Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Wonder Woman's popularity and logevity as a recognizable character isn't dependent on anything as 15 seconds of fame in a movie.

DC's Amazon has been in the limelight with her own solo book longer than I've been alive and as far as many are concerned, she's just as iconic a character as SuperMan and Batman.

Marvel do not have a single female character on par with DC's Amazon.

Period.

Thank you.

15 seconds? Are you just referring to one movie?

Batman and Superman had their own movies and video games so please tell me again that WW is on par with them. Even Superman is losing his ground and I might even consider saying that Spider-man is already bigger than him.

You said "Marvel do not have a single female character on par with DC's Amazon." But in movies and video games, no.

Jobbroni

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    She doesn't, actually. I believe She-Hulk actually has the longest-running solo book for any of Marvel's women, and the most solo issues. (Disclaimer: this applies to superhero books only. If you take some of the romance books and Patsy Walker into account... this gets complicated.)

To Marvel's credit, I think the current powers that be recognize the importance of giving their women more exposure. They're working on it. They're doing better now than they were even five years ago.

But consider this: Wonder Woman has had over 70 years to build her profile and establish her iconic status. There's a reason she's one of a kind.

Whatever Marvel does, this isn't going to happen over night. That's just not a realistic expectation. It will take years... and lots of them. Marketing alone doesn't make an icon, time does.
    Just to add to this, Lois Lane had a comic that went continuously for 16 years.

Black Widow is probably the biggest female superhero at the moment off the back of a movie that grossed over $1billion globally and another that's grossed over $700million globally.

Sure, they're male-led/dominated, but she's still a prominent player in both and, arguably, co-lead in CA:TWS.
    I surrender to the Contest

On a positive note...

In some ways, the fact that we can argue about this as we do is a good thing. The fact that there isn't one definitive answer does sort of point to the fact that there are several rising stars right.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    On a positive note...

In some ways, the fact that we can argue about this as we do is a good thing. The fact that there isn't one definitive answer does sort of point to the fact that there are several rising stars right.
    Agreed. Marvel has Storm, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Sue Storm, Jean Grey She-Hulk, Rogue and Emma Frost. Nearly all of them heroes in their own right, all have been major players FOR YEARS in the lead Marvel comics. Now... "who is WW"... that's up for debate. I'd argue Storm, I can see the arguement for Black Widow (Carol's awesome, but she has too little outside comic exposure); what IS wonderful is that Marvel has so many major women. DC has WW and Batwoman. Marvel wins in diversity, everytime.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    At present, Marvel do not have a singular female character who can be seen as the predominant female face of Marvel on par with DC's Wonder Woman.

There's no shame in admitting this.
    None wot-so-ever.

Wot they do have is iconic (to Marvel) female superheroes. Which is in and of itself a good thing.

In the end does the OP even matter? DC is DC and Marvel is Marvel.

edit: @K_F...DC has more than just WW and BW...just so you know.
    Last edited by Imraith Nimphais; 06-17-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    DC has WW and Batwoman.
    They also have Catwoman, who's more of an on-again, off-again anti-hero at her best, and is more well known that Batwoman for sure.
    Last edited by ariwl1; 06-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

With all these bad ass ladies, we can throw Peggy Carter into the mix soon.
    Her upcoming show is bound to put her on the map.

Not to mention Netflix's Jessica Jones series.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    This question comes up every once in a while (along with what is Marvel's equivalent to the DC trinity) and the answer to both is there is no perfect answer to it. Marvel clearly wishes it was Carol, considering how she is the one most frequently pushed to try and take that role, but I don't think it's sticking quite like they hoped it would. In terms of movies it's no contest, as Black Widow even though she's never had a proper movie of her own has been a defining presence in many of the Marvel films. If we go by overall longevity and presence you bring in the top tier X-ladies, starting with Storm and Jean Grey respectively.

But to be honest I don't think Marvel should try to push anyone character to be THE defining female character at Marvel. They have so many good ones on their own.
    Good points and pretty much my feelings as well.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Back when there are only a few televisions and theaters worldwide as compared to today.

The x-men ladies have a lot of exposure in cartoons too. And they as well as Black Widow have a lot of appearances in movies ( which images are seen on tvs and newspapers ) that's seen worldwide. WW definitely leads in comics but the number of people reading comics is really little compared to the number of people watching movies. A difficult lead to overcome.

As for appearances in comics, Yes Wonder Woman takes it definitely.

There are less theaters now than the 70's more multiplexes but actual theaters no.

The overseas market is bigger but even that was not unknown back then.

Still multiple seasons as a lead in their own show how many superhero characters have done that and how many women?

How many have done it since with more channel options and distribution. It makes it stand out all the more.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I guess it depends. If your talking about the face of Marvel the all-encompassing multimedia company then it is probably Black Widow or maybe Storm or the Invisible Woman.

If you are talking about the Marvel Comics then I would think it is almost certainly Captain Marvel.

Ms. Marvel maybe? I'd like to see it be Jean Grey.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    15 seconds? Are you just referring to one movie?

Batman and Superman had their own movies and video games so please tell me again that WW is on par with them. Even Superman is losing his ground and I might even consider saying that Spider-man is already bigger than him.

You said "Marvel do not have a single female character on par with DC's Amazon." But in movies and video games, no.
    Marvel do not have any female characters on par with DC's Wonder Woman regardless of who's appeared in movies, vido games or any other medium you can think of.

She's part of the original trinity of universally recognizable heroic figures namely Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and this has been the case for as long as anyone can remember.

The fact that I grew up primarily being more into Marvel comics does not prevent me from recognizing this.

Even my Mum knows who Wonder Woman and even Red Sonja are over practically every other female comic character out there.

It's not even a competition at this point.

What do Superman and Batman having movies of their own have to do as far as Wonder Woman's popularity is concerned?

The OP asked who the "Female Face of Marvel" is in comparison to DC's Wonder Woman and not who's been in more movies and games.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 06-17-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    storm (recently) has been written as kind of a mean and overbearing boss.
    It's the mohawk that makes her mean and the dumb annulment from a perfectly happy marriage that ignited it. She went from royalty to Wolverine.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Black Widow is probably the biggest female superhero at the moment off the back of a movie that grossed over $1billion globally and another that's grossed over $700million globally.

Sure, they're male-led/dominated, but she's still a prominent player in both and, arguably, co-lead in CA:TWS.
    That was supposed to be Wasp's spot, lol. BW is not a superhero, shes an agent whos not really that interesting. I say its either Carol Danvers or Storm