Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I don't think everything is as bland as he says it is but I don't see anyone else publishing Paper Girls and Huck. Basically, comic companies need to stop with playing the same cards and focus on their strengths rather than the typical playbook. It hurts the business as a whole.
    I'd take Sherriff of Babylon and Unfollow or Insexts and American Monster over those two any day of the week. Not an insult to any of the books as all six are inventive and different and very well done. But which you prefer is a matter of personal choice, the Image two aren't clearly better than anything else on the market.
    Last edited by dan12456; 01-27-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I don't think everything is as bland as he says it is but I don't see anyone else publishing Paper Girls and Huck. Basically, comic companies need to stop with playing the same cards and focus on their strengths rather than the typical playbook. It hurts the business as a whole.
    It's Paper Girls really just The Woods meets Lumberjanes at the end of the day? Only skewing more towards the adult side of Young Adult?

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I don't mean the industry comments, market share stuff is fact. But the "bland leading the bland" stuff is dumb, there are lots of good books that aren't Image on the market. You don't need to make it sound like you are the sole bastion of good comics in the world for people to respect you.

DC You had tons of brilliantly creative series that were very well received. The new Vertigo stuff is also very well received and just as inventive as Image. Marvel has had lots of creative hits this year. Valiant is putting out great stuff.

Sure they have some junk, but guess what so does Image! Reyn anyone?
    That's not what he said at all. Case in point:

I mean, I'm not going to claim we don't have our share of misses along with the hits, or that there aren't things Image can do better -- but looking at the vast majority of comics that came out in 2015, it was just a pretty dull year.
    And I know, there are going to be people out there with pitchforks saying that I'm claiming there aren't any good comics -- that is not what I'm saying. There are always good comics. There's too much great talent in this business for there not to be good comics, but I think the genuinely exciting new work is obscured somewhat by the sheer same-as-it-ever-was of it all.
    The fact is, he's right. Too much is bland and samey. As Marvel fan, I'm really dissatisfied these days. The state of the X-books right now in particular is a perfect example of this. The metaplot is regurgitated twice over and the flagship title is trying too hard to feel like a 'classic' book instead of doing anything new or fresh. He also hit the nail on the head by stating that the constant relaunches are just a symptom of a larger problem. Marvel and DC see an immediate return, so they keep doing it instead of just fixing what's wrong.

I also don't see the problem with him bringing up Star Wars. Star Wars has a huge, dedicated fanbase. Regardless of whoever was publishing the SW comics, they'd see good sales for it just by virtue of being a SW comic. Marvel lucked out there. Simple as that.

My favorite books right now are Image and Vertigo titles. I only read one non Vertigo DC but some of the new 52 characterizations drove me away from most of their books a long time ago. Other than a few books, Marvel has left me cold these days.
    Last edited by Beaubier; 01-27-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    That's not what he said at all. Case in point:

The fact is, he's right. Too much is bland and samey. As Marvel fan, I'm really dissatisfied these days. The state of the X-books right now in particular is a perfect example of this. The metaplot is regurgitated twice over and the flagship title is trying too hard to feel like a 'classic' book instead of doing anything new or fresh. He also hit the nail on the head by stating that the constant relaunches are just a symptom of a larger problem. Marvel and DC see an immediate return, so they keep doing it instead of just fixing what's wrong.

I also don't see the problem with him bringing up Star Wars. Star Wars has a huge, dedicated fanbase. Regardless of whoever was publishing the SW comics, they'd see good sales for it just by virtue of being a SW comic. Marvel lucked out there. Simple as that.

My favorite books right now are Image and Vertigo titles. I only read one non Vertigo DC but some of the new 52 characterizations drove me away from most of their books a long time ago. Other than a few books, Marvel has left me cold these days.
    I know he tried to put in qualifiers, but when the qualifiers directly contradict your other statements it's obviously just face saving rhetoric. He says 5 comments about how everything non-image is bland and sucks, then he throws in 1 qualifier. Rinse and repeat.

Also your Star Wars comment is just wrong, Dark Horse Star Wars never sold even remotely close to these levels. It's 100% due to brilliant marketing. Also Dark Horse was publishing Star Wars up to a year and a half ago, so its not a timing thing.
    Last edited by dan12456; 01-27-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I can honestly say that I never thought I would agree with Stephenson about anything. I still read older marvel/dc stuff, and some of their lower key titles like Dr. Fate and Spider-Man 2099, but it does feel a little bland.

I've gotten more from reading stuff from Image, Archie, and IDW.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

I'm glad Image is doing well, they put out a lot of cool stuff. But the major thing I got out of this interview is that this guy is kinda a dick. Did he really have to rag on every other company just to hype Image up?
    Not a dick at all. I nearly jumped out of my seat. Especially when he was talking about excessive no 1's.

He's a businessman that has to run a company and has to have a clear understanding of the numbers and the landscape that they find them in. Keep this in mind when you say things about people who have a responsibility to run entire companies.

He's actually listening to the fans too and that goes a long way into his assessments too.

I also beleived for YEARS that the reboot stuff is damaging the industry. I also feel that Image's publishing model is superior to Marvel and DC in terms of quality at least.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

He's telling the truth! Marvel and DC are dragging the industry way down. Reboot after Reboot. Event after Event. None of it means anything. And they crowd out everything else by sheer volume.

I'm down to two Marvel titles (Ultimates and Iron Man). And I'm pretty sure they'll be another disrupting event that'll cause me to drop them and finally be done with Marvel for good.

Make Mine Image!
    Last edited by el shah; 01-27-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Image might be single-handedly saving my passion for this medium, so thanks to him.
    Agree 100%. I stopped buying Marvel once the DnA Nova & Guardians of the Galaxy runs ended. DC's Nu52 relaunch dropped me from a ton of DC titles to about five after the relaunch and now I buy none. Occasionally I buy a Vertigo trade and even those purchases are becoming less and less frequent. Image on the other hand accounts for about 20-25 titles, only four of which are (digital) trade only purchases, Boom around 5 or 6 and another half dozen from other publishers. I couldn't afford to get as much as I do but Image and the others I buy drop the price of digital comics pretty quickly so I am usually a month or two behind but that is okay. To be honest Marvel and DC could become TV and movie only operations and let the comics go away and I wouldn't notice or care.

Amazing Member

He says 5 comments about how everything non-image is bland and sucks, then he throws in 1 qualifier. Rinse and repeat.
    He literally stated that he isn't implying that they're the "sole bastion" of good comics, and you take that to mean that he thinks Image is the sole bastion of good comics? You can disagree with the criticism all you want, but to infer the opposite of what he clearly states is a little dumb. Should he have provided his criticism in a compliment sandwich?

Fantastic Member

I'd go a tad further stating the comic industry is a facade.

Disney and Warner Bros. use their comic book divisions for bouncing ideas, testing plot ideas and characters to be used in TV and Film (real money) through focus group called comic readers. Comic books can't make money by constantly rotating creative teams and changing characters just like changing cast members, channels and viewing times for a TV show. But, rebooting and rebooting and rebooting creates short term spikes in sales and diminishing returns.

Every reboot is a jumping on point, but its also a handy jumping off point.

I'd much rather have a constant audience like the The Walking Dead for 150 issues generating steady revenue than scrambling to reboot 10 times in the same about of issues.

The difference between marvel and image is every title from image is a new idea most likely by the best artist and writers in the business and marvel and dc are properties that have been around for over half a decade in which most fans dont try new thing and want things to be the same as 30 years ago. Ex. people thinking that the new teen titans a roster form 30 years ago need to be brought back. Image is a place for new things and growth. Whilst Dc and marvel caters mostly to fanboyism and nostalgia. Not to mention Image is much more new reader accessible with first trades for only 10 dollars and dropping prices of digital issues to 1.99 after a new issue come out. With the comic book industry on the decline and probably failing marvel and dc dont really have a choice but to throw out new 1s every year and an event every 3 months. Also with dc and marvel editorial and the guys in charge seem to have more control than creators do which sounds awful.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

To say that Image doesn't profit from familiarity (nostalgia here is a little too pejorative) would be a misnomer. Consider Paper Girls and Huck, since they're specifically mentioned. And frankly, I didn't find the debut of either to be a personal favorite.

Marvel banks on roughly the same old things because that's what people buy. They try plenty of new ideas and the numbers don't support the fact that it's what the collective wants, despite much criticism.

I appreciate the pricing for image comics, but for Marvel to do the same I'd have to wonder about creator pay. I don't think industry brings in much at all even with the way Marvel sells compared to its competitors , as expensive as the hobby can be.

The first comment by the interviewer saying sales were "flat" was the only dick-y part I saw in the whole interview. Image is the only reason I read comics anymore because they constantly bring originality to the medium. Sure, there are some sucky comics in there because they aren't playing it safe like the Big Two. Huge props to Stephenson for sticking up to the interviewer and telling it like it is.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Also your Star Wars comment is just wrong, Dark Horse Star Wars never sold even remotely close to these levels. It's 100% due to brilliant marketing. Also Dark Horse was publishing Star Wars up to a year and a half ago, so its not a timing thing.
    You honestly don't think The Force Awakens has anything to do with the sales of the comics?

Mighty Member

I'm glad Image is doing well, they put out a lot of cool stuff. But the major thing I got out of this interview is that this guy is kinda a dick. Did he really have to rag on every other company just to hype Image up?
    That's sort of his thing... He more or less builds Image's image as the "cool hipster kid"...

Imagine the kid that watched this obscure sci-fi movie and is raving about how ground-breaking sci-fi movies are... But when you tell them you are a big sci-fi fan and your favorite movie is Star Wars, they'll scoff at you and give you the "OMG, I can't believe you just said that!" look... Yep, that's this guy