Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ANAD Avengers #4

Messed up the title, forgot to put spoilers in it so...

spoilers:

- Jarvis heads to the new Avengers headquarters/garage

- new members are kinda creeped out by Vision

- Hurricane shows up in Atlantic city randomly. Avengers Assemble

- Hurricane is coming from some villain dude who makes wind or something. His banter makes it seem like he is hired to do this.

- New guys try and take him down, but ultimately can't.

- Vision calmly walks up to him and sticks his hand through his chest, incapacitating him

- JaneThor is basically YOLO'ing, which Vision is like, "weird thing for an immortal to say"

- JaneThor flies off, Stark comments how they don't really know who she is.

- oh and some meta commenting about how thsi is the B Avengers and so PC
    end of spoilers

I am liking these smaller stories honestly. Vision seems extra... weird these days though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I am liking these smaller stories honestly. Vision seems extra... weird these days though.
    Appropriately so, per his solo book.

BANNED

At least the art was better in this. The plot keeps plodding along. Wasn't expecting this book to be my least favourite Avengers book of the ANAD lineup, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    At least the art was better in this. The plot keeps plodding along. Wasn't expecting this book to be my least favourite Avengers book of the ANAD lineup, but there you go.
    THIS art is the strongest allure, really.

BANNED

I am liking these smaller stories honestly.
    I am, too. I thought this issue was particularly good. The art by Asrar certainly helped. Kubert's art on the first arc was serviceable enough but I think Asrar is more attuned to the smaller scaled, more intimate vibe of this book. Not that this issue's action wasn't handsomely handled but the character work really shines through.

I've said in threads on the previous issues that this book, with its smaller cast and shorter stories, feels like a welcome breath of air after the magnitude of Hickman's run and that feeling continues here. The re-introduction of Jarvis was great, as was his appalled reaction to the Avengers' new digs and the interactions between the team members continues to be engaging. The threat this issue was enough to need a group effort but it wasn't so colossal that all of humanity was threatened - just a small stretch of the Atlantic City boardwalk. I'm sure bigger challenges are on their way but I like that we're getting to know these people as a team first as they go up against relatively minor key threats before they have to avert the apocalypse or something.

I suspect that come summer an adjective-less team of Avengers will debut as the more traditional Earth's Mightiest Heroes version of the team but I really dig this book and hope these "understudy" Avengers, as one unimpressed bystander derisively calls them in this issue, will keep having adventures together for awhile.

Amazing Member

Anyone looking for the 1:50 variant with the sweet captain america cover? I have one available PM me

All-New Wolverine, Carnage, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch,
    Uncanny X-Men, Venom, Deadpool/Cable, Deadpool/Spider-Man

BANNED

At least the art was better in this. The plot keeps plodding along.
    I don't think saying that the plot keeps "plodding along" is a fair critique of a series that has had one brisk three parter and a one and done tale so far. Hickman took years to tell one long story. This, on the other hand, is focusing on telling shorter, punchier tales. We've already had the pay-off to two stories in just four issues so "plodding" doesn't really apply. If anything, this is a throwback to an earlier time when Avengers adventures were more easily digestible and three-issue arcs were the most 'epic' a reader could expect and one or two issue storylines were the norm.

Obviously seeds are being sown for a story ahead with the Queng Dynasty but books are always building to something. It doesn't mean that the current story is dragging.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    - new members are kinda creeped out by Vision -
    end of spoilers
    Not surprising with this particular Avengers' moment......

spoilers:
    - Hurricane is coming from some villain dude who makes wind or something. His banter makes it seem like he is hired to do this.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Supervillian's name is Cyclone and he's a villain who previously appeared within the THUNDERBOLTS Series
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    - JaneThor is basically YOLO'ing, which Vision is like, "weird thing for an immortal to say"

- JaneThor flies off, Stark comments how they don't really know who she is.-
    end of spoilers
    Looks like the spoilers:
    experienced Avengers will be trying to learn more about the current Thor
    end of spoilers.

Overall, excellent Fourth Issue of this series.

Astonishing Member

This was by far my favorite issue of the series so far. The art is a definitely an improvement in the right direction, and the story seems focused more on character interaction, which I prefer, over the primary plot stories for the last 3 issues. I wonder what's going to come from the famous kiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Appropriately so, per his solo book.
    Is it just me, or does Vision act differently with the Avengers, then in his own solo? I mean, past the weirdness, because he's got that in both books.

Could be just different writers writing the same character and just having some differences, I'm not sure.

Also, heh at the jibe of people griping about PC Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think saying that the plot keeps "plodding along" is a fair critique of a series that has had one brisk three parter and a one and done tale so far. Hickman took years to tell one long story. This, on the other hand, is focusing on telling shorter, punchier tales. We've already had the pay-off to two stories in just four issues so "plodding" doesn't really apply. If anything, this is a throwback to an earlier time when Avengers adventures were more easily digestible and three-issue arcs were the most 'epic' a reader could expect and one or two issue storylines were the norm.

Obviously seeds are being sown for a story ahead with the Queng Dynasty but books are always building to something. It doesn't mean that the current story is dragging.
    Hickman did take years to tell one story, but that story was an epic saga involving the entirety of the 616 universe. This story is about a very small group of heroes getting together to fight some baddies, and it's going nowhere fast. The problem is not that the story arcs are short, it's that nothing substantial or interesting is happening in them. The new Ultimates series had a 2-issue story arc to begin with, and ended with the team transforming Galactus into Life-bringer. Regardless of whether you like that as a plot development, it's steaming ahead of what ANADAvengers is doing. In this issue, the only real plot developments were Miles and Kamala having a chat about Vision, then woman-Thor kissing Sam Wilson.

BANNED

Hickman did take years to tell one story, but that story was an epic saga involving the entirety of the 616 universe. This story is about a very small group of heroes getting together to fight some baddies, and it's going nowhere fast. The problem is not that the story arcs are short, it's that nothing substantial or interesting is happening in them. The new Ultimates series had a 2-issue story arc to begin with, and ended with the team transforming Galactus into Life-bringer. Regardless of whether you like that as a plot development, it's steaming ahead of what ANADAvengers is doing. In this issue, the only real plot developments were Miles and Kamala having a chat about Vision, then woman-Thor kissing Sam Wilson.
    Well, first, people should remember that the ongoing complaint with Hickman's Avengers was that it was boring, going nowhere, and that he was taking far too long to tell his story. That's the reaction that was on message boards every time a new issue of Avengers or New Avengers came out. It was only in the immediate ramp up to Secret Wars with Time Runs Out that that started to fade away.

As for ANAD Avengers, the perception that this is "going nowhere fast" seems to be based on the belief that if it isn't epic and building to some giant confrontation than it isn't a story worth telling. Personally, I think the contrast between this and what Hickman did is what makes this interesting and enjoyable. I love what Ewing is doing on The Ultimates but this is a different book with a different tone. What people who do like this book like about it is that it's about the small moments, the character interactions and the more intimate scale. It's about a group of heroes of different eras and ages coming together and how that dynamic is going to play out between the old guard and the new recruits is what's appealing about ANAD. I like that a surprise kiss can be the big development in an Avengers book. I think that's a cool thing and an element that has slipped away from the team books in recent years - that the character interactions and the chemistry between the cast can be a bigger draw than the action.

It might not be for everyone but that's why there's several different Avengers titles.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

- new members are kinda creeped out by Vision

In regards to Vision I have a feeling they're doing something big with him soon as part of one of their events. Just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    This was by far my favorite issue of the series so far. The art is a definitely an improvement in the right direction, and the story seems focused more on character interaction, which I prefer, over the primary plot stories for the last 3 issues. I wonder what's going to come from the famous kiss.
    I find this statement scary, since I dislike that art style. Somehow it never looks right to me. I thumbed through the issue at the comic store and seeing the artwork, I was glad to have not get it. The idea that the earlier artwork was worse is terrifying to me.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Well, first, people should remember that the ongoing complaint with Hickman's Avengers was that it was boring, going nowhere, and that he was taking far too long to tell his story. That's the reaction that was on message boards every time a new issue of Avengers or New Avengers came out. It was only in the immediate ramp up to Secret Wars with Time Runs Out that that started to fade away.

As for ANAD Avengers, the perception that this is "going nowhere fast" seems to be based on the belief that if it isn't epic and building to some giant confrontation than it isn't a story worth telling. Personally, I think the contrast between this and what Hickman did is what makes this interesting and enjoyable. I love what Ewing is doing on The Ultimates but this is a different book with a different tone. What people who do like this book like about it is that it's about the small moments, the character interactions and the more intimate scale. It's about a group of heroes of different eras and ages coming together and how that dynamic is going to play out between the old guard and the new recruits is what's appealing about ANAD. I like that a surprise kiss can be the big development in an Avengers book. I think that's a cool thing and an element that has slipped away from the team books in recent years - that the character interactions and the chemistry between the cast can be a bigger draw than the action.

It might not be for everyone but that's why there's several different Avengers titles.
    QFT completely, the take on this book is completely different from Ultimates. I absolutely love both books, but that's also because I respect both books for what they are. ANAD is more akin to New Avengers from Bendis, Ultimates is more like Mighty Avengers but on an even grandier scale.