Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Main Character Killed Early in the Game on "DC's Legends of Tomorrow"

One of the main cast members of "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" met an early end in the second episode of the Arrowverse spinoff. SPOILERS!

Full article here.

All-New Member

By not ever including Falk/Hawkman in your summary as to who was starring in the show, you helped tip this off to me, at any rate, two weeks ago. Way to go.

Saw this coming months ago. The actor they picked was awful, even by CW standards, which told me he wasn't a priority to get right. His powerset is utterly redundant. And starting them off already in a commited relationship blocks all the drama and shipping that is central to CW shows. Only clue I missed was the one Rico picked up about him not being listed as a star.

All-New Member

This show is a hot mess and that actor is awful anyway.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Waller dies on Arrow and Hawkman dies on Legends. Flash is due for a death me thinks.

I haven't been watching this (should I? How is it?) but Hawkgirl was the only Hawkperson mentioned early on in anything reported about the show, so when they started featuring Hawkman in promotional materials I kept thinking "jeez, do they really need that guy? Surely they're gonna Doyle* him right off"

*Doyle being the main character in Angel, billed second or third to David Boreanaz and Charisma Carpenter, who SPOILER was killed in the 9th episode never to be seen again. Except that was the result of quick show-retooling and WASN'T planned from the start, whereas this certainly was.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Hawkman and Hawkgirl are both not very good actors, but Hawkman is especially bad. I will say that this show has a D-movie vibe that I enjoy, like it's one of those Asylum films. I used to watch those all the time just for a laugh. I love the lack of real environment at times, the forced drama, all that stuff.

I wasn't surprised he got the axe, though. Two sorta winged folks would cost a penny.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-28-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Spectacular Member

So, only about 4 more really bad actors (can we say dead wood?) to go.

Out of the two hawk people, they should have gotten rid of the girl.

Spectacular Member

There are at least 2 versions of the Doyle/Glenn Quinn story. In one, Whedon planned on killing him off from day 1 and got Quinn to take the part because he was a close friend.

Another rumor is that Quinn was originally brought in as Doyle because Max Pelich (Whistler from BtVS) had too many drug issues to cast him in an ongoing series. May be true, but probably not.

At some point they'll do a story where they go find Hawkman from the recent past, and him meeting Hawkgirl and the Legends is what sends him (and Vandal) to look for her in Central City thus setting up the Flash/Arrow crossover from last year and completing the circle. Time loops!!!
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drizzt View Post
    There are at least 2 versions of the Doyle/Glenn Quinn story. In one, Whedon planned on killing him off from day 1 and got Quinn to take the part because he was a close friend.

Another rumor is that Quinn was originally brought in as Doyle because Max Pelich (Whistler from BtVS) had too many drug issues to cast him in an ongoing series. May be true, but probably not.
    The story I've always heard, to the extent that it seems fairly safe to consider it likely, has elements of both of those. It's that Max Perlich wasn't available to play Whistler so they got Glenn Quinn to play a very similar character, but quickly found that the Angel/Doyle/Cordelia dynamic wasn't the right balance for the show, compounded by behind the scenes problems with Quinn due to his drug problems. (Which is easy to imagine, given the nature of his passing shortly thereafter. :/) However, Whedon publicly played it off as if the character's death had been planned from the start, not just to save face but to for the sake of Quinn's reputation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drizzt View Post

I didn't know that rumor about the actor who played Whistler. If true it would be a sad irony given Quinn's own drug issues and how it was rumored that's why his character was axed early on.

The death of Hawkman is no great loss to me, in fact I think the show could also stand to lose Heatwave. He seems a bit redundant given we have another fire based hero and even in the paper thin rationale for having these specific characters it's pushing it more than a little to have him on the team. Snart has been established as having a conscious and would go along with Rip Hunter's mission but Rory seems a liability. Maybe he could go rogue and join with Savage and possibly be replaced by another hero.

It really sucks to be Hawkman, doesn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post

The death of Hawkman is no great loss to me, in fact I think the show could also stand to lose Heatwave. He seems a bit redundant given we have another fire based hero and even in the paper thin rationale for having these specific characters it's pushing it more than a little to have him on the team. Snart has been established as having a conscious and would go along with Rip Hunter's mission but Rory seems a liability. Maybe he could go rogue and join with Savage and possibly be replaced by another hero.
    I don't want them killing off Heatwave before we see the entire Rogues together at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I didn't know that rumor about the actor who played Whistler. If true it would be a sad irony given Quinn's own drug issues and how it was rumored that's why his character was axed early on.
    (I think it's possible Drizzt was simply conflating Perlich's unavailability with Quinn's drug issues..apologies if not though! And sorry to have hijacked this Legends of Tomorrow thread to talk about Angel for five posts now!)