View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Magick #4

2 5.71%
  • Chew #54

1 2.86%
  • Cry Havoc #1

7 20.00%
  • Deadly Class #18

1 2.86%
  • East of West #24

2 5.71%
  • Island Magazine #6

0 0%
  • Jupiter's Circle Volume 2 #3

2 5.71%
  • Monstress #3

3 8.57%
  • Outcast #15

1 2.86%
  • Prophet: Earth War #1 (of 6)

8 22.86%
  • Revival #36

0 0%
  • Savage Dragon #211

0 0%
  • Saga #33

1 2.86%
  • Southern Bastards #13

7 20.00%
  • Other - The Beauty #6, The Fuse #17, ODY-C #9, Ringside #3

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 4 - Cry Havoc & Prophet: Earth War both launch!

Welcome to this week's (slightly early) Image round-up, where we vote on our favourite books or just sound off in general.

Last week's poll was tied the whole week, but in the end Rick Remender's Tokyo Ghost snatched the victory.

Stuff happening this week (brace for a run-on sentence): The Beauty ends it first storyline, Savage Dragon begins a new one about joining the police corps, Monstress sees its first issue reprinted a THIRD time, Southern Bastards brings its most important American Football match yet, Revival's new storyline asks what it means to be immortal in a town of living dead, aaaaaand Island Magazine adds 2 new names to the mix: Fil Barlow and Onta. The former presents his classic series Zooniverse fully recoloured, while the latter brings the dating life of anthropomorphic animals at the local pride parade.

New stuff: 2 series debut, Cry Havoc promises a mash-up of Jarhead and Pan's Labyrinth (unusual combo?). Spurrier & Kelly are joined by a small army of colourists for this one, I guess to differentiate timelines? Second up is the long-awaited Prophet: Earth War. After many delays, the final six-issue arc of Prophet is here to bring the higher-than-high concept sci-fi series to a close.

238388.jpg 238392.jpg

East Of West, Saga, Southern Bastards, Deadly Class

I'm reading more than that, both those are the big ones that will be fighting for the vote.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 01-26-2016 at 05:32 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Alright, I'm back folks after taking a break. Will be reading Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, Saga, Cry Havoc, Outcast, and Chew.

Actually, I've already read two already: Cry Havoc and Deadly Class. Reviews should be up for them tomorrow at some point. Quick thoughts on both of them:

Cry Havoc: Probably the best thing I've read from Spurrier (his dialogue is readable for once!), but mostly setup.

Deadly Class: Great issue and continues to make me believe Marcus should just be killed off and the better characters take the spotlight for good.

Also for manga this week: A Silent Voice Vol. 5 and Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches Vol. 6. Both are good, but A Silent Voice is a punch to the gut in pure emotion and drama. Probably going to be hardest and saddest thing you'll read this week.

Huge week for me.......

Black Magick #4
    Chew #54
    Cry Havoc #1
    Deadly Class #18
    East of West #24
    Monstress #3
    Revival #36
    Saga #33
    Southern Bastards #13
    The Beauty #6

Most excited for Monstress.

Chew, Cry Havoc, Monstress and Saga. Gonna be a good week for comics, methinks.

With half of my Image pulls coming out, this should be a huge week.

Yeah no kidding, this is a mammoth week it seems. And almost all of them are good series too. Sure, things like The Fuse or Chew don't tend to win polls here but they're solid reads nonetheless. Weeks like this make me think my pull list should be culled somewhat haha.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Gotta go with Prophet Earth War.

East of West and Black Magick were both good as usual, but had somewhat off weeks (Black Magick has lost some momentum and EOW is hampered by a particularly nasty opening sequences). Monstress remains solid too, but I'm still not as sold on it as everyone else is (which is fine, it's a beautiful series and I am glad it exists).

But man, Prophet Earth War just batted it out of the park. I realize the art is probably an acquired taste, but this miniseries appears to be something special.

Like everyone else, a massive week. Gonna hit the shop in a bit and read a ton of comics. Who'll win? No idea, it's anyone's game this week...

For those who read the first issue of Prophet: Earth War, is it new reader friendly? I like what I read of Prophet, but didn't finish out the series.

Quote Originally Posted by BogSurfer View Post
    For those who read the first issue of Prophet: Earth War, is it new reader friendly? I like what I read of Prophet, but didn't finish out the series.
    It actually is. Not in a way that recaps a lot of what happened before but in a way that simply gets across that what happened before isn't totally necessary. I recommend finishing the series at some point since it's really good, but this is a totally safe place to hope back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post

But man, Prophet Earth War just batted it out of the park. I realize the art is probably an acquired taste, but this miniseries appears to be something special.
    My thoughts, too. Prophet wins for me on a very impressive week.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Okay. Thought Prophet: Earth War was alright, but didn't really do anything special. Set up, mostly. Giannis is fantastic, and I loved seeing him on a full issue again, though.

Deadly Class, East of West, Southern Bastards and Outcast were all great. I really don't know what to vote for. Outcast continues to be one of the best looking books out right now along with Southern Bastards. The coloring in both books is awesome. Same with Deadly Class, honestly. Everything was great this week. A+ for Image this week.

I'll figure out my vote later.

I voted Southern Bastards. Coach Boss is my favorite villain since god knows when.

Saga was decent, especially spoilers:
    fat The Will
    end of spoilers but not enough of the characters I truly care about to win a vote.

East Of West was just okay.

Chew would've been cooler if they hadn't spoiled these parts months ago with random flash-forwards.

Deadly Class was insane, and takes 2nd place.

Black Magick was a strong issue. I love the art style of only coloring in magic, it makes the real world look so boring. I can't wait til we get a really colorful issue someday with magick left and right. The arc ending next month promises a magic fight, so it should be beautiful and might even get a vote from me if the week is light enough.

Revival was slow, I felt like the two characters stuck behind that wagon while reading it.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 01-27-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post

East Of West was just okay.

=.
    Any thoughts as to why? I would agree but it's rare for me to be less than enthusiastic about the series. I thought the over-violent opening hurt it and while the rest of the issue was a big improvement (and boy was it great to see so many long-absent cast members), it was pretty clearly just table-setting for the next arc.
    Last edited by Agent John Bishop; 01-27-2016 at 06:41 PM.