful of the righteous or the most righteous of the beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    The "Avenging Amazon" has more of an up to date ring to it than "Amazing Amazon" and implies a certain level of violence that goes better with the New 52 version.
    They did the whole "avenging Amazon" thing during Byrne's run.... Diana isn't about avenging anything.....

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    They did the whole "avenging Amazon" thing during Byrne's run.... Diana isn't about avenging anything.....
    Yeah...she is quite the opposite with her forgiving her enemies xD
    The only time I think this could work is in Wonder Woman Odyssey, and even then not completely.

Uhm...let's see. The warrior for Peace or the fairest warrior?
    God of War works only for the new 52 version, but it has quite an effect xD, and 'heir' too, but in this last case it could still work for every version if instead of connecting it with the gods we consider the fact she is the Heir of Themyscira, or of the Amazons xD or... the heir of myth?
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Amazing Member

Honestly I love the idea of using a homophone because of the Knight/Night/Son/Sun idea but it has to feel natural. At the moment, I think "heir" is...iffy. I'm not sure we have one that sounds solid yet. "Fresh heir," for instance, makes me think of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Something about it just feels like we're trying to find a way to make "heir" fit her rather than it organically fitting.

But if you do want to us it, I'd submit "The Heir of Truth" because that's both accurate (lasso and all) and also expands the homophone theme because "an air of truth" is also a phrase.

Otherwise, I think Simone's use of "The First Daughter of Themiscyra," is a good one. She is, after all, it's first (and sometimes only) daughter and it inverts "Last Son" for Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    If she's going to be called that, then there is something she should be avenging.
    Women, lesbians, gays and transgenders, minorities, the disenfranchised, the impoverished, children, victims, the 99%. Diana is about love and compassion and it makes sense that she would "take vengeance or exact satisfaction for" those she felt needed it. Out of the Trinity she's the most political. Or she should be, if DC weren't running away from that aspect in favor of a masculine title like "God of War".

I want to change my answer to the "Avenging Angel" in light of what Steve used to call her.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Women, lesbians, gays and transgenders, minorities, the disenfranchised, the impoverished, children, victims, the 99%. Diana is about love and compassion and it makes sense that she would "take vengeance or exact satisfaction for" those she felt needed it. Out of the Trinity she's the most political. Or she should be, if DC weren't running away from that aspect in favor of a masculine title like "God of War".

I want to change my answer to the "Avenging Angel" in light of what Steve used to call her.
    So, you want a Wonder Woman who inflicts pain and suffering on other people instead of trying to show them the error of their ways? You want a Wonder Woman who cares more about hurting other people who hurt people than she does about redeeming them? A Wonder Woman who cares for revenge instead of mercy, compassion, and forgiveness? A Wonder Woman who is a mouthpiece for a political movement, instead of an icon of what people should strive to be?

Thanks, I'll stick with what DC's doing: showcasing her mercy and forgiveness and showing that she's awesome enough to try to change the very concept of "War" into something better and nobler.

Oh, and by the way? "God of War" isn't an exclusively masculine title. Do a quick Google search about how many goddesses there are out there who are associated with War. I promise you, I can think of at least five just off the top of my head. Want a list?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

When even the grimdark Batman seeks justice and not vengeance, i think WW should be about justice too. Not vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    However Diana is known more for being the champion not the heir. also your planning on the current not the general wonder woman. Wonder Woman is The champion of the gods. She is not a heir. You have to extend this not just heir. She is more known for amazing amazons and becoming the champion of peace.
    Diana is most certainly an a heir.

Or do you not realize what most princesses eventually become? Queens.

Princess Diana is both the Heir to Queen Hippolyta of Themyscria and the Heir to King Zeus of Olympus.

"Heir" covers both houses and her entire 73 year (and counting) history. It just needs the right adjective in front of it.

"Amazing" will always be more associated with Spider-Man more than it ever will Wonder Woman, so that's out.

"God of War" has been too strongly associated with this highly successful fellow:

And successful video games blow away successful comic books (hell, they blow away successful MOVIES) in terms of profit.

And with the amount of blood (and twisted necks) on her hands, I'm not buying the "Champion of Peace" bit at all. Comes off as too hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Diana is most certainly an a heir.

Or do you not realize what most princesses eventually become? Queens.

Princess Diana is both the Heir to Queen Hippolyta of Themyscria and the Heir to King Zeus of Olympus.

"Heir" covers both houses and her entire 73 year (and counting) history. It just needs the right adjective in front of it.

"Amazing" will always be more associated with Spider-Man more than it ever will Wonder Woman, so that's out.

"God of War" has been too strongly associated with this highly successful fellow:

And successful video games blow away successful comic books (hell, they blow away successful MOVIES) in terms of profit.

And with the amount of blood (and twisted necks) on her hands, I'm not buying the "Champion of Peace" bit at all. Comes off as too hypocritical.
    I think you're exaggerating Diana's violent nature when she's not written by Johns. She's still not on the level of Wolverine and Punisher. Anyway Champion of Peace works for me because peace still needs to be defended sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I think you're exaggerating Diana's violent nature when she's not written by Johns. She's still not on the level of Wolverine and Punisher. Anyway Champion of Peace works for me because peace still needs to be defended sometimes.
    Was this scene written by Johns?

Yup, totally peaceful Seems like it's not just Johns who shows how non-peaceful WW can be.

Yup, totally peaceful Seems like it's not just Johns who shows how non-peaceful WW can be.
    Yes but Johns is the only one who shows only her non-peaceful side. But I think I'm derailing my own thread so sorry.

Don't know why you are saying this xD You know that Medusa wanted to turn into stone everyone, right? xD She did that to protect everyone. Medusa's intentions were to kill Diana and then to look directly at the camera which was transmitting their duel, thus turning into stone every spectator.

To prevent that Diana even blinded herself. And no, she couldn't do anything else because it was a duel to the death. Medusa had evoked Ares to do so, and at the end it was what Athena wanted since she had been the one to tell Ares to accept Medusa's call. To kill has always been a last resort for her, not something she likes to do, unless you are considering JL's new 52 Wonder Woman, for her it is dubious, but even then, she said she kills only if it comes to that.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Diana is a warrior who fights for peace and a better world. There are monsters and bullies out there who will always oppose Diana's mission of peace. Diana's stance has been, for quite some time, that if you can't cage a monster or remove its claws, you destroy it.

Diana, in that scene, was fighting to defend innocent people from an inhuman monster who was killing people left and right. She was not responding to reason and would not accept any fate other than death. It was no different than when Superman killed Zod in MoS.

Johns, as cheetah said, is the only writer who ONLY shows Diana's penchant for violence. Other writers show that she CAN be violent, when the situation calls for it. But most writers make it a point to show that killing is never her preference and they also tend to show her kindness, her forgiveness, and her willingness to redeem even the blackest of hearts. Rucka's run (where that image is from) was ALL ABOUT showing Diana's softer, more diplomatic side. There were entire issues with no violence of any kind. Read the whole run before you judge it, or before you use a single page to show proof positive that Diana is a bloodthirsty savage all day, every day.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 06-18-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Champion of Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Diana is a warrior who fights for peace and a better world. There are monsters and bullies out there who will always oppose Diana's mission of peace. Diana's stance has been, for quite some time, that if you can't cage a monster or remove its claws, you destroy it.
    That right there shows why the word "peace" should not associated with Diana. If she's going to be about "peace", as in "peace" is one of her strongest defining characteristics, then she cannot kill, point-blank. Seriously, how does Batman, one of the most punchy and violent heroes ever, still have by far the strongest no-kill policy out of any DC hero?

If it's peace she's obsessed with, stick her in that ambassador/diplomat role and show her negotiating peace between warring factions and not chopping off heads or breaking necks. Oh right, that won't sell issues. Fine, it's a business and DC should be making as much money off WW as it can. But let's not force Diana into a position where she's revealed to be a hypocrite. Peace = non-violence. If peace is what you are hanging your hat on, violence is a last resort and killing is not an option.

Of course, I'm perfectly alright with Diana chopping off heads and breaking necks of bad guys. Brings in a different viewpoint (has killed, will kill, and kill often, if necessary) from Batman (Never ever not once has or will kill) and Superman (never ... except that one or two times with Zod ... does Doomsday count? .... but otherwise never).

I'm just saying "peace" ain't a good defining trait for her ... and shouldn't be in any of her sobriquets (to bring this conversation back to its original intent).