Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Doctor Fate #7 the perfect book to beat insomnia

Doctor Fate just can't get a break! We've had Kent Nelson, Inza Nelson, Eric Strauss, Linda Strauss, Hector Hall, Kent V Nelson, Khalid Ben Hassin (I'm probably missing more "hosts" in there) and now Paul Levitz tries his hand at writing this character again. Ugh!

Thank the Egyptian Gods that this current storyline is over... another wannabe hero questioning his life only to be saved by a deus ex machina.

I really love Sonny Liew's art but Levitz is the master of boring and clichéd dialogue and this current run is no exception to that rule. Kudos for taking everything that made “fate” enjoyable and throw it out the window in this batgirling version of DC’s premier superhero.

Maybe it’s time to go back to this? … because Doctor Fate will never be DC's premier magic hero, especially with Marvel leading the pack!

Last issue was my last. I enjoyed the first couple but this storyline has just dragged on and on and on--and this coming from a fan of long storylines! I'd love to support a Dr. Fate series but the current one completely lost my interest.

Astonishing Member

They need to stop having a rotating chair of Dr. Fates depending on which editor is in charge. It was a crime they got rid of Hector and I still don't understand why they had to off him for the brief Gerber based reboot that didn't last long (because of his unfortunate passing). They could have easily spun the character off like what JSA had done for Hawkman instead of the failed Helmet of Fate and Countdown to Mystery that failed to promote the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    They need to stop having a rotating chair of Dr. Fates depending on which editor is in charge. It was a crime they got rid of Hector and I still don't understand why they had to off him for the brief Gerber based reboot that didn't last long (because of his unfortunate passing). They could have easily spun the character off like what JSA had done for Hawkman instead of the failed Helmet of Fate and Countdown to Mystery that failed to promote the character.
    That's the problem I think. The powers that be have stated that the character is about the helmet not the man or woman beneath the helmet. Kent and Inza Nelson should be staples of the mythology like Clark Kent is Superman or Hal Jordan is Green Lantern.

As to the current Dr. Fate series, it's excruciating slow and issue 7 was my last as well. I don't think I can handle more smartphone messaging in this comic anymore

Really strange that my pull-list is mostly Marvel these days and I've always been a huge DC fanboy so looking forward to the Doctor Strange movie!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Kent and Inza Nelson should be staples of the mythology like Clark Kent is Superman or Hal Jordan is Green Lantern.
    Well, Clark Kent is Superman, and that doesn't change much. (Although the current Earth-2 Superman isn't Clark Kent or Kal-el.) But the original Green Lantern - back in the days of Kent and Inza Nelson - was a fellow named Alan Scott (it was supposed to be Alan Ladd, but they thought that was too on-the-nose - the actor with that name showed up later!). And a lot of people have been Green Lantern since then. So I'm not sure that's the best example.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Well, Clark Kent is Superman, and that doesn't change much. (Although the current Earth-2 Superman isn't Clark Kent or Kal-el.) But the original Green Lantern - back in the days of Kent and Inza Nelson - was a fellow named Alan Scott (it was supposed to be Alan Ladd, but they thought that was too on-the-nose - the actor with that name showed up later!). And a lot of people have been Green Lantern since then. So I'm not sure that's the best example.
    OK bad example but my point is that Kent Nelson is what for me anyway made the character which is the same for either Hal or Alan... but with the gls I always liked how one was mystical and the other more sci-fi
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

BANNED

Make him Kent Nelson. Lose the idea that it's all about the helmet. Power him down sufficiently that you can subject him to credible threats. Oh, and into the trash can with inflated storytelling.

BANNED

I would prefer either Kent or Inza returned to the mantle... or just a return to Dr. Fate being the 'seasoned' magician of DC rather than some kid that's in way over his head.

That said, I am sticking with current series for now, it's entertaining enough and it's opening the door to another group of gods that aren't the Olympians.

BANNED

It's kinda hard to write a popular comic about GAWDS. That doesn't seem to stop anyone from trying though, does it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's kinda hard to write a popular comic about GAWDS. That doesn't seem to stop anyone from trying though, does it?
    Looks at Thor, Darkseid War, Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

I wish DC had some equivalent to Aaron's Thor run. They certainly have the characters, but they need in some more world building in this new continuity.
    I'd LOVE a New Gods ongoing or a Sensation Comics centered around DC's mythological characters (WW as main characters but not sole focus).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I wish DC had some equivalent to Aaron's Thor run.
    They had in Azzarello's Wonder Woman. Maybe not in the high-flying, smashing planets against each other kind of way, but quality-wise there was no shortage there.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    They had in Azzarello's Wonder Woman. Maybe not in the high-flying, smashing planets against each other kind of way, but quality-wise there was no shortage there.
    I meant currently. I loved Azzarello's reimagining of the gods

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Looks at Thor, Darkseid War, Azzarello's Wonder Woman.
    Yep, I KNEW that would be the first response. How did I know?

For how many years was Thor a marginal comic? The Darkseid War is an event, not an ongoing. And except for a few blips, Wonder Woman has never sold well.

Why would anyone want to do that? It's just not a smart model to follow. And the sales of this comic are bearing me out.

This didn't work. Don't defend it. Come up with a different idea.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-01-2016 at 07:54 AM.

BANNED

One of DC's best books imo. I'll be sad to see it go. I'm glad that this new Doctor Fate is a brand new character and that fact that he's not your generic white guy is a huge plus.