Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    That right there shows why the word "peace" should not associated with Diana. If she's going to be about "peace", as in "peace" is one of her strongest defining characteristics, then she cannot kill, point-blank. Seriously, how does Batman, one of the most punchy and violent heroes ever, still have by far the strongest no-kill policy out of any DC hero?

If it's peace she's obsessed with, stick her in that ambassador/diplomat role and show her negotiating peace between warring factions and not chopping off heads or breaking necks. Oh right, that won't sell issues. Fine, it's a business and DC should be making as much money off WW as it can. But let's not force Diana into a position where she's revealed to be a hypocrite. Peace = non-violence. If peace is what you are hanging your hat on, violence is a last resort and killing is not an option.

Of course, I'm perfectly alright with Diana chopping off heads and breaking necks of bad guys. Brings in a different viewpoint (has killed, will kill, and kill often, if necessary) from Batman (Never ever not once has or will kill) and Superman (never ... except that one or two times with Zod ... does Doomsday count? .... but otherwise never).

I'm just saying "peace" ain't a good defining trait for her ... and shouldn't be in any of her sobriquets (to bring this conversation back to its original intent).
    That's why she is a warrior of Peace. And killing or not killing, I wouldn't say Batman is a champion of Peace xD
    If to kill a bad guy is the only way to save other innocent people what would you do? Since you are for peace you don't do that and you let the bad guy kill whoever he wants? You wouldn't obtain Peace in that way either, you know...

She is a warrior of Peace because she does things like this:

If she can she does everything she can to seek Peace. If there's no other choice she is willingly to do things she doesn't like to do. That's much more realistic than Batman's no killing policy. Sometimes there's no other choice and you have to do what you have to do. No different from the situation a soldier or a policeman can find himself. You are in the position to kill the bad guy. If you don't do that he will kill another person. What do you do? You let him kill that person because of your no killing policy or you do it even if you really wouldn't want to do that, even if you'll have nightmares and you'll really regret it later?

Saying there's always another way is just not the true. Sometimes there's another way (and Diana would follow that other way), sometimes there's not. In fact I find that to maintain the no killing policy for some characters sometimes writers find themselves to resort to very unrealistic gimmicks.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    So, you want a Wonder Woman who inflicts pain and suffering on other people instead of trying to show them the error of their ways? You want a Wonder Woman who cares more about hurting other people who hurt people than she does about redeeming them? A Wonder Woman who cares for revenge instead of mercy, compassion, and forgiveness? A Wonder Woman who is a mouthpiece for a political movement, instead of an icon of what people should strive to be?

Thanks, I'll stick with what DC's doing: showcasing her mercy and forgiveness and showing that she's awesome enough to try to change the very concept of "War" into something better and nobler.

Oh, and by the way? "God of War" isn't an exclusively masculine title. Do a quick Google search about how many goddesses there are out there who are associated with War. I promise you, I can think of at least five just off the top of my head. Want a list?
    No, I want a proactive Wonder Woman, that's a warrior for her beliefs. Not by using her "Sword of Justice", but by using her "Lasso of Truth". You don't alleviate pain and suffering by causing more of it, Wonder Woman showcases mercy and forgiveness, but she kicks ass too.

Anyone remember when Diana got Hoppy all of her child support money back, by talking to Hoppy's ex-husband's boss? Remember when Diana sold a Themysciran artifact to help a battered wife and her child flee from her abusive husband? Anyone remember the Athenian Women Shelters, the Wonder Woman Foundation, the Wonder Scouts, or Diana's book, lectures and televised interviews where she took on the world's problems without using her fists?

That's the kind of "avenging" I'm talking about.

But avenging is the wrong word for Diana. She is doing this for peace and love for Justice. Avenging is the wrong word for it doesn't fit. Also it's to clear to Avengers. Champion of Justice. Warrior of Peace . Avenging is not the word. The avenging amazons is way to
    be violent and revenge but not in a manner we want. Warrior of Peace works better

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    That's why she is a warrior of Peace.
    That just sounds like she's in the wrong career. Can't stand paradoxical nicknames. That's like calling someone a Liar for Truth. Warriors make war. That's what they do.

And killing or not killing, I wouldn't say Batman is a champion of Peace xD
    Nope, Batman has always been about justice, never peace. In this, he has been unerringly consistent. "Justice" fits Batman like a glove. "Hope" fits Superman like a glove. "Peace" fits Wonder Woman like a high heeled shoe 4 sizes too small.

If to kill a bad guy is the only way to save other innocent people what would you do? Since you are for peace you don't do that and you let the bad guy kill whoever he wants? You wouldn't obtain Peace in that way either, you know...
    I would kill the bad guy ... and I never once would use or have the word "Peace" subscribed to me.

She is a warrior of Peace because she does things like this:

That IS impressive, I'll admit.

If she can she does everything she can to seek Peace. If there's no other choice she is willingly to do things she doesn't like to do. That's much more realistic than Batman's no killing policy. Sometimes there's no other choice and you have to do what you have to do.
    No argument here. But "Peace" isn't the right word here. That's more "Ends justify the Means" pragmatic and less idealistic.

No different from the situation a soldier or a policeman can find himself. You are in the position to kill the bad guy. If you don't do that he will kill another person. What do you do? You let him kill that person because of your no killing policy or you do it even if you really wouldn't want to do that, even if you'll have nightmares and you'll really regret it later?
    Soldiers and Police officers' first duty is to uphold their laws, not keep the peace. Ambassadors and diplomats first duty is to make the peace.

Saying there's always another way is just not the true. Sometimes there's another way (and Diana would follow that other way), sometimes there's not. In fact I find that to maintain the no killing policy for some characters sometimes writers find themselves to resort to very unrealistic gimmicks.
    Very true. I have no problem with any of what you're saying.

Except that while the word "peace" is a great characteristic for real people, it's a lousy and unnecessarily limiting characteristic to attach to an action-oriented superhero like Wonder Woman.

Back to new sobriquets for Wondy:

Let's try something something "daughter"

The God Daughter (Referencing Zeus)

The Gods Daughter (the entire Greek mythology)

The Sky Daughter (to go with Zeus' Skyfather role)
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-18-2014 at 11:07 AM.

BANNED

"Warrior of Peace" doesn't have the same forceful connotation that "God of War" does. After all this is a comic book and you need a name that's exciting, dynamic or larger than life.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    No, I want a proactive Wonder Woman, that's a warrior for her beliefs. Not by using her "Sword of Justice", but by using her "Lasso of Truth". You don't alleviate pain and suffering by causing more of it, Wonder Woman showcases mercy and forgiveness, but she kicks ass too.

Anyone remember when Diana got Hoppy all of her child support money back, by talking to Hoppy's ex-husband's boss? Remember when Diana sold a Themysciran artifact to help a battered wife and her child flee from her abusive husband? Anyone remember the Athenian Women Shelters, the Wonder Woman Foundation, the Wonder Scouts, or Diana's book, lectures and televised interviews where she took on the world's problems without using her fists?

Eh, I agree on the fact she should do this, but for me this is not 'avenging' anything. Maybe it's me, but the word 'avenge' makes me think of a completely different thing, like killing those who have wronged her or someone else, like no giving any chance to those who have done bad things to redeem themselves, and that's not what she does, not if she can do otherwise.

She defends those who need to be defended even by fighting, but she also forgives and helps enemies to change.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

"Warrior of Peace" doesn't have the same forceful connotation that "God of War" does. After all this is a comic book and you need a name that's exciting, dynamic or larger than life.
    Say "God of War" and wayyyy more people will think of Kratos from the video game series GOD OF WAR well before they begin to think of Wonder Woman. Plus, there's no way Diana keeps that title long-term after Azz leaves the book.

However God Of War is his version not the whole Wonder Woman History. Avenging sounds
    she like she takes out people. She is more Champion of the amazons.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

That just sounds like she's in the wrong career. Can't stand paradoxical nicknames. That's like calling someone a Liar for Truth. Warriors make war. That's what they do.
    And sometimes, war is necessary to bring peace.

Or do you REALLY think we could've TALKED Adolf Hitler into stopping what he was doing and turning himself over to face the world's judgement for his crimes? There was one way and one way only to stop Hitler and his followers: war. To end the bloodshed, the world had no choice but to go to war.

THAT'S what Diana stands for.......when she isn't written by Geoff Johns or anyone else who just wants to focus on how much ass she kicks.

That IS impressive, I'll admit.
    And there's a TON more where that came from.

Any of our historians want to keep on posting more of Diana's best "peace" moments? Perhaps we can start a new thread to showcase this side of her?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Well...I guess it's just a question of tastes, I kind of like oxymorons. That is a certain component of conflict that I like, together with the whole phylosophy that nothing exists without its opposite. For the same reason I like her new status as god of war.

Nope, Batman has always been about justice, never peace. In this, he has been unerringly consistent. "Justice" fits Batman like a glove. "Hope" fits Superman like a glove. "Peace" fits Wonder Woman like a high heeled shoe 4 sizes too small.
    I think she fights for Peace, but maybe that is not her main trait. She seems to be more for believing in the good of people, in changing, forgiving, in trying to become better and help the others to do the same, in finding her strength and help the others to find theirs.

No argument here. But "Peace" isn't the right word here. That's more "Ends justify the Means" pragmatic and less idealistic.

Soldiers and Police officers' first duty is to uphold their laws, not keep the peace. Ambassadors and diplomats first duty is to make the peace.
    But in a certain sense she does that. She tries to seek peace first, if it is possible. And a soldier or a policeman if he can avoid killing that bad guy should always try to do that. Killing is only the last resort.
    What I mean is that for me the fact that if she has to, not just for saving herself, but to protect other people, she would even kill, doesn't mean she doesn't want Peace, doesn't prevent her from being a warrior for peace, just like the fact that Batman doesn't kill, doesn't make him suddenly an avatar for peace.

Very true. I have no problem with any of what you're saying.

Except that while the word "peace" is a great characteristic for real people, it's a lousy and unnecessarily limiting characteristic to attach to an action-oriented superhero like Wonder Woman.
    Ok, if you mean Peace in the sense of never using violence even when there's no other choice, then I agree, it can't be applied to any superhero. I consider peace still attached to 'warrior'.

The Gods Daughter (the entire Greek mythology)
    This one could be applied also to pre52 WW. She was the gods daughter also pre52 in a certain sense.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 06-18-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    And sometimes, war is necessary to bring peace.
    Except that sobriquets should refer to what a particular person does ALL the time: Superman is pretty much ALWAYS the Last Son of Kypton and he is pretty much ALWAYS the Man of Steel. He doesn't do anything to revoke those titles. Batman is pretty much ALWAYS the Dark Knight and he pretty much ALWAYS is the Caped Crusader of Gotham. Again, never does anything to revoke these sobriquets.

Warrior for Peace = she ALWAYS makes war to gain peace? If that is what she's doing , then fine, call her that. But if that's not something she ALWAYS hangs her hat on, then I'd leave the word "Peace" out of it.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 06-18-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Except that sobriquets should refer to what a particular person does ALL the time: Superman is pretty much ALWAYS the Last Son of Kypton and he is pretty much ALWAYS the Man of Steel. He doesn't do anything to revoke those titles. Batman is pretty much ALWAYS the Dark Knight and he pretty much ALWAYS is the Caped Crusader of Gotham. Again, never does anything to revoke these sobriquets.

Warrior for Peace = she ALWAYS makes war to gain peace? If that is what she's doing , then fine, call her that. But if that's not something she ALWAYS hangs her hat on, then I'd leave the word "Peace" out of it.
    She fights for Peace. Just like Superman fights to inspire the world to build a better future. He still does a lot of hurting people and breaking things.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

If it's peace she's obsessed with, stick her in that ambassador/diplomat role and show her negotiating peace between warring factions and not chopping off heads or breaking necks.
    It's a comicbook. Comics are about people in bright costumes punching each other. With that in mind, WW is about peace because that's the situations she deals with, the ideal she strives for.

I dont think killing some monsters here and there negates that, especially when she tries her best to reform and help her enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I dont think killing some monsters here and there negates that, especially when she tries her best to reform and help her enemies.
    Especially not when her success rate at reforming her enemies is easily the highest out of any superhero in any universe of which I've ever heard.

Seriously. Superman has reformed a villain or two in his time. Diana has done it multiple times in multiple continuities across decades.

I really don't think there's a hero out there who has a better track record on this front.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

That is not what avenging means. It is the wrong word for what you're describing.