Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Heh, pretty much what I thought when I saw the title but if you mean someone that responsible for a lot of popular characters Gerry Conway and Schwartz fit the bill
    Really? Because the only character I can think of that he created which is relatively popular would be Firestorm. I'd say John Broome or Carmine Infantino are more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc did not have Stan Lee which is probably why DC has been trailing Marvel since the bronze age. Since the bronze age, DC has been trying to copy Marvel's better characterizations but up to now DC still has no genius like Stan Lee or William Shakespeare. DC does have lots of idiot managers.
    you should probably do a little research on this "genius" Stan Lee. the guy was very good at brand marketing and rallying the base but i would suggest looking up what legends like Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, etc. have to say about working with Lee.

here's a blurb from an article on the subject of Lee vs Kirby, with Stan Lee quotes:

Stan would often just phone in a suggestion and Jack would do the rest, delivering the pages for dialog to be added. For example, Stan said something like "this month have the Fantastic Four fight God" and Jack then created the Galactus saga, perhaps the greatest comic story ever. Famously, when Stan first saw the Silver Surfer he asked "who's this guy?"
    "Very often," Lee has said, "I didn't know what the hell [Kirby] was going to give me. I’d get some pages of artwork, and I wrote the copy and turned it into whatever story I wanted it to be ... It was like doing a crossword puzzle. I would try to figure out what the illustrations meant and then I would put in the dialog and captions.” (Source)
    Kirby would even add blue pencil notes for dialog. Stan would then add the actual dialog (which often contradicted what Jack wanted, but Jack seldom had time to read the finished comic).
    In 1968, the magazine "Castle of Frankenstein" #12 published a Stan Lee interview where he said “Some artists, such as Jack Kirby, need no plot at all. I mean I’ll just say to Jack, ‘Let’s let the next villain be Dr. Doom’… or I may not even say that. He may tell me. And then he goes home and does it. He’s so good at plots, I’m sure he’s a thousand times better than I. He just about makes up the plots for these stories. All I do is a little editing… I may tell him that he’s gone too far in one direction or another."

so yeah, Bob Kane is an apt comparison. but at least there was a time when Stan openly admitted that Kirby does the lion's share. you'd never hear Kane say anything like that about Finger or Robinson.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-29-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

I would say the closest would be Stan Lee's son; Jim Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

I wonder if there are similar strips about how Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and others would be without the collaboration of the likes of Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby... I seem to recall having seen something of a solo Stan Lee Spider-Man, but I'm not sure.

Peace

DC's Just Imagine line is want Stan's work is like without the legends that helped create it.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc did not have Stan Lee which is probably why DC has been trailing Marvel since the bronze age. Since the bronze age, DC has been trying to copy Marvel's better characterizations but up to now DC still has no genius like Stan Lee or William Shakespeare. DC does have lots of idiot managers.
    Most likely a troll but this poster is clueless.

For Dc, the most important creators were probably Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams whose dark batman version is still dc's main money maker in comics, tv and movies. For Wonder Woman, the kingdom come wonder woman with sword and shield by Alex Ross has been most influential and is now the version in both comics and the movies. Superman's best update maybe will come in the next reboot. For superman, my favorite version is the John Byrne weak superman which is no longer being used. The only memorable Superman I can remember was the Jeph Loeb Superman. For Flash, the speed force of Mark Waid has been most influential. For Hawkman, the egyptian version of Geoff Johns seems to be winning and his Aquaman updates are also ok. The most memorable Justice League is probably still the god like JLA of Grant Morrison. The current Stan Lee of dc is probably Geoff Johns who is actively pushing his versions of the dc icons.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 01-30-2016 at 05:32 PM.