Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Eric Stephenson Previews What's Next for Image, Laments "Bland" Comics Industry

Publisher Eric Stephenson discusses Image's 2015 numbers, renumbering series, and what's to come in 2016, in the first half of our two-part interview.

Full article here.

Image might be single-handedly saving my passion for this medium, so thanks to him. I got the first trade of They're Not Like Us and enjoyed it a lot.

He's on point in this entire interview, especially this part:

I think I'd go even further there, honestly -- the list you're referring to is dominated by Marvel and more specifically, by Marvel first issues. Over three quarters of the top 100 is Marvel, and of Marvel's total, nearly half are first issues and nearly half are Star Wars. It's also interesting to look at "Bravest Warriors" #1 and "Orphan Black" #1 in the top five, without a single other issue from either series in Diamond's top 1,000. "We Stand On Guard" #1 may be our highest entry at #124, but all six issues of that miniseries made the chart, and I think that best underscores where we're at right now. If you combine that with our strong performance on the trade paperbacks and graphic novels chart, it becomes even clearer. Image is interested in readers. The practice of releasing new number one after new number one simply is not creating new readers, it's not growing the market, it's admitting that the books in question aren't successful enough to continue without being constantly relaunched, and the long-term result is that it diminishes enthusiasm amongst readers and damages the medium.

I'm glad Image is doing well, they put out a lot of cool stuff. But the major thing I got out of this interview is that this guy is kinda a dick. Did he really have to rag on every other company just to hype Image up?
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I don't see it as ragging. I see it as telling the truth.

He is absolutely right. What Marvel does is beyond my comprehension. Relaunch after relaunch, price increases, focussing n the Star Wars brand.
    What I can't understand that TWD is not selling higher. We stand on Guard is the highest selling single issue?

People always accuse him of being a dick after he comments on the industry as a whole. The problem is, he's never wrong. You might not like to hear it, but he's right.

They should bring back the Image superhero universe in a big way. I know it's still there, but not as prominent as it was. A shame the Image United crossover fizzled and wasn't completed the way it should have due to scheduling conflicts (Sound familiar?). But it would be a nice "back to basics" approach with the company and still maintaining their current titles for the other audiences.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    People always accuse him of being a dick after he comments on the industry as a whole. The problem is, he's never wrong. You might not like to hear it, but he's right.
    Focusing on Star wars or any other TV/FILM property makes absolute sense. And it could be argued that focusing on Star Wars DOES grow the market. Marvel's relaunches aren't as prevalent as DC's. And not all #1s are relaunches, some were new characters.

So yeah bottom line he does sound like a dick. Maybe he's trying to emulate Steve Jobs. Either way, I like some Image books, just like I like some Marvel and some DC.

Incredible Member

This guy speaks the truth. The industry is largely very bland. Even the "fresh" all new marvel is bland and same old same old to me. The books are fine, but nothing memorable.

In terms of Image, I would like to hear him address the single issue release schedules. If he wants to grow single issue sales, image has to get the release schedules under control. I would also like to hear if image plans to continue pumping out those beautiful hardcovers.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Yeah, I think Eric hit the nail on the head here when it comes to the mainstream superhero comics. Something tells me that Image would do just as bad as anyone else with a more mainstream superhero line that is not a creator owned universe. For as great as creator owned is I don't want to invest in a superhero universe which gains and looses chunks of it depending on who's working and I don't want "stand alone" superhero stories for the most part. While I don't want or need constant crossovers what I do want is an epic universe (multiverse?)with enough room for everything from dark occult stuff to crazy sci-fi stuff that doesn't treat their universe as just a marketing device for other mediums
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Why do people like to equate Marvel's Star Wars success to just Stars Wars and not the two brands?
    We need better comics

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't think there was any condescension on his part and the criticism was quite accurate. But I think it's a case where self awareness might need more pronunciation. For one thing, lamenting the bland industry and pointing out the big two gets more attention than just talking about his own company. And Image is constantly putting out new titles from mostly a talent pool made famous by the big two . Frequently I feel like we get another high concept chasing the success of Walking Dead or Saga.

Also, to bring up Star wars for Marvel at some point turns into an excuse. It's their comic and it sells.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

I have always been a Marvel man, from the time I was a kid until maybe a few years ago. And after approximately 40 years of loving Marvel, now I think Marvel sucks. I still buy Marvel titles, but after each event, more Marvel titles drop from my pull lists. Now, many of my favorite titles come from Image and independent companies I did not know existed. Marvel's comics are no longer fun to me. The characters seem to me written with the wrong voice. The stories are more watered down and childish. When I was a child reading Marvel, the stories had more gravitas. Now they just seem weak.

This guy is not wrong, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't mean the industry comments, market share stuff is fact. But the "bland leading the bland" stuff is dumb, there are lots of good books that aren't Image on the market. You don't need to make it sound like you are the sole bastion of good comics in the world for people to respect you.

DC You had tons of brilliantly creative series that were very well received. The new Vertigo stuff is also very well received and just as inventive as Image. Marvel has had lots of creative hits this year. Valiant is putting out great stuff.

Sure they have some junk, but guess what so does Image! Reyn anyone?
    Last edited by dan12456; 01-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I don't think everything is as bland as he says it is but I don't see anyone else publishing Paper Girls and Huck. Basically, comic companies need to stop with playing the same cards and focus on their strengths rather than the typical playbook. It hurts the business as a whole.